Author Topic: Horsey Jacknife?  (Read 12275 times)

Offline Whiskey Banjo

• Bourbon bullets
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Horsey Jacknife?
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2013, 01:32:12 PM »
I make my own hoof picks to clean my horses feet.. never liked the folding picks because they always break or get so gummed up from dirt and grime its a pain to open. Nothing beats having a simple hoofpick hangin from ur suspender loop. I imagine most cowboys wouldnt be into the gimmicks of folding hookpicks and hoof picks with knives and gadgets. Hoof picks do a job, a tough job.. and need to be strong and durable to last. If i get a chance ill post some pics of different ones ive made.

But im also a natural horseman, mainly dealing with wild mustangs.. so shoeing is something i dont really do often.. all of my horses are barefoot. Which IMO is how a good horse with good feet should be.
SASS#97496. RATS#667

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2013, 06:02:51 PM »
Hi,

My 'character' would not have owned a horse ... was essentially a farmer turned miner who decided that working leather was far more easy than being part of a sluice box team ... the kind if guy who I am guessing would probably rent a horse from the local stable ... and this type of horseman's  jack knife would probably be just fine ... but I will keep in mind storing the pick  on a suspender ... that makes a lot of sense ...

TTFN,
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Sacramento Johnson

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2013, 08:10:20 PM »
Howdy!
 Just find yourself a nice high carbon one or two blade barlow. 
I looked at some traditional looking navajas, which would also be period and place correct for California mid-nineteeth century and earlier (like Muela's high end ones, but the price was a bit much, and the style of knife didn't look to be too practical.)

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 01:41:49 PM »

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2013, 09:25:13 AM »
Sacramento,

First, Hola! Nice to hear from you!

I bought what I think may have been the last horseman' knife from KV Supplies: I will try to put a pic of it on this post ...

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com