Author Topic: Maynard Rifle  (Read 2262 times)

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Maynard Rifle
« on: May 16, 2013, 12:44:30 AM »
Hi,

Just guessing, but this seems to be the best place ...

http://www.latinamericanstudies.org/civil-war/Maynard-gun.pdf

Please feel free to move this if I have put it in the wrong spot but I feel this is a missing link very few know about .....
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Maynard Rifle
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 03:11:13 PM »
Hi,

As the article states, this was issued to the Southern States as a sniper/'Special Ops" rifle (and issued to alot of Cavalry).

Not using primers, it was the perfect rifle for the South to use, as they were unable to make them. Brass cartridges were in short supply, but as long as one kept the brass, they could be reloaded at any time .... no precision instruments needed.

The cartridge had an inner 'ring' (my word) that stopped the cartridge at the right spot ... in a worst case scenario, one just filled it to the ring and loaded a bullet...

In a less hectic moment, 60 grains of black powder would fill it up to the "ring"...

Me and my Maynard:

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com