Author Topic: .51 cal Maynard Ballistics?  (Read 8185 times)

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
.51 cal Maynard Ballistics?
« on: April 12, 2013, 12:18:15 AM »
Hi,

Does anyone have the original Ballistic specifications for this Rifle?

My guess is that it is about the same as a modern .45 Colt ... again that is just a guess ....

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
Re: .51 cal Maynard Ballistics?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 09:54:20 AM »
I walked 6 steps to my library and pulled out my tattered 3d Edition of Cartridges of the World.

.50-50 Maynard is listed with a 350 gr bullet for 1270 fps, and a 400 gr. @ 1210 fps. They also have a one page history of Maynard's cartridges and dimensions for the .50-50 1882 version.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 10:40:42 AM »
I walked 6 steps to my library and pulled out my tattered 3d Edition of Cartridges of the World.

.50-50 Maynard is listed with a 350 gr bullet for 1270 fps, and a 400 gr. @ 1210 fps. They also have a one page history of Maynard's cartridges and dimensions for the .50-50 1882 version.

Some day I will have a fat library on shooting .... I can see right now that I need to get my hands on a Cartridges of the World ...

BTW, I have a Model 1 in .51 Cal ... a Larry Romano Replica ... I dont know what year It is modeled after ... the patents are for 1851 & 1856

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:59:34 PM »

Offline sharps1863

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 11:33:29 AM »
I have a Type II Ramshorn Reproduction, have not had a chance to shoot it, yet but it came with a Lyman .50 cal. 515-139 mold that the previous owner used with it. Load he used was 25 grns of 2f in a reduced capacity Brass case. I think the full load case will hold 40 to 45 Grns. This .515-139 Lyman mould cast a .514 diameter 330 grn Flat nose bullet. This Link might be helpful.
http://www.civilwarguns.com/9804.html
Now a member of the Spencer Shooting Society #430
Shooter of 1-Trapdoor Springfield 1- Maynard Carbine- 1- Brunswick Rifle- 1-.50cal Hawkin- 2 -1858 Remingtons- 1- 1851 Colt Sheriff-1- 2nd model Dragoon- 1 .75cal Brown Bess Carbine-and now 1- Armi Sport 56/50 Spencer
 Maybe I like Black-powder guns too Much

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 06:09:05 PM »
Hi Y'all,

The reason  I need the ballistics (weight of bullet X Velocity) would give me a an indication of whether it could be sent downrang at a standard SASS style range...

In other words, where does the Maynard's impact fit into the impact of standard pistol cartridges?

TTFN,

NCOWS #3403

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 06:19:10 PM »
Hi Y'all,

The reason  I need the ballistics (weight of bullet X Velocity) would give me a an indication of whether it could be sent downrange at a standard SASS style range...

In other words, where does the Maynard's impact fit into the impact of standard pistol cartridges?

TTFN,

I don't imagine the bullet would exceed 1400 fps.  In all likelihood the mv would be closer to 1000 fps and would strike steel about the same as a 56-50 Spencer or a standard 45Colt.   TTFN yourself
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 10:01:41 AM »
WW,

What barrel length do you have on your Maynard? (20 inch or 26 inch)
What shooting ranges are you looking at?

My reason for asking is... the N-SSA shoots at 50 and 100 yards in most of their competitions.
In most conditions, the reduced capacity Maynard cases serve them well at those ranges.

Blair,

The barrel is 26" ... actually 26 1/2". I suppose that would make an slight difference on impact, but would it affect a standard 50 ft range? Although I have found that it gives about 900ft/Sec out of the barrel, I have stillnot found any info on what it would be like at the berm ... would it tear it up?

NCOWS #3403

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 05:39:44 PM »
Hi,I'm thinking I have an amalgum rifle... I have the Tang site and aft stock mounted ring of the 1st Model, but do not have the tape box of the 1st Model....

I am told that the Second Model was missing the tang site and that the Second Model had these Sights: Rear barrel sight with flip up long range blades, steel blade front sight.

Any thoughts?

NCOWS #3403

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 10:30:24 PM »
Blair,  I stand with head bent ... I apologize for placing the wrong pic in cascity,com.

I thought the 1st models had e Cap Tap dispenser and that the later models did not ...

TTFN,

NCOWS #3403

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 09:05:10 AM »
Blair,

Aaah, That explains it .... glad that I know ...

TTFN,

NCOWS #3403

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2013, 09:06:21 PM »
TTFN,

Would you like some images that might offer some help in this somewhat complex identification?
I still have you e-mail address I can send this to, if you would like?
My best,
  Blair

Blair.

I would love it; any edification I can get would be positive ....

TTFN,

NCOWS #3403

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2013, 01:19:20 PM »
Blair,

Got the email and am now watching it ... thanks!

TTFN,

NCOWS #3403

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com