Author Topic: .45-70 Gov with Blackpowder for 100 meters (110yards)  (Read 4044 times)

Offline Cutter

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
.45-70 Gov with Blackpowder for 100 meters (110yards)
« on: April 09, 2013, 03:14:59 AM »
I´m pretty new on this, an reloading experience about .45-70gov BP is very rare in Germany.

Bought a IAB Sharps 28" these days very cheap. Get some Brass also.

Planning to do

- CCI 200 or CCI215 mag
- FFG ?
- Droptube
- Lead FN  405gr ? + grease
- Polywad+Newsletter-Paperwad
- no Crimp

Any Opinions?

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
Re: .45-70 Gov with Blackpowder for 100 meters (110yards)
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 08:53:19 AM »
I don't use a drop tube but I vibrate my cases after powder is put in. Then compress about 1/16". I use grits for filler, if I need a filler with a thin compressed paper wad between powder and filler and a newspaper wad over the filler. I DO crimp because it works for me. Other people do not because that works for them. I use Swiss 1 1/2 and can shoot multiple rounds with no hard fouling, just using the lube that is carried in the grooves in the bullet. To develop a load start with 40gs or so and work your way up to a max load. Keep track of group size how the load was built etc. It won't take you too long to develop several good loads. I increase my load by 2-3 gs as I work my way up. WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Cutter

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 04:49:16 AM »
Thanks for input  :)

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:20:52 PM »

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 07:08:42 AM »
The key is to use a bullet cast from relatively soft alloy (usually 20:1 or 30:1) that will completely obturate and seal the bore.  It must also have a soft lube that is compatible with black powder. Try to find a bullet design that carries a lot of lube - you want to have a lube "star" on the end of the muzzle.  That indicates you have sufficient lube to coat the entire bore and keep the fouling soft.  By doing that you can shoot long strings before needing to clean the bore.

My rifles are typically happy with a 405 grain bullet of this type with approximately 55 grains of black powder - which is the old US Army cavalry load from that time period.  I have a Sharps that will put three rounds into less than 20 mm at 100 meters.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Cutter

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 12:15:11 AM »
You have a 34" Sharps ?
I´ve 405gr RN RN Bullets, soft alloy. Wanne grease them with Nivea.
Ordering some Bullets in .458 with 419gr and 350gr with special Blackpowdergrease.
Brass is from Winchester.
Using RCBS dies.
Whats the difference between my (normal) RCBS dies and RCBS Cowboy dies? Only a slightly greater diameter dimension for leadbullets?

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 11:38:22 AM »
Actually, my Sharps is a carbine version with 26" (66 cm) barrel.  Yes, the cowboy dies typically have a slightly larger expander in them.

You want to be sure to use a non-petroeum based lube with black powder.  Petroleum based lubricants result in rapid formation of very hard fouling.  That means frequent cleaning and is a real pain.

I have a lever action in 38-55 as well as my Sharps rifle.  I can shoot a two-day match (75+ rounds) without cleaning.  At the end, I can clean the bore with 4 patches.

The best cleaning solution I've found is what we term "Moose Milk".  It is a 10:1 dilution of Ballistol in water (an oil/water emulsion).  The water is what dissolves the black powder fouling, and when that evaporates, the mineral oil left behind lubricates the bore and provides corrosion protection.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Cutter

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 12:01:25 AM »
Loading yesterday a few BPCR with 55grains up to 65gr. I´ve two types of 405gr Leadbullets RN and RN with an FN.
With my normal sizing die the first ones goes with water- based lube (Nivea-Creme) easy in the CR. Die other ohnes have a slightly thicker base, so i damage two piece of brass.

Using also a ballistol/water emulsion to clean the bore after a cas match. Shooting a taurus-rossi (only 38spl), piettas (EMF) and a Boito (similar stoeger coach gun). The shotgun is very easy to clean, the rest... ::)
Industrial emulsion for drilling works also and is much cheaper.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com