Author Topic: Modifying 50-70 Government Cases  (Read 2051 times)

Offline paledun

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Modifying 50-70 Government Cases
« on: March 25, 2013, 12:48:43 PM »
I am in the process of modifying 50-70 Government cases to provide 56-50 caliber cases to reload for an original Spencer Carbine.  While Starline makes 56-50 brass, their rim diameter is not wide enough to provide reliable ejection.  Since the rim of the 50-70 is just right, many Spencer shooters are using them.  And, most Spencer shooter are reloader, as I am, but not fully experienced with a full range of reloading experience.  That is why I thought to bring my questions to this forum.  No concerns with cutting the longer case and trimming to proper length.  Been doing case trimming for years.  But, I have never had to address case wall thickness in the past.  This is a concern with the wall thickness of the trimmed 50-70 in the chamber of my carbine.  I have an additional thickness of .006 inches in total diameter due to the thicker wall thickness when compared to original Spencer rim-fire cases.  Not much but chambering and extraction is difficult.  My question is the best next step, outside wall trimmer or a neck reamer?  I have no lathe to secure the case so I expect to use a Forster or Pacific trimmer to hold the case.  With that simple set-up, outside or inside?  Cost, outside or inside?  Since a 50-70 case is over $1.00, I want real consistency, outside or inside?  Thanks, in advance, for your best advice.  Paledun

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
Re: Modifying 50-70 Government Cases
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 10:39:02 PM »

Offline JimBob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 12:41:09 PM »
Inside neck ream,you want to maintain exterior uniformity and taper.They make neck ream dies with a reamer but they are expensive.

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/836935/rcbs-neck-reamer-56-50-spencer

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/120662/rcbs-neck-reamer-die-56-50-spencer

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:12:51 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com