Author Topic: '92 Cartridge Guides  (Read 4937 times)

Offline SPQR476

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
'92 Cartridge Guides
« on: March 10, 2013, 07:58:29 PM »
Howdy,
    So I just finished slicking up a Braztech '92 .45 using the NKJ video and a bunch of prior gunsmithing experience...but with no previous work on the '92...which leads me to this question.  Very happy with how it came out...with one exception--if I cycle the gun fast, it runs like a champ...but beats up the cartridge rims a bit.  If I cycle it slow, everything works as advertised until the cartridge rim hits the front "ramps" in the cartridge guides.  It hangs up there.  It seems the ramps are too steep for the bolt to push the rim "up and over"  the slots in the guides. 

I've heard of shimming the guides, but there doesn't seem to be much room in there as is...it barely clears. Is this where I should start looking, or is there something else this could be?  Stoning the top front edge of the cartridge guide slots?
Sam "The Bishop" Parker
SASS 97652

Offline SPQR476

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
Re: '92 Cartridge Guides
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 12:52:25 AM »
OK... I guess it was more expectation management than anything.   As long as I run the lever reasonably fast, it will feed a tube full of semi wadcutter dummies, and the brass doesn't get jacked up rims, so I can live with it.  I still buffed up the ramps in the cartridge guides, but probably didn't need to.  I guess I just can't expect it to feed like a '73, which makes sense.
Sam "The Bishop" Parker
SASS 97652

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 11:57:54 AM »
Part of your problem may be the semi-wadcutters.  92s don't like semi-wadcutters.  Go with RNFP.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:54:07 PM »

Offline Paladin UK

• UK`s 1st Warthog
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Have Gun.. "Might Travel"
    • White Knight Ranch... Homestead of Paladin UK
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 02:16:47 PM »
Pettifogger says...

Part of your problem may be the semi-wadcutters. 92s don't like semi-wadcutters. Go with RNFP.

+1
Paladin (what uses the DD PUK Big Lube in his #92 ) UK
I Ride with the `Picketts Hill Marshals`..... A mean pistol packin bunch a No goods

The UK`s 1st Warthog!!... Soot Lord, and Profound believer in tha....`Holy Black` 
 MASTER... The Sublyme & Holy Order of the Soot (SHOTS)
  BWSS#033  SCORRS  SBSS#836L  STORM#303

Real Cowboys Shoot with BLACK POWDER!!

Paladins Web Site

Paladins Very Own Shotshell Loader This is an animaton so it takes a while fer the 1st page ta go..

Offline SPQR476

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 05:05:54 PM »
It's not the bullets...it does the same thing with RNFP and JHP.  I merely used the SWC to indicate that it actually feeds quite well if I work the lever briskly.  It feeds JHP, SWC, RNFP well if worked reasonably fast.  It feeds none of them smoothly when worked slowly.
Sam "The Bishop" Parker
SASS 97652

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 08:06:31 PM »
My Rossi doen't like two things-SWC bullets AND/OR working it slowly. Don't baby it, work it briskly and it should work ok. Mine is a 38/357 and it doesn't even really like the 158gr so called RNFP that most vendors sell, that have the tiny front band in front of the crimp groove. It's favorite was the Hornady 140gr  swaged RNFP that really is almost a truncated cone bullet, loaded in .38 cases.

Now have an Uberti '66 carbine, it eats about any bullet I feed it, fast or slow.

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 170
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 08:14:59 AM »
My wifes 92 likes the Lee 125g RNFP in a 357 case or the 105g TC in a 38 spl case. I think it likes the 105 a little better. WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Four Eyes Henry

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 03:08:56 AM »
I've never worked on the cartridge guides, just shot it a lot and it will feed empties now.
However I never noticed the rims getting beat up, so if there's a burr on the guides you might stone it a little.
Shimming the guides maybe necessary if it is "stovepiping"
DWSA #102
SASS  #16042
BDS    #2197

He will come to your house carrying a sixpack of goodwill and joy. The Reverend Horton Heat

http://www.youtube.com/user/foureyeshenry1

Offline SPQR476

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 11:41:52 PM »
Just polished the guides up a bit more with felt wheel and rouge, after removing a small burr in the left guide channel.  Feeds empty cases now.  I still can't get lazy with the lever, but the rims aren't damaged.
Sam "The Bishop" Parker
SASS 97652

Offline Bugscuffle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 04:19:59 PM »
The Rossi '92 has a case of bipolar disorder. The guns that are chambered for .44 mag/.44 Spec need to be cycled more slowly when firing the .44 Spec. rounds and the rifles chambered for .45 LC seem to like the action cycled not so much faster as more firmlly. Of course when you try to cycle it "firmly" you end up cycling it faster as well. At least this is what I have found in putzing with my '92 and the few that I have worked on.
I will no longer respond to the rants of the small minded that want to sling mud rather than discuss in an adult manner.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com