Author Topic: Newbrassky (Cliff's Notes)  (Read 6616 times)

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Newbrassky (Cliff's Notes)
« on: October 05, 2005, 01:07:29 AM »
With all the new folks round here, perhaps we should do this again and not lose it in the thread.

Folks see this and are over whelmed with it cause at this writin' it has well over 400 pages.  Well like a soap opery ya can just sit in fer a few days and get with the flow.

It started several threads ago one time when TFS was down and a welcome to a new pard got out of hand. ;D  It moved to Tall Tales and we traveled around a bit, somewhere in Wyo., south of Dodge to hunt buffalo and even a side trip to Fort Sill.  It was always a bit silly, but based to some extent on history, improbable history, but most in it grew up on Peabody and Sherman. ;D

At one time I bounced round between threads, but found myself gettin' lost.  So I packed up and moved to the best place on earth, the Nebraska Sandhills, called the new thread Newbrassky cause I forgot the e in New-Brass-Key, ;D from the 1950's song Delaware. :o  (A lot of history in this thread)

Well for a while it was mostly Slim and I, his Google vs my historic knowledge with others here and there, Trinity a lovable drunk and moonshiner. (Moonshine was and still might be made in those hills)

One day TFS died again and a Frumpy Fairy Godmother appeared in the thread in a poof of sawdust.

There have been many stopped for a while, our dugout got so crowded that Delmonico sold a Wyoming diamond mine to some folks from back east.  (really happened in the 1880's) 

Any way he oreded a pre-fab ranch house frome back east with flush toilet. (Yep Bay State Cattle Company, 1880's Nebraska)  He chose the Wedgewood  toilet with matching dining set.  (High class back then) :o ;D

Somewhere along the way I found many doing CAS and Living History listened to Firesign Theater in there sometimes miss-spent youth and we became "Bozo's on the Bus" (I still have on vinyl) :o

Much is based on history of the area, Steam Traction engines show up in that period, Delmonico had to have one, he named it Mannheim the Steam Traction engine with a Roller, (Yep Chip Davis is a local boy made good startin' out doin' Old Home Bread ads and doing the 1970's song Convoy)

Mannheim blew up through misuse, very common with these dangerous devices. 

If ya need a fill in on anything hollor on this thread, I invite any other Bozo's to add to this very short Cliff's notes.  Oh as for Cliff, another local fella, I used to buy seegars from him after he sold the notes company and opened up a Smoke shop. ;D

If ya want to locate us on the map, find Halsey National forest and go to the middle and cross the Dismal River, there is where we are, upstream from Dunning.  BTW, that forest ain't there in the Tale, it is a product of the CCC in the 1930's the largest hand planted one in the world. ;)

This was and still is a region that ain't got no trees to wreck the view, I like it cause I is a Plainsman.

Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 111
Re: Newbrassky (Cliff's Notes)
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2005, 09:30:25 AM »
As far as I can tell, the time frame is the 1870's - 1890's. We haven't stated the exact years, so anything in that time frame is fair game.

At one time, Slim brought in a wagon load of seedlings and planted where the forest currently is.

We have cattle, pigs, laying hens, a rooster or two, a milch cow, 3 dawgs, a cat or a dozen, horses (of course), a buck sheep (Trinity's drinkin' pardner), Frankenbird, etc.

Watch out fer the flying plates. They took Slim away once and probed him in places ya don't want to be probed.  :o

We also have a Bohunk bunkhouse.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005, 10:30:22 AM »
They got me three times Slim, didn't bring me back for over a week each time. ;D

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:46:45 AM »

Offline Joyce (AnnieLee)

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 05:21:23 AM »
The black helicopters got Slim a time or two, and the Frumpy Fairy Godmother didn't show up as a result of TFS being down. I'd been lurking over a year, then posted in the Longbranch a bit before writing to Del about joining in on Newbrassky.

AnnieLee

Unrepentant WartHog
Heathen Gunfighter
Pepper Mill Creek Gang
RATS
and
Wielder of "Elle KaBong", the WartHog cast iron skillet
Nasty Lady

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005, 09:39:51 AM »
My 'memberer don't always work well, I do think I was stuck in the house cause I was  makin' bread, but that's half the time I'm on most the day.

Slim got lost out in the trackless hills at least once,  in fact Slim seems to get himself into all kinds of strage trouble. Like the time he got caught molestin' a en-dangered species of Penstemon. ::)  I think thats the first time the black helly-copters took him away. ::) 

Trinity found a strange ring down in the Dismal that had magic powers but Delmonico took it to the Black Hills and placed it in a crack near the top of Mt. Harney where it was destroyed. ;D

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Brazos Bucky Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2005, 01:50:52 PM »
Me? ???  I ride in and out of the thread on my mouse colored horse frequently.  Ol' Brazos don't turn down a meal, unless it is sheep! >:(  Remember in this time frame a cowboy worth his salt had no use for sheep! :P  I like teasin' folks and Del is an easy one to tease 'cause he has so many strange and wonderful ideas!  And can that fella cook!  Ol' Brazos follows not to far from Del with his knife and famous fork in hand! ;D ;D ;D  Oh yeah, and he has a bit of a thirst too, borrowin' a jug now and then from Trinity! ::)
Brazos Bucky
"A man oughta do what he thinks is right."
BOLD #566, NRA Life (Endowment)
SASS #59058, SBSS #1605, SCORRS

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2005, 11:27:00 PM »
By the late 1880's telly-fones started to come around even in some areas away from town.  The Sandhills region it is so far away from towns and even ranches are some distance, often several miles.  Lines are expensive so there were a lot of fones connected by barb-wire fences, not totally reliable esp in the rain. but better than nuthin'. 

Well this Delmonico got him this coal-oil (kerosene) computor and hooked it to the bob-wyre fence.  A latter soft-ware up-date and hookin' it to all four strands gave him "Broad-Band. ;D

He uses this in his office/bedroom to order things, strange but mostly period-correct items, most come the next day, delivered by the "Over-Nite Pony Express." ::)

He has a wire-less lap top, but alas it is not reliable cause the FFg shoots his pigeons. ::) ;)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Scattered Thumbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2005, 11:18:56 AM »
Scattered Thumbs has been impersonated by all 4 of the infamous Dalton Brothers, awkward cousins of the original Dalton gang. Those not very bright outlaws got separated from each other and are now drifting around the Sandhills trying to regroup. Occasionally they have appeared by the ranch. This has upset Litl Rooster that suspects them to be the ones rustling his cattle. He is mistaken though, the Dalton brothers are Bank and train robbers (like their famous cousins) and not rustlers.

Offline Joyce (AnnieLee)

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2005, 11:30:13 AM »
The Frumpy Fairy Godmother was not the one who started shooting the wireless pigeons. Delmonico shot hers when she ordered the material for the greenhouse after Trinity took the original material and turned it into a bizarre sculpture!  The sculpture is still there, along with the replacement greenhouse, as well as the claptrap bunkhouse Trinity made. The claptrap house is out by the pig sty.

Oh yeah, there's also a shed made out of potted meat product.

So there.

:P

Unrepentant WartHog
Heathen Gunfighter
Pepper Mill Creek Gang
RATS
and
Wielder of "Elle KaBong", the WartHog cast iron skillet
Nasty Lady

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2005, 02:17:37 PM »
I fergot about shootin' yer pigeon, I think I was a bit under the weather when I did that. ;D

I tried to forget about the potted meat product.   ;D  (Look for it in the store by the canned tuna, read the ingr.  Yum Yum.  Back before the Pure Food and Drug Laws of 1906, a lot of what was sold as canned Deviled Ham was this instead of ham.  Underwood Deviled Ham dates to the late 1860's and the Red Devil is the oldest Trademark still used in the US.) :P

In the shed is a hand pump fire rig, the owner Hand Tub (Slang term for hand pumped fire rig) has went to St. Louis to find a wife, expect more from him this winter, I think he's found one, a real nice lady. ;)

<Author's Note:  We use the sideways triangles to go out of charactor to 'splain sumthin'.  Sometimes Arthur does it though.>
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Here's to Miss AnnieLee!
    • Trinity aka Chicory Kid Rides
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2005, 01:17:26 AM »
A background on Trinity:

Trinity was born in the mountains of North Carolina.  He has no education and his oldest living relative at the time of his birth was his great-great-great-great-Grandmother.  This is due to in part to the mountain lifestyle and the fact that his people coupled early in life.  The males don't usually last long, however.  They are generally clumsy and not very adept at much except distilling, drinking and fighting. 

His family has been moonshining since they appeared in the mountains in the late 1600's.  No one knows exactly where they came from, they just appeared.  His family became world renown at distilling so much so, that, while Trinity was a youngster, they had visitors from all over the world to learn from them.  Despite the lack of formal education, they learned much from the visitors.  From the French, they learned how to make wine from the local grapes, known as muscadine.  From the Germans they learned how to brew a wide assortment of beers from local grains and seed brought from Germany.  From the Spaniards and Italians, they learned how to flirt.

Trinity earned the nickname of "the right hand of the devil" when he exhibited an unnatural skill with the handgun.  This got him into trouble when he killed the wrong person back home.  The killing forced Trinity into flight so he landed one evening in the Longbranch and met Delmonico.  Loving food, he decided to join him.  He hasn't had much need for his gun much since he moved to Newbrasskey... except for the time that Delmonico hired Bruce Dern on.  Trinity didn't like what he had done to John Wayne, so he dug his gun out of his chest and killed him before Delmonico could get any work out of him.

One if Trinity's brothers is roaming about somewhere near Newbrassky but is seldom seen.  He is known as Bambino (but hates that name!), "the left hand of the devil".

At the "Ranch with No Name" Trinity is very happy.  He has his own hammock and a host of cooks to prepare all sorts of goodies for him.  Stoneypete knows that Trinity loves bacon and will often prepare large portions for him.  Delmonico always has some Sourdough prepared and will cook up some interesting and delectable dishes.  On occasion Gophergrease shows up and cooks something extraordinary.  When the men are all away, the FFG will begrudgingly cook.  When it's meat it's great, but she took to making "Squash Glop", which Trinity abhorred.  He secretly believes that the FFG knows this and does it on purpose. 

In a nut shell, Trinity only likes food that once lived, walked and made a noise.  He is known to have said: "If it walks, crawls or slithers".  Of course, he will eat winged critters too.

Trinity resumed his occupation of distiller but had to hide his still from Delmonico.  He built several decoy stills which were well hidden, but easy for Delmonico to find.  He keeps them fired just as he does his "real" stills so that if Delmonico won't know any better if he wishes to contaminate any of the product.  So far he has not attempted to contaminate anything at the production site, but he will not hesitate to add some castor oil to an unguarded jug left around the house.

At his "real" stills, Trinity produces a wide variety of liquors and grows his own materials, whether it's corn or grains.  He drinks a great amount of what he makes, but also sells some of it with Gophergrease to the miners (Ask Del and they're Minors, that troublemaker!) north of the ranch.  In the meantime, a couple new pards have arrived at the ranch who also enjoy Trinity's recipe. 

Aside from eating and drinking, Trinity has a weakness for ladies.  There's a wagon of travelling "sportin' ladies" that set up permanent shop just east of the farm run by Mrs. Kate Collingwood that Trinity likes to visit.  Sadly, and to Delmonico's delight, he has come back several times with more than he left.  When this happens, Delmonico gets to torment poor Trinity with his remedies.

Due to his upbringing, there are two things that Trinity lacks:  An accent that all people can understand and the periodic need for a bath.  No one has complained about his accent, but his bathing habits have indeed bothered some, especially the FFG.  On at least two occasions she has forced him to bathe and worse yet... wear new clothes.  She even once made him wear a set of new clothes that were so stiff that he looked like a Robot when he walked.  Regardless, Trinity allows this because he knows she means well.  He constantly tries to show his appreciation, but it never turns out right.  He tried to build a greenhouse but it ended up looking like a piece of futuristic art.  Then he built a bunkhouse but she used her magical abilities and moved it over by the pig sty and then moved all of his belongings into it.  Undaunted, he simply moved back into his old room.

Trinity loves animals (besides as food also), especially those who like to drink with him.  One drinking buddy is a sheep that he named Sheep.  Another was a chicken that Del beheaded and was about to cook, but instead grafted the head of a rooster onto it and named it Frankenbird.  Frankenbird is always drunk and Trinity is not quite sure where he's getting the hooch.

There are three dogs at the ranch (none of which drink).  Duke is the male and was lonely until Trinity found Daisey and Claire (named after his favorite pastry:  Eclare).  Both of the females are getting fatter with each passing day and Duke is very tired.

Trinity is very happy at the "Ranch with No Name" and does not foresee leaving any time soon.

<<I think that about covers it.  I may have missed a few details and hope I didn't distort anything too terribly, but that's a good introduction to Trinity.>>
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2005, 08:22:48 AM »
litl rooster keeps a case of paper towels next to magic ritin box to wipe up the coffee.....
Mathew 5.9

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com