Author Topic: WTK About Reloading  (Read 3712 times)

Offline Grenadier

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
WTK About Reloading
« on: February 13, 2013, 10:16:25 AM »
Since I recently picked up a Henry and a 1873 Colt, it seems I am going to either pick up reloading or move into the poor house and try to obtain a government suppliment to afford fodder for these critters. I have always been fortunate enough to be interested in firearms that feed on cheap European surplus ammunition. Well, with the recent scare and a dwindling supply of 7.92 I have decided I need to start reloading.

I am considering starting out with a hand press, because I am a cheap $%^#$% and also I want to be sure I will continue this adventure. I would only be loading BP for my 19th century firearms, so I am looking for any advice to a novice on the handpress and which brand. I am leaning towards the Lymann, since it does have a more "period correct" appearance.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: WTK About Reloading
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 10:53:04 AM »
First thing to do is get a couple of reloading manuals and read every bit of the referance material in them, twice is even better.   When that is done is the time to ask more questions.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 05:02:41 PM »
+1 on what Delmonico said.

That being said, I haven't ever used the Lee hand press, can't comment on it. I have used the Lyman 310 tool quite a bit( was my first reloading tool). I wouldn't mind reloading a few rounds at a time with it, but it gets tiring after a while. If you want to load a box of 50, that's squeeze the handle 50 times to de-prime &neck size, 50 more to neck expand, 50 more to seat primers, 50 more to seat bullets. Probably end up with hand cramps, but eventually develop an iron grip! If you have a place to bolt one down, I'd go with some kind of single stage press for starters(I still use one after 40 years).

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:02:05 PM »

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 06:50:10 PM »
I would look for one of the Lee Turret reloading kits, like this one:

https://fsreloading.com/lee-precision-value-4-hole-tp-kit-90928.html

It gives you most of what you need to start reloading, and has enough capability to accomodate increasing demands, and is an easy resell if you find out you dont like/want to reload.  It also makes a dandy 2nd press if you really like reloading and eventualy go to a full progressive.

Unfortunatly, it seems reloading supplies are short right now, because of the recent panic buying, but I suspect these presses will be back on shelves in a short time.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Online Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 06:57:12 PM »
While the Lyman 310 has an ol'timey look, it does require its very own sets of dies.  It is not that good for full-length resizing.  

OTOH, the LEE hand press takes the regular, virtually universal, reloading dies which can be used on whatever press you buy next.  I use it as my main press, but don't load in great volume.  It has versatility and enough power for most reloading tasks.  

Some will argue for starting with a bench mounted single stage press. It is simple and easy to learn the art of reloading.

Others will say that as you will inevitably graduate to a progressive press you might as well get one right off the bat. Well, I finally, after 48 years of reloading, got a Lee progressive, (The same one that Drydock uses) but it hasn't seen that much use.  It is handy in that you can set up the die-ring and merely rotate it by hand when you need the next die.  When changing calibers, just pop in the appropriate die ring; - all set up!
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 07:16:35 PM »
I would look for one of the Lee Turret reloading kits, like this one:

https://fsreloading.com/lee-precision-value-4-hole-tp-kit-90928.html

It gives you most of what you need to start reloading, and has enough capability to accomodate increasing demands, and is an easy resell if you find out you dont like/want to reload.  It also makes a dandy 2nd press if you really like reloading and eventualy go to a full progressive.

Unfortunatly, it seems reloading supplies are short right now, because of the recent panic buying, but I suspect these presses will be back on shelves in a short time.

I pretty much agree with Drydock on this however they also carry the hand press which I do have and use. I have 3 Lee presses the Lee Classic Turret, Lee Classic Cast and the Lee Hand press. I use the hand press at meets to decap my brass after shooting BP to get them in soapy water quickly so as not to really turn which doesn't take long. I have also used it to make a load at that range testing some various hand loads however others I've seen load all the time on them. My advise though if you are going to get into loading then get some books such as Lee's, Lyman's etc. Also if you plan on using cast bullets get the Lyman's Cast bullet hand book and the Black Powder book as both will be a great assets to you. Another with no loading data but still worth the price is the ABC's of Reloading as it covers all of the basics to advanced loading for everything.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 11:36:23 AM »
Ditto what others are saying ... a LEE turret press is a great, economical way to get into reloading.

I have 6 presses on my someone long reloading bench. One of them is a LEE turret press.... my very first press ever in fact, and it still gets more use that any of the others.

Rick

Offline Lumpy Grits

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 02:14:08 PM »
Been use'n a Dillon 550 for over 25+ yrs.
Been reloading for over 47 yrs.
A 'hand-press' gets old PDQ! ;)
http://www.dillonprecision.com/
LG

'Hav'n you along-Is like loose'n 2 good men'

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 08:13:04 AM »
Despite all other posts, go get those books and read them first and then worry about what press you are going to buy, that's part of the idea, it allows you to make a more intelligent choice on your own, not what someone on the internet says to buy. 

We could give opinion on what to wear to work also, that could be just as interesting.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline yeti76620

• Reverend Sassquatch Dawg
  • Top Active Citizen
  • It's a good day to die....
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 09:42:25 AM »
Welcome Grenadier:

As I read YOUR posted question as opposed to those who have IMPOSED upon your request you will be load'n up the "holy black" into a 44 of some sort or in 45 Long Colt brass......  The The Darksider's Forum is really goooood stuff and I like it a bunch...

These cases are BIG in Volume to accommodate the amount of black powder needed back in the day so fill them up with the proper FF or FFF for the wheelie or rifle.....  I mix'm EVENLY to make 2.5f for GOOD Smoke and BIG Boooom in both revolver and rifle....  Less then full Black Powder cases folks balance the hole out with corn/wheat meal...  Sounds like you're across the big pond and all you can reload in is Black Powder anyways...or not?

That SMOKIE-less "Fad Powder" is a DIFFERENT story....  :o  :o  :o  :o
SSSSssoooo those 7.62 [  ??? 7.92  ??? ] rounds find a recipe from the powder MANUFACTURER YOU ARE USING..... then adjust slightly to improve ACCURACY of the weapon you are load'n for.... bullet type & weight--primer--powder type & amount.....

I'm a single stage guy my own self 'cause I enjoy the process and sooosss to makes sure that I'm NOT double charge'n the cases with smokie-less plus good inspection throughout....  Red-Neck progressive: I gots single stage presses set up for each step.... ;D

That Coosie fella is always dress'n funny for work then goes 'round push'n his Nanny-ist weight abouts... You're a SMART Guy... ;)
NRA LIFE Member     SASS #76620     SCAA #1    RATS #480    OUTLAW

“Lord, make me accurate, my aim true, and my hand faster than those who would do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be "If only I had my gun"; finally Lord, if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.” ...... Amen

http://www.nationalgunrights.org/
CONTACT YOUR POLITICIANS: http://www.ruger.com/micros/advocacy/takeAction.html

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2013, 02:34:10 PM »
And Yeti prefers everyone asks questions of folks they don't know rather than reading books wrote and published by the people who build the stuff you will be using.  If that's what you want go for it, I've said my piece,,that's what the world has came to, ask someone you don't know really has any knowledge on a forum board rather than read the material the people who make the gear and supplies puts out. 

In fact Yeti has worked for years in that industry like those folks have.  If you believe that I'll sell you a bridge, who knows, it might even have a troll under it. ;)

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline yeti76620

• Reverend Sassquatch Dawg
  • Top Active Citizen
  • It's a good day to die....
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2013, 03:49:34 PM »
And Yeti prefers everyone asks questions of folks they don't know rather than reading books wrote and published by the people who build the stuff you will be using.  If that's what you want go for it, I've said my piece,,that's what the world has came to, ask someone you don't know really has any knowledge on a forum board rather than read the material the people who make the gear and supplies puts out.  

In fact Yeti has worked for years in that industry like those folks have.  If you believe that I'll sell you a bridge, who knows, it might even have a troll under it. ;)

LOL.... too funny.....LOL

as usual Cookie your mother is call'n ya and you're DISMISSED.... :-\  :-\  :-\

As stated Grenadier, you are a Smart Guy.... ;)  Check out the Darksider's Den here at CAS City....  ;)
NRA LIFE Member     SASS #76620     SCAA #1    RATS #480    OUTLAW

“Lord, make me accurate, my aim true, and my hand faster than those who would do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be "If only I had my gun"; finally Lord, if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.” ...... Amen

http://www.nationalgunrights.org/
CONTACT YOUR POLITICIANS: http://www.ruger.com/micros/advocacy/takeAction.html

Offline Grenadier

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 07:41:25 AM »
Thanks gentlemen!

7.92 is European for the 'Merican 8mm Mauser  ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com