Author Topic: Anyone have a picture of a Spiller & Burr next to a '58' Remmington?  (Read 4553 times)

Offline Tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
I would like to see the size difference between the two.
Thanks

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Anyone have a picture of a Spiller & Burr next to a '58' Remmington?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 07:24:21 AM »
A brain fade, scuse please!

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 476
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 03:01:06 PM »
Tornado,

I have the Palmetto Whitney .36, which is the same size as their Spiller & Burr, but steel framed.
I will take a pic and post this evening.

Will that be sufficient?

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Advertising

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 05:14:03 PM »
I don't have a '58 rem anymore, but I do have a pair of Spiller & burr, they are quite a bit smaller than the '58 Rem. They're the size I wish somone would come out with in a .36 cal Remington, not just a .44 frame with a smaller hole in the barrel, like what they offer now as a "Remington Navy".

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 07:50:31 PM »

And also for comparison, the Euroarms .36 and the Uberti .36:

"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 07:31:41 AM »
Thanks guys, that really helps.  I am thinking about picking one of these up later this year to go with my Remmington.

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 08:12:38 AM »
RCJ, my biggest complaint with the Remingtons has always been the grip, primarily where it transitions into the trigger guard.  For my fat fingers this has always created a tight spot that is not present on the Colt style guns.  Am I wrong or does the same situation exist with the S&B?  It is the only gripe I have ever had with the Pietta '58s and I have heard others say the Uberti is smaller and the situation is even more noticeable?   

Offline Tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 09:23:41 AM »
I noticed that too, my Pietta Remington is not as comfortable as my Colt style guns.  My Remington is sitting on Hoof Hearted bench right now, in line to do some internal work.  My original plan was to do more work on it but I decided to save my money on my next project, a Dragoon.  I think I might get the Spiller & Burr later on just so the Remington has something to match up with.
Hey, any excuse for another gun is a good excuse right?  ;)

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 04:08:57 PM »
I have often wondered about the Rogers and Spencer, the grip looks to have more room behind the trigger guard BUT at the same time it looks a bit funky.  These things are very subjective and one will only know if they try the gun for themselves.  Buying new guns 'just to see' can also get a bit expensive in the long haul!

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 04:03:46 AM »
Truthfully the only Remington that ever banged up my middle finger at the base was my Cimarron Conversion in .45 Colt. Supremely accurate and functioned flawlessly, but insisted on bruising my knuckle. And I am "fat-fingered", being a mere broth of a lad. ;)

It saddened me to sell it off, but I won't own a mule that insists on biting me every opportunity I work with it.

RCJ
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2013, 09:03:09 AM »
Actually it does not not bruise me but is just an uncomfortable grip that doesnt feel natural.  It is a shame that these were so close to being the ultimate period weapon but then they designed it with a solid one piece grip plus frame construction. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com