Author Topic: Other than shooting events, what else can the GAF do?  (Read 7528 times)

Offline G.W. Strong

• Grand Army of the Frontier, (Bvt.) Colonel, Commander of the Department of the Missouri
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • GAF, Department of the Missouri
    • Talbot's Fine Accessories
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Other than shooting events, what else can the GAF do?
« on: February 04, 2013, 10:44:35 AM »
The division of Illinois just nailed down our schedule for 2013. We will have two matches. Both are lat summer. That got me thinking--other than shooting, what else can we do in the spring and other times when the range might now be available? In order for the GAF to be a growing organization we need to be an active organization. Can anyone think of things we could do?

I am always thinking...
George Washington "Hopalong" Strong
Grand Army of the Frontier #774, (Bvt.) Colonel commanding the Department of the Missouri.
SASS #91251
Good Guy's Posse & Bristol Plains Pistoleros
NCOWS #3477
Sweetwater Regulators

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Other than shooting events, what else can the GAF do?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 10:57:12 AM »
There are parades all over the country all the time. You might also form, if you haven't all ready, a Color Guard and do funerals for Vets.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 472
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 11:04:48 AM »
One thing that I would like to see, especially as we held several Musters there, is for GAF to help support the Friends of Ft. Hartsuff in maintaining this very important site. One of two extant Indian War era forts still preserved in close to original configuration.

We have some 700+ members. If we could canvass the membership on a volunteer basis to commit to a $5.00 per member donation each year, the GAF could adopt Ft. Hartsuff.

Col. Pitsptr would have more info. I feel Ft. Hartsuff is a most deserving candidate in as it is off the beaten path (where else would you put a frontier fort?) and suffers from lack of public attendance and support.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:35:34 AM »

Offline G.W. Strong

• Grand Army of the Frontier, (Bvt.) Colonel, Commander of the Department of the Missouri
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 11:06:29 AM »
One thing that I would like to see, especially as we held several Musters there, is for GAF to help support the Friends of Ft. Hartsuff in maintaining this very important site. One of two extant Indian War era forts still preserved in close to original configuration.

We have some 700+ members. If we could canvass the membership on a volunteer basis to commit to a $5.00 per member donation each year, the GAF could adopt Ft. Hartsuff.

Col. Pitsptr would have more info. I feel Ft. Hartsuff is a most deserving candidate in as it is off the beaten path (where else would you put a frontier fort?) and suffers from lack of public attendance and support.

RCJ

I think this is an excellent idea. I visited the Fort last year after the Department muster and it was wonderful!
Grand Army of the Frontier #774, (Bvt.) Colonel commanding the Department of the Missouri.
SASS #91251
NCOWS #3477
Sweetwater Regulators

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 03:46:01 PM »
GAF does the Color Guard for a lot of matches Winter Range for Example.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 12:26:34 PM »
A basic membership in the Friends of Fort Hartsuff is only $10. Not sure what all you get with that or if it is just the knowledge that you helped a worth while cause. I was just elected to the BoD of the Friends on Sunday so it will take a little while for me to gain the knowledge of the workings of the Friends so I can answer more questions.

They/we (The Friends) are discussion the possibility of hosting a Thanksgiving dinner at the fort as a fund raiser. This would probably take place around the first weekend in December. We could use some uniformed volunteers to help with it. I'll post more information when I have it.

To answer Major Strong's original question. Ned Niederlander, Terry Lane and I host US Military firearms display each year at the fort. We usually have somewhere around 500 people visit the display over the weekend. See the thread: http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,39992.0.html

Ned and I are also discussing the posibility of shooting the US Service Rifle and the Vintage Bolt Action matches at Cornhusker State Games in period clothing. We figure that not only would it be fun, but we'd have people ask us about the uniforms and that would give us a chance to tell them about the GAF.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Bow View Haymaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 02:21:59 PM »
Lets Keep the postal matches going.  I now it doesn't get everyone in the same local but maybe local groups can get together to shoot the targets for it.
There was mention one time about the GAF trying to become a CMP afiliated group so that our matches would qualify for the shooting portion of the CMP rifle sales.   
We could also just get together with a couple of GAF friends and got to a local museum in uniform, or just shooting our local SASS matches in uniform. 
I am thinking about shooting the "open" class GAF style at an upcoming SASS match.

Just a few rambiling ideas.
Bow View Haymaker

GAF #522  Dept of the Platte
SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

www.HighPlainsShootersSupply.com

Offline Gripmaker

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 09:40:32 PM »
Yup! Shoot in uniform at any match you go to. I do this every match mainly to get people to ask questions and because I'm now so used to it.  Going to try to talk new local club into having a military long range shoot this year along with a monthly match. Now to get a battle rifle.

LTC Montgomery Little , Senior Chaplain, GAF

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 10:22:10 PM »
Yup! Shoot in uniform at any match you go to. I do this every match mainly to get people to ask questions and because I'm now so used to it.  Going to try to talk new local club into having a military long range shoot this year along with a monthly match. Now to get a battle rifle.

LTC Montgomery Little , Senior Chaplain, GAF
Now you must be tired of shooting SAAs at 200+ yards and 44-40s at 500, what will it be now, Krags at 1000? ;D

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 06:57:51 AM »
Some very good suggestions here. 

The GAF is more than just a shooting organization.

You could also hold a dinner, not unlike the banquets at the Musters.  Do a little socializing. 

See if your local club would allow a GAF posse during a match, or hold a side-match at a larger match. 

Hold a seminar on firearms and/or uniforms. 

The sky is the limit. 

US Scout
GAF, Commanding

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 08:30:18 AM »
Lets Keep the postal matches going.  I now it doesn't get everyone in the same local but maybe local groups can get together to shoot the targets for it.
There was mention one time about the GAF trying to become a CMP afiliated group so that our matches would qualify for the shooting portion of the CMP rifle sales.  

Thanks for the reminder. Both of those were my projects and I dropped the ball on them. I need to get back on them.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline G.W. Strong

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2013, 01:57:07 PM »

See if your local club would allow a GAF posse during a match. 

Hold a seminar on firearms and/or uniforms. 

These two look like things I can do without a lot fuss. In general shooting in uniform is a way to promote our organization.
SASS #91251
NCOWS #3477
Sweetwater Regulators

Offline Sam Perfye

• Top Active Citizen
  • Al Weaver
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 06:07:20 PM »
To all, it doesn't have to be an organized event. I've worn uniforms out for the evening with my wife, always starts a conversation and I've got three recruits coming to monthly matches this summer to see what we're about. Wear your uniforms and talk to people. The interest is there, the public just needs to know who we are. Al.
Raise the Black Flag and ride hard boys, Our cause is just and our enemies our many.

Offline Pony Racer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2013, 06:43:34 PM »
I wear my Revenue Cutter garb to all my CAS matches.

Sometimes I wear my GAF insignia with it and sometimes just my Revenuer insignia.

At the bigger matches I still get alot of questions and have fun answering them.

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy
Member Fire & Brimstone Posse
Having fun learning the ways of the cowboy gun
WAHOOOOOOOOOO YEHAWWWWWWW

Offline Gripmaker

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2013, 10:30:53 PM »
Pony Express,  Don't want a Krag. I plan to get a truly magnificent piece of shooting equipment...a 96 Mauser. I don't think there are sights made that can get a Krag to shoot that distance without the use of artillery sighting calculations.  OK guys, let me have it!

BTW,  I have found that the old 44 WCF loaded to 1300/1400 fps (1800s vel.) can knock down some pretty heavy stuff at 500 yds. I was truly amazed. Gonna take some of those rounds to Whittington this year and have at the "Banana Rock".

LTC Montgomery Little, Senior Chaplain, GAF

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2013, 11:07:09 PM »
Krag sights go well beyond 1000 yards, but it's not going to reach with "GAF/SASS" level loads, of course. Swedish Mausers will do it easily, too, though. Or will you be looking for a different nationality of '96? I believe the Boers used them in 7mm.

Offline Bow View Haymaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2013, 10:53:29 AM »
I wore my pseudo uniform to a SASS match on Sunday.   I often were a GAF button from one of the musters with my SASS badge or instead of it.  A couple of clubs around Tucson/Tombstone offer an open category for shooters to go a Second time.  It is usually a few of the top shooters who do this.   I know the Tucson group and maybe one of the other ones will let me shoot GAF style.  I would just be shooting against myself for GAF practice but it might spark some interest.  I think I would either use my "Scout" rifle and reload one pistol or use the Trapdoor and just shoot 5 pistol shots and skip the shotgun altogether.  depending on how many people at.  the match.  I don't want to hold things up (I'm slow enough already) or throw anyones game off by doing something so "different".  I will let you know how it goes.  

don't know when I will get to a match again.  My back is worse than ever and the 2+ hour drive to shoots here don't help.  Sorry to say, I don't think I will be making it to a muster this year.  Wife wants to go to California the same time as the DOMM muster.and there is a bunch of other stuff in October.  Maybe things will change.

Carry on!
Bow View Haymaker

GAF #522  Dept of the Platte
SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

www.HighPlainsShootersSupply.com

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2013, 09:39:32 AM »
Pony Express,  Don't want a Krag. I plan to get a truly magnificent piece of shooting equipment...a 96 Mauser. I don't think there are sights made that can get a Krag to shoot that distance without the use of artillery sighting calculations.  OK guys, let me have it!

I have to agree with you on this one, it's hard to deny (if you are really honest) if there was a better 19th Century military rifle round as good as the 6.5X55, Norway made them in Krags for those who have to have a Krag.  Perhaps the best battle rifle round ever even as well as one of the best hunting rounds, makes me wonder why Winchester ever did the 270.

Now I'm going to mention something, I don't know a lot about it, but know some, not even sure it would really be legal for GAF, but that is not for me to decide.  Like all those old rifles, the 6.5X55 has some chamber variance, the sons of the Vikings still use those rifles for long range shooting and there is a minor chamber clean-up that takes it to maximum I believe specs or maybe slightly over.  It's called the 6.5 SKAN and there is slightly oversize brass for it.  If I remember right it's OK to shoot regular 6.5X55 in them, but the 6.5 SKAN just makes everything better.  I'm sure with a little searching one could come up with more info on it.

As for if allowed, that is not for me to decide as I said, just wanted to toss it out.   ;)

Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2013, 11:09:36 PM »
Haven't heard of that version of the 6.5. In Europe, they have two loadings for the 6.5X55, regular for Mausers, and a lower level load for the Krag rifles. I don't know about performance in battle for that particular cartridge, but have read that the 6.5 Carcano suffered from having the bullet too well stabilized, they tended to make straight through flesh wounds, where some of the other rounds were not as stable and would tumble after impact.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2013, 07:20:28 AM »
Haven't heard of that version of the 6.5. In Europe, they have two loadings for the 6.5X55, regular for Mausers, and a lower level load for the Krag rifles. I don't know about performance in battle for that particular cartridge, but have read that the 6.5 Carcano suffered from having the bullet too well stabilized, they tended to make straight through flesh wounds, where some of the other rounds were not as stable and would tumble after impact.

The Carcano had that weird gain twist rifling.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com