Author Topic: Seems hard to get a CAS rig nowadays...  (Read 18071 times)

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Seems hard to get a CAS rig nowadays...
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2013, 09:36:36 PM »
I would suggest asking leather artist Will Ghormley for a rig. He's built holsters for movies lick 3:10 to yuma,  and the assignation of Jessie James.  Check out his selection at willghormley-maker.com. You won't be disappointed.  I think his prices are good. 
Ride Safe and Shoot Straight.
Rick.

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2013, 08:42:58 AM »
I end to have become a bit of a fan of the 'Gamy' gun leather lately, though I am not very competitive myself.  The lines and finish of the holster shared by Deuce really intrigue me.  It shares much from the traditional look and the competitive features desired by many, thanks for posting it Deuce as I will be making some new holsters for my Schofields soon AND...  Slowhand 'The Copycat' Bob

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2013, 10:39:55 AM »
What barrel length are your guns? Are your NM #3's modern made and if so, by whom? The Beretta Laramie is essentially a NM#3 Target (drift adjustable rear sight). Although the John Wesley Hardin or Miller-Fechet style, with cartridge loops sewn to the holster body are easily doable, IIRC, SASS rules don't allow ammo to be drawn from them in a match, and I personally don't like the safety aspect because it is possible to whack a primer with the muzzle of the gun if you miss the holster on re-holstering the gun! If it is just for looks, then I'd put a couple of dummy rounds in such loops.

In most instances I ask 4-6 weeks turnaround for a rig, although sometimes I can get one out sooner. Just depends on my backlog and personal scheduling at the time the order is received.

Sending you a PM.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 12:35:26 AM »

Offline Camano Ridge

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2013, 11:49:24 AM »
Trail rider carify please you say SASS rules do not allow rounds to be drawn from loops during a match. If you are carring the rounds in those loops to the loading table and loading your revolvers at the loading table with those rounds how is that not alright. SASS rules do allow amunition to be carried on the holster

• Ammunition required for reloads during the course of any stage must be carried on the shooter’s person in a bandoleer, cartridge/shotshell belt loop, pouch, holster, or pocket or be safely staged as required by stage instructions.

I fyou are carring them to the loading table to load there it is no different then carring them on belt slides gun belts etc and loading at the table.

Just trying to get clarification of what you said to make sure I am not missunderstanding it.

Offline Abominable Bill

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2013, 04:34:51 PM »
Thanks to all who have posted something constructive to add.  ;D
My revolvers are not true S&W NM3's but Uberti Russians that I have had modified to be similar.
I have pictures of them over on the Frontier Iron forum here at Cas City
I have had a leather smith contact me because of this post and he will be working on making the rig I am hoping for.
The loops on the holsters will carry the bullets to the loading table
When I am on the line shooting those loops will be empty
I'll never make it to EOT or any other big match
I will only ever shoot local monthlys and I doubt there will ever be an issue if I pull a bullet from a loop on the holster versus that on the belt.
Kirkpatrick makes a rig named after a popular shooter that has loops on the holsters.
As far as hitting one goes... well I'm a little skepical of that... yes it could happen; but let me tell you how I load all of my CAS bullets
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/647702/lee-classic-loader-45-colt-long-colt
Yup... it's a tedious job... one at a time
In the 6 years that I have loaded them that way... yup, 6 years...
I have, on occasion seated the primer, before putting the case through the resizing process
The resizing process with a Lee Loader involves whacking the lubed case into the sizing die with a plastic mallet
Yup I have smacked the primed case square on with a plastic mallet with enough forces to drive it into the sizing die
I don't think I could ever drive the revolver into the holster with the same amount of force
This is my experience and I understand all of the Rocket Science involved and the subject is not open for debate.
Thank you
AB  ;D

Offline Massive

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2013, 02:02:16 AM »
Told me a matching strap of leather with some holes in it and a buckle was going to cost me as much as what most others sell a John Wayne style gun belt cost
No thanks

Well there is your answer why they aren't writing back.  The folks in business can make and sell another Wayne holster and belt in the time it takes to take down the average custom order, not to mention what happens when it comes back because the client changed his mind over some detail.  Meanwhile the average customer will probably resent paying for the more expensive product while the better value stock product is still dancing in his head.  Custom costs, but a lot of people don't want to pay for it, or value it.  That is why in the richest country the world has ever known the average person wears a pair of ill fitting sweat pants, made in China, while even 50 years ago tailored clothing was being purchased even by the lower classes.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com