Author Topic: Dang it, I'm still confused!  (Read 3745 times)

Offline Bugscuffle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Dang it, I'm still confused!
« on: December 30, 2012, 09:40:36 PM »

I've looked and asked and tried my best to understand the rules about holsters and shooting styles and the rules just don't make sense to me. When I look at "The Rules" ( http://www.sassnet.com/Downloads/2011ROMaterials/SASSHandbook-17-2011.pdf  ) They only describe the holster requirements for "B Western" and "Classic Cowboy", and they only describe the shooting styles for Classic Cowboy, Duelist and Double Duelist.

Classic Cowboy
Revolvers must be shot duelist or double duelist style. See Duelist description for required shooting technique.

“B” WESTERN
Any main match revolver.
Revolvers may be shot in any SASS–legal shooting style, at the shooters discretion.

GUNFIGHTER
• Any Main Match fixed sight model revolver.
• Only Gunfighter Style or Double Duelist Style may be used.
• “Gunfighter Style” is defined as shooting with a revolver in each hand.

“Duelist Style” is defined as shooting a revolver cocked and fired one handed, unsupported.
The revolver, hand, or shooting arm may not be touched by the off hand except when resolving a malfunctioning revolver problem or when transferring the revolver from one
hand to the other.

• “Double Duelist Style” is defined as shooting a revolver cocked and fired one handed and unsupported, with each hand, that is, left gun with the left hand and right gun with the right hand. The revolver, hand or shooting arm may not be touched by the offhand except when resolving a malfunctioning revolver problem.

Nowhere in the rules do I see any mention of shooting using a two handed hold, which EVERYONE at the local clubs use.

What are the SASS–legal shooting styles and where do I find this information?

Are buscadero belts allowed in ANY of the categories?
I will no longer respond to the rants of the small minded that want to sling mud rather than discuss in an adult manner.

Offline Stu Kettle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Dang it, I'm still confused!
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 06:42:27 AM »
You've already found it.  Two-handed shooting is allowed in any category that doesn't specify otherwise. Buscadero rigs are required for "B Western" and allowed for any category that doesn't specify otherwise.

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 08:40:35 AM »
or replica Nagant Single Action Revolver.
HOLSTERS, CARTRIDGE BELTS, AND BANDOLEERS
• All handguns must be carried in a safe holster capable of retaining the firearm throughout a
normal range of motion.
• Main match holsters must be located one on each side of the belly button and separated by
at least the width of two fists at the belt. (Note: Pocket pistol and Derringer holsters are not
“main-match” holsters.)
• Holsters may not depart from the vertical by more than 30 degrees when worn.
• Ammunition required for reloads during the course of any stage must be carried on the
shooter’s person in a bandoleer, cartridge/shotshell belt loop, pouch, holster, or pocket or be
safely staged as required by stage instructions. Rifle and revolver ammunition may not be
carried in a shotshell loop. No ammunition may be carried in the mouth, ears, nose,
cleavage, or any other bodily orifice.
• Bandoleers, cartridge belts, and pouches must be of traditional design (e.g., bandoleers must
be loose and not secured in any way to prevent movement). Modern drop pouches, combat
style shotgun loops, wrist or forearm bandoleers, and such are not allowed. Pouches shall
have a flap and must carry their contents loose, with no special provisions to organize the
contents for rapid retrieval. Leather belt slide ammo loops are acceptable; however, shotgun
shell slides may not be worn over shotgun loops on an ammo belt. Shotgun loops must be in
a single row.
• Cartridge loops must not have a metal or plastic liner. However, the entire loop may be
made of metal.
• Shotgun ammo loops may not accommodate more than two rounds per loop, and
rifle/revolver ammo loops shall accommodate only one round per loop.
• Ammo belts must be worn so all ammo is positioned at or below the belly button.
• Shotgun ammo loops must conform to the shooters contour (i.e., not tilt out from the belt).
• Cartridge loops mounted on a firearm’s stock or forearm are not allowed.

CATEGORIES
SASS recognizes shooting categories based upon age, gender, costuming, equipment,
shooting style and/or propellant. The age for a competitor is determined by their age on the
first day the match starts. All SASS categories may be subdivided by gender, e.g. Lady
Duelist, Lady Gunfighter, Lady 49’er, Lady Wrangler, etc. Competitors may compete within
any category for which they qualify. There are no men’s categories.
AGE BASED
• Any Main Match revolver.
• Revolvers may be shot any style except Gunfighter

You really need to read the entire book then go back and read the categories again.  In addition you should know the RO Manuals because they further define the rules.

http://www.sassnet.com/Downloads/RO-I-verM.3-2012.pdf
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:51:14 PM »

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • know matter where you go, there you are
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 01:02:14 PM »
AGE BASED

Ta Daaa!! There it is "any" style except GF. Any style includes two handed.
And Buscadreo rigs are not allowed in CC. In short, you can shoot two-handed, with or without a buscadero rig in any of the Age Based categories. All of the other categories have some kind of restriction..ie....shooting style, firearm, gear, costume, caliber.....etc...etc. Good Luck :)

Classic Cowboy/Cowgirl
• No Buscadero or drop holster rigs allowed (i.e., part of the grip must be above the belt on
which the holster hangs).

Jefro :D Relax-Enjoy
sass # 69420....JEDI GF #104.....NC Soot Lord....CFDA#1362
44-40 takes a back seat to no other caliber

Offline Bugscuffle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 03:02:29 PM »

This is the third time that I've tried to respond to this thread. For some reaason they just don't appear after I post them. Oh well, try try try....

Yes, I understand it now, but the rules should have some clarification. They are confusing. to wit:

You said:
AGE BASED

Ta Daaa!! There it is "any" style except GF. Any style includes two handed.
And Buscadreo rigs are not allowed in CC. In short, you can shoot two-handed, with or without a buscadero rig in any of the Age Based categories. All of the other categories have some kind of restriction..ie....shooting style, firearm, gear, costume, caliber.....etc...etc. Good Luck :)

I reply:
No, not Ta Daaa!!! It states what you cannot do, i.e. shoot gunfighter style. It does not say what you CAN DO. Nowhere in the rules is two handed shooting even mentioned, much less described.

You said:
Classic Cowboy/Cowgirl
• No Buscadero or drop holster rigs allowed (i.e., part of the grip must be above the belt on
which the holster hangs).

I reply:
It says what you CANNOT do in Classic Cowboy, but what if you wanted to look up what you CAN do in age based categories? It says any approved style, but does not say anywhere, what the approved styles are.

I will no longer respond to the rants of the small minded that want to sling mud rather than discuss in an adult manner.

Offline August

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 04:25:02 PM »
It took me several years to make sense of the rules (to the degree I have).

I had to hook up with some old timers (single and double digit badge numbers) to understand what the "thinking" was at the time some of these decisions were made.  Visiting with Pale Wolf at Winter Range is also a good way to get the underlying thinking about why the rules are the way they are.  He is a real gentleman and generous in spirit.

Hang in there, Bugs.  It will make more sense as time goes along and you get to rub up against some black badges and old timers.

Offline Allie Mo

• Very Active Citizen
    • California Gunslingers
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 10:46:56 AM »
Hello Bugscuffle,

If you want to be heard by someone in a position to do something about the rules, send a message to PaleWolf over on the SASS Wire.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • know matter where you go, there you are
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 02:30:51 PM »
Howdy Bugscuffle, well yer right, no where does it go into detail what a two-handed hold is, but two-handed is the norm for the age based categories and FC. I guess they figure it's a given. It is clarified in Frontier Cartridge. So if you read through the rules every approved shooting style is mentioned. Then it tells us that any style except GF is approved for the Aged Based. It also tells us any main match rifle, shotgun, or ammo instead of listing them all.  The other categories give specifices of what is approved or prohibited. It can get a little confusing but it's all there. Your local MD and RO should be able to help, when in doubt just ask, Good Luck :)
FRONTIER CARTRIDGE
• Any Main Match fixed sight model revolver.
• Revolvers may be shot two handed or one handed (duelist style).
Here it says two handed or one handed (duelist style) with no mention of Double Duelist style. However anywhere Duelist style is allowed,  Double Duelist is also permited since it's just another form of Duelist.

AGE BASED
• Revolvers may be shot any style except Gunfighter.
Two-Handed..........Duelist..........Double Duelist
• May use any SASS–legal main match shotgun and any main match rifle.
• May use any SASS–legal ammunition.

sass # 69420....JEDI GF #104.....NC Soot Lord....CFDA#1362
44-40 takes a back seat to no other caliber

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com