Author Topic: Winchester May Reintroduce The 1873  (Read 149109 times)

Offline chuckerbird

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Winchester May Reintroduce The 1873
« Reply #80 on: May 18, 2013, 08:40:23 AM »
Grizzly Adams,
Just wondering if you have had a chance to shoot your new 1873 yet?

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #81 on: May 18, 2013, 11:00:37 AM »
Bonesteel Badger:  I can't say for certain that the mag tube is caliber specific - no other new made Winchesters in other calibers to compare with.  However, it measures smaller than my 357 caliber Uberti 73.  Not sure that means anything. :-\

Chuckerbird:  Yes, I have put about 100 rounds through this rifle.  Functions flawlessly with both 38 and 357 length ammo.  As for accuracy shooting, I have not tried it on paper yet.  I can tell you that the "minute of rock" is darn good! ;D
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

Offline Bonesteel Badger

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: May 18, 2013, 03:38:53 PM »
 Thank you so much GA,
Smaller is deffinately better IMO. Think I will have to pick up a couple of these down the road. They seem to be quality built and well designed as the originals. Miroku makes some great guns. Wonder if the dimensions have been metric-ized? BB

Advertising

« Reply #83 on: Today at 05:30:26 AM »

Offline chuckerbird

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: May 19, 2013, 10:24:49 AM »
Grizzly Adams,
Thanks for the update. I am trying to locate one now. Don't look too good. Might have to wait till September when I've been told production
goes into full swing.

Offline Hill Beachy

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: May 19, 2013, 01:20:00 PM »
Grizzly:

Would you be so kind as to comment on the dimensions of the wood on these?  On all of the Browning/Miroku clones that I've handled in the past, it seemed that the wood was over-thick as compared to the original Winchesters.  The originals that I've handled were slim and graceful, whereas the Mirokus that I've handled were a bit clunky.  In my opinion, they could stand to lose 1/4" tihckness on the buttstock and probably 1/16-1/8" on either side of the fore-end in order to "feel right."

Are these new Winchesters the same way, or closer in dimensions to the originals?

Thanks!
"But you know you can still smell the roses,
When you're running with them in your hand..."  -- Slim Dusty

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: May 19, 2013, 02:44:41 PM »
Grizzly:

Would you be so kind as to comment on the dimensions of the wood on these?  On all of the Browning/Miroku clones that I've handled in the past, it seemed that the wood was over-thick as compared to the original Winchesters.  The originals that I've handled were slim and graceful, whereas the Mirokus that I've handled were a bit clunky.  In my opinion, they could stand to lose 1/4" tihckness on the buttstock and probably 1/16-1/8" on either side of the fore-end in order to "feel right."

Are these new Winchesters the same way, or closer in dimensions to the originals?

Thanks!

Hi, Hill Beachy.

I would say that dimensionally, the wood on this rifle is pretty much along the the same lines as the Uberti 73, perhaps a bit slimmer.  However, given  the finish on this wood, slimming down any areas to taste would be easy. :) 

I shot this rifle in a match this weekend, and it sure felt right to me! ;D
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
GAF

Offline Hill Beachy

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: May 23, 2013, 08:10:07 PM »
Thanks, Grizzly.
"But you know you can still smell the roses,
When you're running with them in your hand..."  -- Slim Dusty

Offline chuckerbird

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: May 30, 2013, 10:46:02 AM »
Grizzly Adams,

Got mine yesterday. Found one in South Dakota. Cleaned it up a bit. Chambered a few rounds through it. Had some 38 special at
1.420" long. She sure don't like them at all. Seems like anything at 1.455 and up to 1.590 will cycle perfectly. Waiting for the weather
to warm up and quit raining so I can get her to the range. So far I really like it. Fit and finish is perfect.

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: May 30, 2013, 10:49:40 AM »
I wonder how NCOWS will decide on this rifle since the stroke is along the lines of a codymatic short stroke style?

I sure don't see it passing that hurdle.
Ride Safe and Shoot Straight.
Rick.

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: May 30, 2013, 05:46:17 PM »
I wonder how NCOWS will decide on this rifle since the stroke is along the lines of a codymatic short stroke style?

I sure don't see it passing that hurdle.

I sure hope those boys do the right thing, and approve this rifle.  Just the view from my saddle.
GAF

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
« Reply #90 on: May 30, 2013, 06:14:37 PM »
I kinda doubt it due to the lever stroke not going a full 90 degrees or better like the original. But I could be wrong.

Short strokes are not allowed since they are not period correct.

Will need to see how they rule on this one.
Rick.

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #91 on: June 14, 2013, 10:30:13 PM »
I kinda doubt it due to the lever stroke not going a full 90 degrees or better like the original. But I could be wrong.

Short strokes are not allowed since they are not period correct.

Will need to see how they rule on this one.

I can see the market niche for stroke lengthening kits and services now . . . Oh, most importantly, I ordered my very first 1873 today.  An Uberti in .45 Long Colt.  Sporting Rifle configuration.
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline Old Top

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #92 on: June 14, 2013, 11:36:18 PM »
RickB

I have an original 73, and the lever throw is shorter then the Uberti's and not as short as a short strocked rifle.  I hope this helps, as I understand the new winchester has about the same throw as my original.

Old Top
I only shoot to support my reloading habit.

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #93 on: June 15, 2013, 12:52:56 AM »
RickB

I have an original 73, and the lever throw is shorter then the Uberti's and not as short as a short strocked rifle.  I hope this helps, as I understand the new winchester has about the same throw as my original.

Old Top

The lever stroke on the new Winchester 1873 is shorter the the original Winchester 1873.  I have three originals and they are all the same, and all have a longer throw than the new one has.  The new Winchester is about the same as a 2nd generation short stroke kit.  FWIW, a stock out of the box Uberti 73 has the same lever stroke an original does. 
GAF

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
« Reply #94 on: June 18, 2013, 06:16:25 PM »
The lever stroke on the new Winchester 1873 is shorter the the original Winchester 1873.  I have three originals and they are all the same, and all have a longer throw than the new one has.  The new Winchester is about the same as a 2nd generation short stroke kit.  FWIW, a stock out of the box Uberti 73 has the same lever stroke an original does. 

And according to Evil Roy, the Uberti lever is spot on with the original 73s.

Video of Larry Potterfield with an original.

Another original being shot. That lever throw is past 90 degrees.

This one needs some TLC.

Here is the new 73 by Winchester that you are all talking about on this thread.

Another really nice 73 from Larry Potterfield.

Another original.

Here is an Uberti exactly like the one I just picked up for $940.

A great epesode of Tales of the Gun giving the history of the Winchester.

One more original to drool over. Check out the engraved stock on this one.
Rick.

Offline bonusmarple

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #95 on: August 16, 2013, 06:52:57 PM »
I picked up one of the new Winchester '73s last week.  I got a chance to take it out shooting today.  This is the first of this pattern that I have owned so all I can compare it to are Marlin 336s, 22s, and 45-70s. 

My first time out did not start well.  I had cycled Federal AE 38s at home, but I had only loaded the magazine to 4 rounds.  No issues.  I got to the range and loaded the full 11 in the magazine.  Jam.  Had to head come and pull the magazine cap and empty the magazine to get clear the jam.  After this I loaded a max of 6 rounds and the gun cycled just fine for the rest of the day.  I am guessing the federals are right on the edge of okay case length and when combined with the decent magazine spring, presto, you get a jam. 

Anyway, the gun shot very well.  No problem shooting offhand at 25 yards and keeping it in the 10.  50 yards, the gun did well, and was way more challenging to keep in the 10. 

Unfortunately, I used gunslick on the bore this evening.  Some backed into and on the carrier.  I got it off but it tarnished the brass a bit.  No harm done, but it will be just Hoppe's from here on out.

Anyway, the gun is definitely smoother than my Marlins with a much lighter action.  The Marlins are all JM stamped from the early 2000's.  It handles well and the 38s are a breeze to shoot.  I don't care for buckhorn so I have a tang site from Marble's on its way.

All in all I am happy with the gun.  Definitely worth keeping, it will just take a bit to find the ammo that I like best.  I have to young boys so for the time being reloading is out.  I just don't have the time to work up loads.  Any time I have, I want to spend shooting.

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #96 on: August 24, 2013, 02:41:04 AM »
Well, Win. is now showing a photo of a casehardened model now. I hope it's better than the photo looks as the case coloring appears weak. Very weak.  :-\

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/detail.asp?family=027C&mid=534202

Any new word on the 44-40?

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #97 on: August 24, 2013, 09:07:58 PM »
You are right.  You would think Winchester would put one with really nice colors in their advertising.  This one looks like an original blued frame model with about half the bluing worn off.

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #98 on: August 25, 2013, 07:27:02 AM »
The case hardened one I saw at the NRA convention was beautiful.  That photo doesn't even come close to representing it.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 367
« Reply #99 on: August 25, 2013, 02:26:16 PM »
I was curious to see what they came up with when I heard Winchester was going to offer the 73 again. I was pretty disappointed to here the flubbed up the design of their own rifle changing the lever throw.

I look forward to looking at one of the new ones first hand to compare but from what I am seeing in photos the lever throw is not the same as original 73 Winchesters.

I have compared the Uberti 73's to original Winchester 73's and the lever throw is correct on the Uberti.

Yes there are some slight variations, the originals Winchesters have almost a 1/2 inch more drop at the heel than does the Uberti's. The lever is a little more robust at the trigger guard area on the originals along with very slight variations elsewhere.

So no they are not 100% exact but the lever throw is correct. All in all the Uberti 73 is extremely close to the originals.

http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com