Author Topic: Who Shoots Stampedes?  (Read 4017 times)

Offline FloraBama Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Florida Bordertown
    • Panhandle Cowboys
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Who Shoots Stampedes?
« on: May 29, 2004, 11:20:39 PM »
There has been a couple of Topics on the SASS wire about problems with Stampedes. This gun is pretty high on my wish list and I was wondering who here shoots one??

Other than an actions job to smooth thing out, have you had any problems?
~~~SASS# 54776~~~ BOLD# 568~~~

Offline J.D.Cayhill

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Who Shoots Stampedes?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2004, 11:41:01 AM »
FBK, you might want to look at EMF Great Western II's. My Pard Bill Derringer just purchased a set in the deluxe finish and they are fantastic. At a fuzz less than $500 a piece, they might easily be the best bang for the buck in a SA clone going. We shot them yesterday for the first time and both were very smooth and incredibly accurate out of the box. See my other post for details.
"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man."
SBSS #638
BOSS #44
STORM #142
RATS #89

Offline Paper Chaser

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2004, 12:19:43 PM »
I have a pair of them: 45 Colt; 4 3/4" barrel, standard model with the black polymer grip. NO problems whatever.  I have replaced the stock grips with faux Ivory from Don at ( www.westernandwildlifewonders.com )
SASS #54926
Mississippi Peacemakers,NatchezSixgunners
BOLD #H13
GAF #310; SBSS #1415; SCORRS

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:30:55 AM »

Offline FloraBama Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Florida Bordertown
    • Panhandle Cowboys
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2004, 01:07:16 PM »
Paper Chaser very nice. These are "exactly" what I'm wanting!! :)
~~~SASS# 54776~~~ BOLD# 568~~~

Offline Dogwoman

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2004, 01:27:23 PM »
I have a pair of .38's with the black grips.  Had to have the hammer springs lightened up.  The timing on the one is PERFECT (and better than all FOUR of our Rugers).  The other one is acceptable.

There is a bushing under the hammper that can loosen.  If it does, you can fashion a tool to tighten it from an ordinary fork.  Cut off the two outside prongs, see if the two inside prongs fit in the bushing and adjust the fork prongs by filing if necessary.

Our guns were $359 each.  The one does lock the cylinder if you pull the hammer back too far when loading or unloading.  I don't use this one for a reload on the stage.  Otherwise, I'm thrilled about them.
SASS 22073
NRA Life
Past Quartermaster, Wahsatch Desperadoes
Deseret Historical Shooting Society
Wasatch Summit Regulators
Guide Dog Puppy Raiser

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2004, 01:36:04 PM »
I have a deluxe and a standard.  Both have been worked on and the hammer springs have been replaced.  I have had issues with the cylander not rotating properly and in the standard model, I have had to have the transfer bar worked on because the firing pin was not getting enough force to egnite the primer.  They shoot great though.  I highly recommend a 200 grain bullet if you are going with a .45LC.  GREAT point of aim and they feel wonderful in the hand.  Short of the transfer bar and the known timing issues, they are the best CAS pistols I have.  They will be great back ups when I get my 1851 Navy Conversions back from Munden. 

I say go ahead and get them.  They will need some extra work, but they feel great and shoot great. 
Major Matt Lewis
Grand Army of the Frontier * SASS Life * NCOWS * Powder Creek Cowboys * Free State Ranges * RO II * NRA Life * Man on the Edge

Offline Paper Chaser

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2004, 11:42:07 PM »
Hmmmm, Major you got me thinking about the loads that I use and perhaps I should consider 'downsizing'.  Due to some arthritis and tendonitis in my hands I often cannot shoot the 45 Colt for an extended time period.   Current load is:
1.  6.0 gr W231
2.  255 gr RNFP
3.  Winchester LP primer
Do you have load data for your 200 gr ? Thanks.

Otherwise I REALLY like 'em and have changed nothing but the grips.
SASS #54926
BOLD #H13

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2004, 09:04:28 AM »
I would definately change out the hammer springs.  I am a wieght lifter and my thumbs would be fatigued half way thru a match.  That was when I was shooting traditional and now I am shooting Duelist and they are fine.

Load data: 4.9 Grains of Hodgdon Clays with a Winchester Primer.  200Grain RNFP bullet.  Also works great in the rifle.
Major Matt Lewis
Grand Army of the Frontier * SASS Life * NCOWS * Powder Creek Cowboys * Free State Ranges * RO II * NRA Life * Man on the Edge

Offline Paper Chaser

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2004, 07:56:57 PM »
Just an update on my new Stampede (B064xx): 100 rounds with ZERO problems, no lockups, no misfires. Shoots Great !! only problem was operator error.  "Old" Stampede (B004xx) still shoots great too!
SASS #54926
BOLD #H13

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com