Author Topic: .....Maybe I'm posting in the wrong spot, but I'm going BANANAS on my H&R 1873!  (Read 2674 times)

Offline cigarboxrob

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
.....Hello to all!

Sorry to begin my first post with a frustrating situation, but?  I'm one who will happily take the expertise of others over my own "tinkering!"

I have two "Problem Rifles;"  My concern involves my recent adoption of an H&R 1873 rifle-Gorgeous piece, the breech block is a bit sloppy in the raised position on the hinge pin with some wobble, but?  For some dag-gummed reason? The firing pin sticks WAAAY too far out of the breech-To the point where it will actually indent the primer of a cartridge, and the breech will fail to close. 

Removing the small screw underneath the striking face of the pin (Which I believed would then release the pin.) met with no avail-That pin is IN!!!! Tapping it with a hammer won't get it out. 

In my mind, since I purchased the gun secondhand?  I wondered if perhaps the previous owner broke the firing pin, and through good ol' dandy-ingenuity and a hard night's drinking, managed to fit one that's simply too long!   Or, perhaps H&R replacement pins were too long, and required machining, which was never performed on this one!   

Has anyone had this problem with a stock H&R firing pin, or know of a solution?   As of now?  The only thing I can think of is to attempt to file the pin while still in the breech-Which, we all know *won't* work in the slightest!   (Except potentially ruin a perfectly good breech face!)   Are there any other tricks to getting a pin out?  It is just the single screw, right?

I appreciate any help I can get on this one!

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
Try going on the H&R website and see if ya can find a parts schematic or a manual for that gun. Might help ya out. If I knew the answer I'd tell ya.  :) WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Numrich carries firing pins ($20 bucks)

Advertising

Offline sail32

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Try asking here as there was discussion on the H&R trapdoor. http://www.trapdoorcollector.com/cgi-bin/afrasca/bulletin/config.pl

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com