Author Topic: QUESTIONS ABOUT H&R BUFFALO CLASSIC .45-70  (Read 8515 times)

Offline PABLO DEL NORTE

• Very Active Citizen
  • SHOULDA BEEN A COWBOY
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
QUESTIONS ABOUT H&R BUFFALO CLASSIC .45-70
« on: December 09, 2012, 08:51:35 AM »
 ???  DOES IT QUALIFY FOR COWBOY SHOOTING MATCHES?
HAS ANYONE SHOT OR OWN ONE? 
I HAVE THE CHANCE TO TRADE FOR ONE.   :-\

Offline onegunred

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
Re: QUESTIONS ABOUT H&R BUFFALO CLASSIC .45-70
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 09:04:35 AM »
I hate to see a man suffer waiting for a response.  I do not own one but this past February I asked my gunsmith friend a similar question of sorts about the H&R Buffalo, because I wanted one, and his response was not overly favorable.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 10:26:37 AM »
Hi,

I think it is a question of speed and timing ... when one can get a single-shot to  fire as fast as a lever-gun, there will be more interest ...I know we say that we are not competing, just living history ... but it is nice to have our name on the first three lines at least ONCE  IN A WHILE ... *S*

Written by a man that normally comes in dead last ... safe but dead last ... (just once Lord, I would like to see my name in the middle of the pack ...) *S*

TTFN,
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:36:40 PM »

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 10:49:50 AM »
The H&R is not NCOWS approved.  If you are shooting SASS they are probably OK although I do not know for sure.  My son had one and they kick like a Missouri Mule.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Bugscuffle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 04:50:59 PM »
Doesn't the rifle need to be a "pistol caliber"? There may be someone out there dumb enough to pull the trigger on a 45-70 caliber pistol, but not me.
I will no longer respond to the rants of the small minded that want to sling mud rather than discuss in an adult manner.

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 170
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 05:04:03 PM »
Shooting a 45/70 handgun has as much to do with technique as anything. Doesn't mean that yer dumb. WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Peddler Parsons

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 06:20:13 PM »
They can be used in long raonge side matches but you will have to replace the sight on the barrel with a tang peep sight
I have had one for several years if I do my part it will out shoot others, I also use it for deer hunting and bore hunting,
I also have a sharps, and will grabe the H&R most of the time.  It has won it's share of long range matches
Peddler

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 08:08:42 PM »
You can actually replace the existing peep with a blade for very few dollars.  Midway has several different height blades.
I have also read about folks that simply unscrew the peep insert and grind off the top of the theaded mount essentially creating a u rear sight.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline PABLO DEL NORTE

• Very Active Citizen
  • SHOULDA BEEN A COWBOY
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 08:03:06 PM »
 :)  THANKS FOR THE INFO FOLKS!!  I WILL LOOK INTO THE MIDWAY USA SIGHTS.  :)

Offline littled

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 07:23:17 AM »
i just got around to reading your post, i bought one new used it two years with the 45-70 barrel killed lots of deer and hogs never had to track any but missed a few. two years ago i sent it back to h&r and had it fitted with a 270,3006 and a 444 cal. barrel. its my everyday gun now and i dont even think of taking one of my other long guns to the woods for deer or hogs. i got one place i hunt where i have some long shots like 300 yards if i go there i use the 270 barrel any where else i use the 444. i never had used a 45-70 or the 444 till i got this gun and now i dont even think i will put the long 32 inch 45-70 barrel back on it. the 444 will shoot so much more flatterthan the 45-70 that its just not worth buying both 45-70 and 444 ammo. the 444 cal bullet does a very good job on everything around my house, and so far nothing has crawled off. the buffalo classic handles very good with the shorter barrels but i just never liked the 32 inch barrel. i have never had any working problems with mine and its slim design is one that my wife can hunt with. you dont feel the kick with the long 45-70 barrel or the short 270 but the short 444 does have a mild kick.

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 06:14:39 AM »
I've had one for years. Smith makes a ladder sight that mounts right up with the factory drilled sight holes.. On mine I used a BP tang sight. kinda awkward, but it does work. I put some weight in the stock bolt hole to try and absorb some of the kick. They are kinda light weight for shooting 45-70 for long periods ::)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Guns Garrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 09:45:01 PM »
Kind of off-the-wall, but it "is" period, sort of:  I recently converted my H&R BC to a "Schuetzen-Style" with hooked buttplate and Pope-style palm rest and trigger guard (yes, you have to saw off the plastic triggerguard).  Purchased a rollover-style Monte Carlo buttstock and reshaped it with rasps to the Schuetzen style (not enough "perch-belly", but I never liked that much).  Took the peep sight and base completely off and replaced with an old Digie GunWorks "Swiss Diopter" sight I picked up years ago, with a 1 1/2" disk with a .045"' aperture. With moderate loads, it is a pleasure to shoot, out to 400 yds "on your hind legs, like a man" as old Harry Pope would say.  Impresses the fellows shootin' off sticks!

I'd LOVE to find a (discontinued) 38-55 "Target" barrel for the H&R 1871.  I have even considered re-lining another 45-70 BC 32" to 32-40, but doubt if H&R would fit an "altered" barrel...
"Stand, gentlemen; he served on Samar"

GAF #301

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com