Author Topic: Just getting started (Rifles)  (Read 5884 times)

Offline Gus Grizzle

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Just getting started (Rifles)
« on: December 06, 2012, 06:15:46 AM »
Alright, so I don't make another mistake :-[
I purchased a Henry Big Boy (love this rifle by the way) to go with my twin Ruger New Vaqueros,
Now I read it is not allowed in one of the cowboy shooting stages.
I reckon I need an 1873 and this model will cover all the bases?
I see a Taylor uberti 1873 online fer a chunk O gold
Can ya also give me info as I am a little unsure on what sights are allowed on these animals are the stock sights that come on these replicas ok?
I am seeing some with a ring and some with a bead etc.
A picture of the approved style of sight would be good.  Stll working on the shotgun too.
Thanks for helpin a green horn, should have read and asked more in the beginning.

Gus
Sass # 96744
NRA Life
Storm # 410

"Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is"

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
Re: Just getting started (Rifles)
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 07:38:48 AM »
Where is a Henry Big Boy not allowed? As long as it is chambered in a pistol cartridge you should be good to go in everything but maybe NCOWS.

The 1873 is THE cowboy action rifle.  If I was to start over again I'd do everything in 44-40. Most folks start out with 45LC but if you decide to shoot black powder (and you should try it) the 38-40 and 44-40 are wonderful.

38/357 are used by many. But it isn't traditional and tends to be viewed as testosterone challenged by many.... :o

Do yourself a huge favor and when you move to a Uberti 1873, buy it totally tricked out from one of the CAS gunsmiths. It will cost you far more in parts and shipping to buy a rifle and then have it modified for CAS. Yup, it will cost upwards of $1500....but you only live once!
Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 08:15:44 AM »
The Henry Big Boy is allowed for most SASS classes, only exception I can think of is Classic Cowboy, wich requires an 1873 or earlier design. Main problem is, they often don't work that well when you try to work them fast. If you have an NCOWS club nearby, then they won't work for that, since they aren't a copy of anything from the pre-1900 time period. I'd say, since you have it, and like it, head on out to yuour local SASS club and proceed to have some fun with it, before deciding to rush out and buy another rifle. While you're there, you can look at, and maybe try out, other guns and see what you really like best!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:29:27 AM »

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 09:29:09 AM »
The biggest mistake new shooters make is to buy their guns before they have shot 3 or 4 matches. Shooters will be happy to let you try their stuff. BTW, if you short stroke a '73, or any other gun, you can not use'm in NCOWS.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • know matter where you go, there you are
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 12:08:18 PM »
The biggest mistake new shooters make is to buy their guns before they have shot 3 or 4 matches. Shooters will be happy to let you try their stuff. BTW, if you short stroke a '73, or any other gun, you can not use'm in NCOWS.

Ditto...Ditto...Ditto!! Stop!! spending money untill you have gone to several matches and tried out all the different guns avalible. Then decide what works for you, and what categories you may want to shoot. Any SASS approved rifle can be shot in any of the age based categories,,,,including duelist, BP, GFer...etc. The short stroked 73/66 is the most popular, followed by the Marlin, then the 92. We have shooters that borrow guns for 6 months or more before buying what they want, try before you buy ;D

The 1873 is THE cowboy action rifle.  If I was to start over again I'd do everything in 44-40. Most folks start out with 45LC but if you decide to shoot black powder (and you should try it) the 38-40 and 44-40 are wonderful.

38/357 are used by many. But it isn't traditional and tends to be viewed as testosterone challenged by many.... :o

Do yourself a huge favor and when you move to a Uberti 1873, buy it totally tricked out from one of the CAS gunsmiths. It will cost you far more in parts and shipping to buy a rifle and then have it modified for CAS. Yup, it will cost upwards of $1500....but you only live once!
Words of wisdom here. If you like the big caliber the 44/40 is the way to go, if not the 38/357 is the most popular and cost effective, I shoot both and don't worry about testoster....never mind I can't spell it :o. Good Luck :)

Jefro :D Relax-Enjoy
sass # 69420....JEDI GF #104.....NC Soot Lord....CFDA#1362
44-40 takes a back seat to no other caliber

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 367
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 09:49:23 AM »

Good advice.

Also the Big Boy is not allowed in NCOWS either since it's a modern design.

http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Gus Grizzle

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 11:18:26 AM »
Thanks Gents,

Good advice all around! now if I can only stay out of them dern gun shops.........
Sass # 96744
NRA Life
Storm # 410

"Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is"

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 11:58:50 AM »
There's a real good chance that you'll run into a shooter up grading or who just wants to get something different. CAS Shooters sell and trade guns a lot. You might get a gun that has the bugs worked out cheaper than you would a new gun.
Most of the time it's better to date a girl who already knows how to dance.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Buzzard II

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 08:58:12 PM »
I'll add my .02 also.  I agree with some of the others, stop buying guns,go to a shoot, ask lots of questions, and have FUN.  What caliber (s) are you shooting now?  Do you reload or are you buying ammo?  Join SASS or NCOWS and get rule book (s).  Other shooters will usually let you try out their guns.  I've loaned my guns out to a new shooter many times.  I shoot .45lc (heathen powder) and .44-40 with the holy black.  Don't modify your guns until you find out what you really like to shoot.  You don't have to go for your lungs, especially in todays economy.  I started out in CAS shooting over 15 years ago with minimum equipment and still had fun.  Good shooting! Bob :)

I recently purchased a Winchester Commemorative in .44-40 for $700., new in the box, no booklets.  I waited until it found me. I'll be shooting the Holy Black as soon as I cast up some bullets.  Take your time!
SMOKLESS POWDER IS JUST A PASSING FAD!
NRA ENDOWMENT MEMBER
SASS LIFE MEMBER-AKA "BUCK HUNTER"
N-SSA  CO. QM SGT- 1st NJ LIGHT ARTILLERY-BATTERY B
GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA LIFE MEMBER
NRA CERTIFIED PISTOL INSTRUCTOR
NRA CERTIFIED RANGE SAFETY OFFICER
FORMER N.J. HUNTER ED. INSTRUCTOR/TEAM LEADER

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1261
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 09:38:52 PM »
Gus, many shooters like a brass bead for a front sight, but I think the Big Boy already has that.  The semi-buckhorn rear sight should be fine as well.  Some fast guys like a flat-top rear sight.  I wouldn't change the sights for now.  As said, the Big Boy should be good for all SASS categories except Classic Cowboy (and maybe B-Western, not sure about that).  Go ahead and shoot it for now, might be just fine.  After a while if you speed up and that rifle can't keep up, you will by then probably have a better idea of what you want next.   :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com