Author Topic: SAAMI film on ammo safety  (Read 1824 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
SAAMI film on ammo safety
« on: November 26, 2012, 06:23:41 PM »
I was sent a link for a SAAMI-produced film on the safety of sporting ammo in a fire from the firefighter's viewpoint. This ought to be an aid for anyone concerned about ammo storage from an insurance angle - business or home owner. I wish I knew how to post the link. Maybe one of you can google it and do so.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SlOXowwC4c[/youtube]

They burned up over 400,000 rds of ammo :>( - everything from .45 Colt to .416 Remington; shotshells as well. They burned it in boxes, cases, loose rounds, pallet loads, truck loads, warehouse shelves, etc.

They rammed it with fork lifts and crushed it with a caterpillar tractor, grinding the treads on both cases and loose rds.
They had blast boards set up to gauge distance and impact (like 'Mythbusters'), even standing close to burning ammo in their turnout gear.

Conclusion: not only does sporting NOT constitute a hazard to firefighters, it is less of a hazard than common household commodities like aerosol cans, paint, propane cylinders, chemical compounds, etc.

Now we need one on canisters of smokeless powder. I know that 'Hatcher's Notebook' shows that it isn't that much different than what happened in this test, but that was all smokeless. When it was a magazine holding Naval rifle gun powder charges, it was spectacular!

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Virginia Gentleman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Here's a McRib for Allah
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
Re: SAAMI film on ammo safety
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 03:19:41 PM »
 Gasoline in the garage is much more dangerous than smokeless powder in a fire.

Offline bowiemaker

• Maker of sharp pointy things
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Carter Custom Knives
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: SAAMI film on ammo safety
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 03:53:36 PM »
Very interesting video. Thank you.
NCOWS #3405   RATS #612

Advertising