Author Topic: Just starting out  (Read 2829 times)

Offline Billy Bristol

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #97003
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Just starting out
« on: November 04, 2012, 08:41:13 AM »
Since I am new here, I thought I would show my guns. I haven't shot in a match yet but hope to as soon as I can find a rifle and shotgun I can afford (disability doesn't leave much money left). Here is a photo of my ASM Remy and my ASM sheriff's model. I love the feel of my sheriff's mosel and it shoots real well. Have had these for almost 10 yrs and they are still fun to shoot.
Always knew I was born 100 yrs too late.

New Britain, CT

Offline Thomas O'Hawk

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Just starting out
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 08:51:47 AM »
As you read through the forums you will see the biggest advise will probably be "not to wait to attend a match". 

The other shooters in my experience would be happy to let you use some of their favorite firearms to fill in the gaps and it gives you a chance to try out several different things to decide what best suits you.   Sometimes going cheapest isn't the best route though I do understand your comment about money being tight (where isn't it?).

Most shooters will also be more than happy to give you opinions on what they like and why.  Don't let this stand in your way to getting to a match.  Go out and start having fun now!!

I am also a Remmy guy.  I would have gone with the '58 had I not fell in love with the '75 Outlaws (even with that darned hand spring problem).
  Artillery brings dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl!

Offline Billy Bristol

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #97003
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 08:56:04 AM »
Thanks Tom. I am going to watch my first match next sunday. I have been putting feelers out for rifles and shotguns that may also need work. Figure I may be able to pick something up cheaper that way. I was a toolmaker for 40 yrs and have my own little shop in the basement. Have a good knowledge of firearms also. Been working on friends firearms for many years.

New Britain, CT

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:54:44 PM »

Offline Red Cent

• Top Active Citizen
    • Red Cent Custom Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 12:11:32 PM »
In what part of the country do you reside?
Life is too short to argue with stupid people and drink cheap booze
McLeansville, NC by way of WV
SASS29170L

Offline Billy Bristol

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #97003
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 01:05:36 PM »
I live in Central Connecticut. Will be going to The Connecticut Valley Bushwackers shoot on the 11th. Will be my first time.

New Britain, CT

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 02:33:34 PM »
Welcome to action shooting, cowboy style.  With those revolvers you have a good start to competing with 100% blackpowder. 8) 8) 

I 2d, 3d, 4th, etc., etc., the suggestion to attend a few matches before investing any more"hard-earned".
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Billy Bristol

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #97003
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 01:33:05 PM »
Thanks Wildman
I have found some useful info on here already as well as links to other places. I have already done some work on my revolvers to make them smooth as butter. Also found a couple extra cylinders for the Remy that were a bit too long but I faced em of on my lathe and they fit and line up better than the one that came with it. I always take my firearms apart when I first get them just to see what I can do to get them working better. Having been a toolmaker for 40 yrs I have even made parts when needed. Put a few feelers out for rifles and shotguns that may need work and hoping I can find a good deal that way.

New Britain, CT

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com