Author Topic: cimarron  (Read 10481 times)

Offline reggie

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
cimarron
« on: September 27, 2012, 09:03:17 AM »
I just had to post this cause I am at my wits end. I don't want anyone else to experience the frustration I have had with this company.

Cimarron Arms; Just a word of caution for any of you that are considering purchasing any products from Cimarron Arms. I just want to tell you that I purchased a new, matching set of sixguns that came from this company several years ago, and after many efforts and frustration over the past couple of years, I've given up. I had several issues with these guns, from double stamped serial numbers and mis matched base pin to white pearlite grips that turned yellow in just a few short years. They have not made good on any of it. They won't even contact you to tell you they can't do anything about it. Also, one of the reasons I purchased these guns was sort of as a collectors item. I doubt they are worth half of what I paid for them. Get your products from anyone but them!

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
Re: cimarron
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 04:51:59 PM »
I don't understand your whole post.  You are talking about things that took "years" to develop.  I don't think any Italian cowboy guns have lifetime warranties.  Then you say the guns are worth half what you paid for them.  DUH.  Buy a car and drive it around the block and see what it is worth.  Italian made CAS guns are shooter grade consumer products.  They aren't collectors items and like all consumer products they go down in value when you buy them.  Not up or even stay the same.  DOWN.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 367
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 05:20:26 PM »
If you want to invest money in guns and expect them to gain in value you might want to try investing in something other than Italian made copies of 125 year old American designs. It would make a little more sense to invest in the real thing.

There are very few guns that can be bought new and become a collectors item in your own lifetime. Few if any of the Uberti guns will ever become collectors items. I have ordered some custom serial number guns with my name on them for the neatness of having them that way but I don't ever expect them to become a collectors item, maybe a neat keepsake for my son some day but not something that's going to go up in value.

Personally I love my Cimarrons. I never buy any of the Italian guns without expecting to do work to it. Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you have one that requires an entire going over just to be satisfactory.

As Pettifogger said, they are shooter grade guns, they will eventually wear or break after enough use. So will a Colt. Heck I've even heard rumor of a Ruger or two breaking although it's hard to imagine.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:22:20 PM »

Offline Cherokee Reb

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 08:18:57 PM »
Also remember that Cimarron didn't build the guns, they are simply an import service. Granted that some companies may work as intermediaries in resolving problems , but the issue should be with Uberti .

Reb
Member SASS,NCOWS and Knob Creek Regulators

Offline Pancho Peacemaker

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 08:43:08 PM »
My experience is much different.  Cimarron has provided excellent products and equally excellent customer service when I've needed it. 

If you are looking for investment grade firearms, look at Colt. 
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 06:07:16 AM »
If Cimarron has really NOT contacted this customer, then shame on them.  If they have contacted the customer and explained the limits of their warranty and the customer is still not happy then shame on him for posting this.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline MJN77

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 06:09:03 AM »
I've never had a problem with any of the Cimarron firearms that I have bought, but I will say that every time I have called them for whatever reason they have been rude and "less than helpful". I called them once about ordering a certain revolver. I was told that they had "plenty in stock". I called back the next day to actually place the order and was rudely told that they did not have this certain gun in stock and had not had any for several of months. When I mentioned that I was just told something different, the man I was talking to became angry. Since then, I usually buy from Taylor's or Dixie gun works. You get the same guns, without the BS. This was several years ago but from what I read and hear their service hasn't changed. Look around this forum. There are plenty of stories about Cimarron's rude behavior as well as not standing behind their products. Here's one thread.
http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,32143.0.html
The OP didn't give enough info about the nature of his problem. Can't say if he has a legitimate complaint or not.  As far as investments, go with Colt. I wouldn't call Uberti or Pietta investment grade guns.

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • know matter where you go, there you are
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 07:46:34 AM »
Howdy reggie, sorry to hear of you difficulties. I know some years ago their customer service had a bit to be desired, but I thought they had long since corrected that. If you want the correct Model P Uberti then Cimarron is they way to go. However my advice to new shooters is, if they intend to have action work done buy them from a well known gunsmith with a package deal, saves on shipping and any other problems down the road. I've been through six Cimarron pistols so far, two sets of Uberti (Model P & Lightings), and my latest a pair of Cimarron Frontiers by Pietta, all have given me great service. The pair of Cimarron Lightings were the only ones I bought straight from Cimarron. They would barely function when I got them, I never considered sending them back to Cimarron..........they went straight to Cody and came back smooth as butter. Good Luck :)

Jefro :D Relax-Enjoy
sass # 69420....JEDI GF #104.....NC Soot Lord....CFDA#1362
44-40 takes a back seat to no other caliber

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 05:28:40 PM »
I actually bought a 7.5" barreled 45 Colt in the Model P and it is the best of my 3 other guns with the other two being Uberti Cattleman which is the same gun. Mine was smooth accurate with a better finish with my only complaint it having their logo in brass in my grip. It has move to my #1 gun.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Offline Six Gun Saint

• Top Active Citizen
  • You can't have no idea how little I care...
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 06:40:26 PM »
I can't say rightly one way or'tother on the firearms-don't have any, ain't had experience with the hardware etc., etc.-the customer service I got when I called with questions a few weeks ago was quite nice, though-very pleasant.

As to the yellowing of the grips-you said it's a pearlite?  So that's like a mother-of-pearl type whatsits, right?  THAT I do have experience with.  LOTS.  Having made custom guitar pick guards etc., I can say that if it's yellowing after a couple of YEARS (and I assume you handled them fairly regular, yes?), you got more than's to be expected.

Case in point-I replaced the pick guard on my 1998 Fender P-Bass, from stock to a nice white mother-of-pearl.  That was in late 2000, early 2001.  By December of 2002, it was yellowed almost to an antiqued look.

So, what I'm driving at is, that's fairly normal wear and tear on that particular part-white M-O-P IS going to yellow.  Some just goes quicker than others.
The above may or may not be influenced by medications and/or alcohol...  (i.e. don't blame me if it's bad spelling/incoherent)
--------

July 9, 2011-The Birth of Southern Sudan!

Ph'nglui Mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh, Wgah'nagl Fhtagn!

Do not believe in yourself, believe in me, who believes in you!-Courage Wolf

The gods only go with you, if you put yourself in their path. And that takes courage...-The Crystal Cave

Hiding won't help you, you see...  I control the bullets-I make them go where I want.

A gun's power isn't in it's muzzle velocity or caliber...-Revolver Ocelot

WE DON'T RENT PIGS!

Offline Buzzard II

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 09:17:15 PM »
OK, but do the guns shoot good?  I use a gunsmith for cap & ball Uberti's and he's great!  I shoot N-SSA as well as CAS. 
Rob Lewis
Tri L Machine
Dayton, Ohio
937-252-1978
Prices are reasonable and work is good. 
As others have stated, Uberti's are not collector guns, and never will be, and usually need work to shoot good.  Good luck! Bob
SMOKLESS POWDER IS JUST A PASSING FAD!
NRA ENDOWMENT MEMBER
SASS LIFE MEMBER-AKA "BUCK HUNTER"
N-SSA  CO. QM SGT- 1st NJ LIGHT ARTILLERY-BATTERY B
GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA LIFE MEMBER
NRA CERTIFIED PISTOL INSTRUCTOR
NRA CERTIFIED RANGE SAFETY OFFICER
FORMER N.J. HUNTER ED. INSTRUCTOR/TEAM LEADER

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1261
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 09:26:19 PM »
OK, but do the guns shoot good?  I use a gunsmith for cap & ball Uberti's and he's great!  I shoot N-SSA as well as CAS. 
Rob Lewis
Tri L Machine
Dayton, Ohio
937-252-1978
Prices are reasonable and work is good. 
As others have stated, Uberti's are not collector guns, and never will be, and usually need work to shoot good.  Good luck! Bob

I'm not sure the original poster will see this.  He made 3 posts to CASCITY in a little over 2 hours a couple months ago and hasn't been back.

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 05:28:20 AM »
Apparently, his "wits" finally gave out completely.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline Abominable Bill

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2012, 12:36:15 PM »
I feel bad for the original poster that he feels that Cimarron has not provided him with good service.
I agree with others, his beef should be with the manufacturer not the middleman.
I have had nothing but positive experiences with Cimarron.
Any question asked gets an answer, and they have done all that they can to accomodate me.
I recently bought one of the 1878 Doubles.
It arrived to me with a damaged stock.
They went up and over the top to make sure the replacement arrived in normal working order and in a quick turnaround of time.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 367
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2012, 02:20:52 PM »
I've gotten a couple new from Cimarron since this thread started and have to say Uberti/Cimarron really did a great job on these. Both model P's and they feel like they've had an action job right out of the box.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Virginia Gentleman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Here's a McRib for Allah
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2012, 01:50:40 PM »
When looking for an investment Colt, that does not mean a 3rd generation, a real 1st or 2nd gen gun will go up in value.  A 3rd gen gun won't and if it is used even less value will be retaind.  Get something with history behind it and then you really have something.  The Italian clones are workhorses for CAS and I would agree that the SAA design was not meant for this kind of punishment, so I agree that the design is bound to fail eventually needing some kind of service that won't be covered under warranty.  I have not purchased any guns from Cimarron in a while, but only because I know and live not far from Taylors & Co. who have treated me right.

Offline pakm

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2013, 08:01:32 PM »
I have most of the S&W "N" frame smiths. I love them, then I picked up a comentive smith (model 544) in .44-40. ok, I had to reload for it. then I picked up a 1860 open top in .44 special. now that's a accurate shooter. then came a Henry in .45 LC(yes, I've got several "N" frame smiths in .45 LC and a schoefield in .45 LC. now i"m getting real interested in these olld type guns. then a few more .44's and .44-40's,  I then brought a couple of guns from Cimarron Arms, so far I've got three or four model "P";s in .45 a couiple in .44-40 , now I'm into 38-40 and just picked up 32-20 pistols and rifles.  all the uberti pjistols model "P" or open top. shoot to point of aim.  you just raise the front sight a little more or less to hit what your aiming at. and the Uberti's all seem to "breakin" fairly quick. as in getting a smooth action and trigger.  I"ve had five or six Ruger varquos and not one shot to point of aim. infact they where so bad that I couldn't wait to get rid of them. (most in .45 but one or two in .38/357.)  my 38-40 and my newest 32-20 are sweet shooting accurate pistols(that both shoot to point of aim). then I found the pedersoli lighting, now they are really nice. the one I shoot is in .44-40.  but I now have a few others.  I did pick up 1866's in 32-20 and 38-40. the little shooting I had with them was nice. but I'm loading my 38-40's with a 40 cal SWC for a smith revolver. I think it just a little too long. I might have to get a "lever action bullet" for loading the lever action rifles. I did get two Spencers ordered should be here Thursday, after reading all the stuff I could find on spencers I got these two in .45 schoefield. (it ain't that far from the LC.) but so far Cimarron arims has treated me nice(I haven't paid any freight yet) I haven't had to think about any warranaty work, (I do a lot of tinkering with guns myself) I had(SAA Colts many years ago, I wasn't inpressed with them at all.  but smiths and wessons "N" frames are inpressive, but so far I can't see a problem with the guns from Cimarron.  I picked up a trashed Bretta stamped in .45 LC. I put a Uberti barrel and cylinder on it in .44-40. and it still shoots to point of aim(ok, I only worked on lineing up the barrel for about 2.5 hours. and then I had to match the cylinder to the frame, it was an interesting project.   
    Pat

Offline Hickok

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2013, 02:13:42 PM »
The Cimarron/ Uberti cap and ball Colts that I own are outstanding pieces of work.

I have a couple of Pietta Colts made in the 1990's that were more like "kit guns", I had to practically rebuild them and refit the parts to get them "in time" and hitting in the same general direction the barrel was pointing, instead of 6 inches off in windage at 30 feet.

I know that percussion guns tend to shoot high, I can live with that and it is easy to correct, and windage of 1 or 2 inches can be remedied, but barrels with bores drilled off centered and cylinder arbor pins turned in a few degrees too much, causing canting of the barrel to one side are a major pain to correct. Also had a pietta barrel that was not fully rifled.

My Pietta's are fine handguns now, but it did take some time and money to get them that way. I read that the newer CNC made Piettas are alot better.

As for me, I prefer Cimarron and/or Uberti products.
All credit and praise to Lord Jesus

Offline Roshi

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2013, 10:45:40 AM »
I am happy with Cimarron and have always gotten good service.  I have several of the Pietta's they carry, Model P's, and they are as good as any Uberti I've owned although the Custer Model I got was no where as nicely finished as the Uberti Cimarron Custer I had years ago.

Offline Six Gun Saint

• Top Active Citizen
  • You can't have no idea how little I care...
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2013, 04:38:16 PM »
Just took my brand new Uberti Cattlemen out to the monthly ONSP match-they functioned like a champ on factory AND handloads (for the record, I MUCH prefer handloads).

No problems, no nothing-just a bang when I pulled the trigger-just like it's supposed to do.

They clean up easy, too.

So.  Cimarron is an Uberti Importer.  I feel if you go with them, you'll not go wrong.
The above may or may not be influenced by medications and/or alcohol...  (i.e. don't blame me if it's bad spelling/incoherent)
--------

July 9, 2011-The Birth of Southern Sudan!

Ph'nglui Mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh, Wgah'nagl Fhtagn!

Do not believe in yourself, believe in me, who believes in you!-Courage Wolf

The gods only go with you, if you put yourself in their path. And that takes courage...-The Crystal Cave

Hiding won't help you, you see...  I control the bullets-I make them go where I want.

A gun's power isn't in it's muzzle velocity or caliber...-Revolver Ocelot

WE DON'T RENT PIGS!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com