Author Topic: Vintage performing 44-40 Black Powder Ammunition now available  (Read 13651 times)

Offline w44wcf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Vintage performing 44-40 Black Powder Ammunition now available
« on: September 18, 2012, 08:13:17 AM »
Buffalo Arms now has some stock of 44-40 b.p. ammunition that is a TRUE REPLICATION of the original 44-40 b.p. ammunition.

Bullet- Ideal / Lyman 427098 - copy of the original 2 grooved bullet
Black Powder - Swiss - a black powder that is on par with the finest b.p.'s of the late 1800's.  

http://www.buffaloarms.com/44_40_Black_Powder_Ammunition_it-158172.aspx?CAT=4438

Using the same components above that Buffalo Arms does, I was able to produce 100 yard targets of less than 3" for 10 shots AND could shoot a whole cartridge box full (50) still maintaining excellent accuracy throughout with no barrel cleaning required. ;D

Rowdy, at a price that is comparable to Black Dawge b.p. ammunition but gives much superior performance,  it would be wise that Black Dawge switched over to Swiss, which as we know, is much better than Goex, which fouls out quickly with two lube grooved bullets. 

w44wcf    
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member
.22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F., .45 Colt Cartridge Historian

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
Re: Vintage performing 44-40 Black Powder Ammunition now available
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 10:56:12 AM »
W44wcf
This is Great news ,and there timing is perfect . Hunting season is just around the corner .

Offline KirkD

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 12:21:06 PM »
That is great news. I still have to find some Swiss up here in the Northern Wastes.

Advertising

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 07:37:56 PM »
Must be turning out to be popular, it's already in backorder staus.  :'(

Offline w44wcf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 10:17:31 AM »
Yes, it must be. I wonder how long it will be before they have it back in stock???

w44wcf
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 08:18:15 PM »
Howdy
It's still on back order ???

Offline Hangtown Frye

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 11:25:48 AM »
Any information as to the actual load?  Is it a true 40 grains?  If unknown, is there any indication of the actual velocities that are being had from a normal 24" barrel with these cartridges?  A true 40 grain charge ought to be bringing out some serious velocities far higher than is allowed by SASS rules (which is fine by me, I hate those weenie loads!)  I'd be very interested to hear more about it.

Thanks,

Gordon

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 09:26:17 AM »
Hangtown
This was found by W44wcf , he stated  it was loaded with Swiss probably 2f ( 37 grains ) would be my guess . This round is supposed to duplicate the Original Winchester 44wcf load for the NEW 1873 rifle . This round should travel at about 1320 fps yes this round aint no Weenie load . It would be an Excellent choice to Hunt with .

Offline w44wcf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 10:22:43 AM »
Gordon,
I talked with Buffalo Arms and they are waiting for a shipment of 44-40 brass from Starline which is due in around the 19th of November.  They estimated that it would be 3-4 weeks after that when the 44-40 b.p. ammunition will again be available.

They did not have any ballistics data, but as Rowdy indicated, a capacity load of Swiss with a bit of compression will duplicate the original 44-40 factory b.p. velocity.

w44wcf
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 05:57:03 AM »
So it should show up after the New Year, COOL! Guess it turns into a birthday gift (early) as opposed to a Christmas gift. ;D

Offline Hangtown Frye

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2012, 10:59:55 AM »
Rowdy, w44WCF;

Thanks!  That's the info I was looking for!  I appreciate the update.

Cheers!

Gordon

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 170
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2012, 05:11:47 PM »
Starline called me two days ago and are now shipping 44/40 brass. WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, 06:21:30 PM »
 ;D Just got a call from Buffalo Arms letting me know my backorder for their black powder 44-40 will go in the mail tomorrow. Said I should have it in hand by next week. :D

Offline w44wcf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2012, 10:29:37 AM »
Pathfinder,

Thank you(!) for the great news! ;D ;D ;D  

Excellent!  Please let us know how it performs for you......

w44wcf
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2012, 06:53:23 AM »
W44WCF, it'll be a test of not only the ammo, I may have to break out the old Euroarms rifle for that, but also for the '73 I've put back into shooting shape. Unfortunately they don't allow us to hunt with a rifle in Ohio, so I'd have to go down to Kentucky for that; next year maybe. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Offline djossi@yahoo.com

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2013, 01:02:19 PM »
Does using black powder mean that additional effort will need to be invested in cleaning the rifle?

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2013, 02:11:07 PM »
Does using black powder mean that additional effort will need to be invested in cleaning the rifle?

It is actually easier, but you have to pay attention and clean soon after shooting, like as soon as you return to camp or home, whichever happens first.  The urgency depends on the relative humidity of your area and current weather.  

It is not hard, especially for cartridge firearms as there are fewer opportunities for fouling to spread throughout the innards. Start with several soapy water patches through the barrel followed by any one of a number of BP cleaning solvents until clean. AND THEN LUBRICATE ASAP to prevent flash rust on the now very clean ferrous surface. Wipe out any apparent BP fouling that you note anywhere along the way. One thing that I don't find when shooting properly lubed BP ammo is leading!

Store where there is dry air circulating and check every once in a while. Get into your gunsafe often, especially soon after cleaning. Dis assembly for thorough cleaning might not be so urgent given thorough lubrication, but stripping, cleaning and lubricating before lengthy storage is strongly advised.

Read through the DARKSIDERS DEN, and THE DARK ARTS, as there is much more experience recorded there.

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,10404.0.html
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline w44wcf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2013, 07:53:24 AM »

Not really but the cartridge cases will need to be cleaned. Personally I use 50/50  white vinegar / water to do that.  After I get home or a day or two later I soak the cases in the solution until the bubbling stops (less than 1 minute) I then rinse and air dry.

For the rifle, I just use b.p. solvent or plain water. 4 to 5 patches later the bore is pretty clean. I then run a couple of dry patches followed by a patch with oil for storage.

w44wcf
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2013, 09:11:14 AM »
Case cleaning takes more time than the firearm.  I deprime and soak them in water and detergent first, then in some vinegar & water.  Recently I have been using an ultrasonic cleaner after a good soapy water soak.  I use straight vinegar, and rinse well when the cases are clean. The last rinse is water & baking soda. Ballistol is a good cleaner when mixed with water, and straight for protecting the metal.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Bryan Austin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2013, 08:24:43 AM »
Buffalo Arms now has some stock of 44-40 b.p. ammunition that is a TRUE REPLICATION of the original 44-40 b.p. ammunition.

Bullet- Ideal / Lyman 427098 - copy of the original 2 grooved bullet
Black Powder - Swiss - a black powder that is on par with the finest b.p.'s of the late 1800's.  

http://www.buffaloarms.com/44_40_Black_Powder_Ammunition_it-158172.aspx?CAT=4438

Using the same components above that Buffalo Arms does, I was able to produce 100 yard targets of less than 3" for 10 shots AND could shoot a whole cartridge box full (50) still maintaining excellent accuracy throughout with no barrel cleaning required. ;D

Rowdy, at a price that is comparable to Black Dawge b.p. ammunition but gives much superior performance,  it would be wise that Black Dawge switched over to Swiss, which as we know, is much better than Goex, which fouls out quickly with two lube grooved bullets. 

w44wcf    

Does anyone sell just the bullets? My bullet making is stalled at just using wheel weights. Cant seem to get them smooth and shinny. Accuracy is not quite there either.
Chasing The 44-40 Website: https://sites.google.com/view/44winchester

Chasing The 44-40 Forum: https://44-40.forumotion.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com