Author Topic: An Old Friend Returns  (Read 1823 times)

44caliberkid

An Old Friend Returns
« on: August 03, 2012, 12:03:03 PM »
Back around 1970, when I was 13, my Dad would usually make a Saturday morning trip to Bets and Sons Hardware in Des Moines to pick up whatever supplies he needed for the weekends projects.   They had the most extensive inventory of guns in town and I would spend all my time with my nose pressed against the glass display cases looking at all the guns.   There was one in particular that caught my eye, a Navy Arms 1851 in 44 caliber with a 12" barrel.   My brother had an 1851 Navy in .36, so I knew how they worked.   I used to mow peoples lawns to make money so after a few months of saving my mowing money I rode my bicycle downtown and bought the 1851 Buntline.   I didn't even have an adult with me and they had no problem selling it to me along with one of those brass bullet molds that made a round ball and a conicle bullet.
    I used my brothers lead supply to cast up some 44 cal. balls, and borrowed his powder and caps.  I shot that gun a lot and thought it was the coolest.  Years later, during the Iowa floods of 1993, the pistol was in a box in the basement of a house that flooded.  When I finally recovered it it looked like a dug relic.  So it got tossed.
   Tuesday night I was at an auction and low and behold one of these pistols came up.  It was made in 1976 and is in like new condition.   I got it for $120.   It's going to fun to pull that out at a stage during a match.   Glad to have one in the stable again.
I was also able to get an IAB 1863 Sharps Sporting Rifle 54 caliber for $220.  Someone shot it and left it dirty.  I've been working on cleaning it up, but the barrel does have some pitting, mostly just ahead of the chamber, but with soft lead I don't think it will make much difference as the rifling is still strong.  Anyway, I am quite happy this week.

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: An Old Friend Returns
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 03:46:27 PM »
Good on you Kid,

Shooting old time guns is a huge part of our chosen sport.  Shot that gun and grin like hell.

DD-MDA
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com