Author Topic: Looking for good sources of 45-70 Gov. bullets and brass sources  (Read 13028 times)

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Looking for good sources of 45-70 Gov. bullets and brass sources
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2012, 11:45:56 PM »
Hi there,

I haven't really looked seriously yet. but Springfield Slim seems to have everything I need and at least he is on the same coast ... but I will have to check in town ...

TTFN,

whytelw@comcast.net
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Pappy Myles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2012, 02:47:33 PM »
my favorite load with modern powder is 30gr H 4198, a 405 rnfp bullet, and WLR primer. I take a 1 and 1/2 square x 3/8 thick of polyester fiber (get it at Walmart) grammed in before the bullet is seated.  Velocity is about 1300, it looks like duck feathers comes out the muzzle when shot and I can keep a 1 1/2 inch to 2 inch group at 100 yds with my pendersoli sharps.  The buller is a lazor cast 405 rnfp.  A little bit of recoil, but its all about the shooting.
NRA Patron Member
NRA Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
TSRA Life Member
USMC Vet
Dirty RAT # 308
Life SASS # 59784 ROI and ROII

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2012, 03:57:24 PM »
my favorite load with modern powder is 30gr H 4198, a 405 rnfp bullet, and WLR primer. I take a 1 and 1/2 square x 3/8 thick of polyester fiber (get it at Walmart) grammed in before the bullet is seated.  Velocity is about 1300, it looks like duck feathers comes out the muzzle when shot and I can keep a 1 1/2 inch to 2 inch group at 100 yds with my pendersoli sharps.  The buller is a lazor cast 405 rnfp.  A little bit of recoil, but its all about the shooting.

I actually looked at a site today and downloaded the load data to a pdf file.. It was about loading 45-70 using laser cast and true shot bullets with sections on other types and brands of bullets with various powders. It covered all three wights 300, 350 and 405 with several powders using lever gun loads which is what I got with the Rio Grande. They gave a min/max with all the other data so will give this a try. I have a couple of the powder including H4198 and Reloader 7 as well as H3031. They even covered some pistol powders with these bullets also. The site I got it from is http://www.realguns.com/archives/117.htm 3 different parts to this one using a Marlin but Rossi would be the same.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Advertising

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2012, 08:05:04 PM »
If you are not in a big hurry good deals on brass show up on the wire from time to time
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2012, 08:40:22 PM »
If you are not in a big hurry good deals on brass show up on the wire from time to time

Thanks Dan but I just got 100 cases of starline unused for $40 shipped, as you said in another forum in the for sale area. I also have 50 cases of Remington brass shot once, decapped and tumbled for $15 from the same guy. Now I have the powders, primers, brass and bullets as well as the rifle and dies due in tomorrow so will start loading some test rounds. Oh and I'm never in a hurry any more.  ;D
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2012, 12:55:43 AM »
The lyman cast bullet manual and their BP Manual both have a lot of data segregated by action type.  Typically Rollers and Sharps are grouped with the much weaker trap door.  The marlin being the strongest action will handle the heaviest loads.  Not sure I would want to shoot your light 20 inch rifle with heavy loads.

Then again with 350 - 500 grains of bullet the heaviest loads are not required for what you intend to hunt.

Please keep us posted on your loads and how they group.  Who knows a rio grand could be in my future.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2012, 08:03:42 AM »
The lyman cast bullet manual and their BP Manual both have a lot of data segregated by action type.  Typically Rollers and Sharps are grouped with the much weaker trap door.  The marlin being the strongest action will handle the heaviest loads.  Not sure I would want to shoot your light 20 inch rifle with heavy loads.

Then again with 350 - 500 grains of bullet the heaviest loads are not required for what you intend to hunt.

Please keep us posted on your loads and how they group.  Who knows a rio grand could be in my future.

I actually have 250 count of these each 300, 350, and 405 gr Laser cast with with 50 of the 430 gr True Shot (gas checked) from Oregon Trail Bullet Company. I'm working up loads from their loading book which I also have. My dies will arrive by noon today and I can set up my press for them. I also have several other books including Lyman Black Powder Handbook.. all new. I will start near the bottom and work them up. I looking for something in the 100 yard range. The Rossi Rio Grande is good to about the same as the Marlin 336 as for pressure limits so I want to stay within them regardless. I don't like to push the envelope when it comes to what I load. 
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Offline Cumberland Mtn John

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2012, 11:52:47 PM »
joec,

When you mentioned trying 45 Colt bullets in your 45-70 remember the diameters are different.
.451to.454 in your 45Colt and a way bigger .457 to .459 in the 45-70.
Cummberland Mtn John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com