Author Topic: practice from one gun to the other  (Read 4875 times)

Offline mama missalot

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
practice from one gun to the other
« on: September 17, 2005, 07:47:58 PM »
Hey guys what is the best way to practice the movements from one gun to the other. Do you set up a mock stage or is there another way to do this.  Any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Offline Tricky Trina

• Top Active Citizen
  • First Lady of the Fire and Brimstone Posse
  • Liked:
Re: practice from one gun to the other
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2005, 08:06:23 AM »
You can do this without leaving your house.  Just put on you gunbelt and with empty pitsols, practice drawing them out of the holsters and putting them back in.  You can throw in getting sighted in on target when you do it also.  Do this a lot and it develops muscle memory or a trained action.  If you can get some cowboy shooting videos or dvds, you can see different styles and maybe adopt one of your own.  I personally like the Evil Roy dvds, but you'd have to look around.  Ask your shooting pards if they have any you could borrow.  Just getting the muscle memory down helps a whole lot.  This works with any thing you do in life.  Hope this helps!
Trina
...and she rides into the SMOKEY sunset on her favorite, half-fast horse, Totally Clueless    Thanks Arcey, Tensleep, Wildcat Will and Querida Kate!!!

Offline mama missalot

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2005, 03:16:47 PM »
Hey Tricky Trina, I all ready do that I ment transisions between pistols, rifles, and shotguns. Pistols was the first thing I practiced because that was the worst thing on my need to fix list. I've got just about all the videos, watch them all the time. Thanks for responding and at least I know that I'm doing something right ;D

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:43:01 AM »

Offline Tricky Trina

• Top Active Citizen
  • First Lady of the Fire and Brimstone Posse
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2005, 08:48:26 PM »
I watch a lot!  My daddy always told me to keep my mouth shut and watch and learn.  Who'd thunk it?   ;D  Seriously, I shoot with a few really fast shooters and they have helped me a lot.  The great thing about this sport is people are more than willing to help.  I'll wager that if you asked, they'd tell you where you can make smoother transitions, position guns more efficiently, even give you hints on stances to enhance your particular style of shooting.  You just have to be a little brazen and bold and walk up to them.  Most of them will be more than happy to help a lady out!   ;)
Good luck and good shooting!
Trina
...and she rides into the SMOKEY sunset on her favorite, half-fast horse, Totally Clueless    Thanks Arcey, Tensleep, Wildcat Will and Querida Kate!!!

Offline mama missalot

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2005, 10:59:52 AM »
Thanks Tricky Trina, I know a few of those fast guns you are talking about. I think I'll sneak up on them when there not looking and hog tie them :D then I'll ask real nice like ifn they will take pity on me and give me some pointers ;D There ain't nothing shy about me, that's why I have to sneak up on them so they can't run, only kidding, Thanks for the info. Hope to get to shoot with you some time it sounds lilke we could have a fun time.

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2005, 10:40:48 PM »
You can practice transition from one type of gun to another at home too.  I have a small folding table that I stage long guns on sometimes and sometimes I stage them against the couch to practice vertical transitions. 

Here's some tips on transitioning.

http://www.kimandbarrymckenzie.com/Dig%20Em%20Deeps%20Hints%20and%20Tricks/DigEms10Points.htm
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline mama missalot

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2005, 11:25:01 AM »
Thanks Camille Eonich this is what I was looking for, I only got to sneek up one a couple of those cowpokes and I didn't even have to hog tie them ;D They gave me some nice pointers. With this other info I can have fun praticing(sp.) at home also. Thanks again for the help.

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2005, 08:08:13 PM »
Make sure that when you fix up your duds for practicing at home you mark them in some way so that you don't confuse them with live rounds.  My practice shotgun shells are light purple and my live shells are red.  Don't wanna blow no holes in the wall or anything.   :o
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Tensleep

• Damned Ol' Ranger
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dealer in Bullets and Gun Butter
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2005, 08:17:08 PM »
Make sure that when you fix up your duds for practicing at home you mark them in some way so that you don't confuse them with live rounds.  My practice shotgun shells are light purple and my live shells are red.  Don't wanna blow no holes in the wall or anything.   :o

That would be called "Pulling a Ringer."  ;D
Masonic Cowboy Shootist
America's 1st Grey Sash Cowboy, GSC 006
SASS 5756 Life, Regulator
Dooley Gang, Virginia Chapter
Just a poor dumb cowboy, tryin' to do my best.
"If I could roll back tha years, back when I was young and limber..."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com