Author Topic: Some News  (Read 6087 times)

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
Some News
« on: June 30, 2012, 06:32:49 PM »
Just got back from my local dealer who, after several recent attempts, finally got through to USFA on the phone.  Things didn't sound too promising.
Apparently USFA has nothing in stock, no back orders are being shipped and nothing is currently being produced due to some malfunction(s) with their manufacturing equipment.  He, my dealer friend, said that when asking direct questions regarding the current status of USFA he got only vague, indirect answers (he did get direct answers to the aforementioned three regarding in stock, back orders & production).
Whenever I hear talk like  this I have a tendency to take it with a grain of salt... just more unsubstantiated rumors.  This time I am starting to get worried.  I have known this dealer for a number of years and trust him implicitly.  He is as big a fan of USFA as anyone here on this board and has no reason, or desire, to pass on false information.
The following is mere speculation on the part of my dealer friend and should be taken as such:  He has had several "special order" guns on order for many months now and, after the phone call, holds out little hope of receiving them.  He too has heard the rumors (from another dealer) that USFA has sold off some/all of their CNC machinery and is currently employing only a skeleton staff.  He  now feels there may be some merit to this rumor.  Much to his dismay, he was left with the impression that there is not much of a future for USFA, at least not under its current ownership (his personal opinion - you may take it for what it is worth).

You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Some News
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 08:43:15 AM »
I have yet to hear any good news coming out about USFA in the past couple of years at least.  This addtional information doesn't help.  Thanks for passing it along to us.   :( 
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline North Bender

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 10:03:41 PM »
I wrote Gary Granger today to ask what's going on.  I added the rumor is they sold some equipment.  He replied quickly (he always does):

"We are re-tooling and updating the entire shop and processes. You are correct that our product line just now is making the premium grade only, we will return to the other models when the retool is complete and our expansion of current facilities is finished."

Hang in there.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:40:38 AM »

Offline Harley Starr

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 10:37:00 PM »
Thanks North Bender, I'm hangin' in there.
A work in progress.

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 05:51:45 AM »
I wrote Gary Granger today to ask what's going on.  I added the rumor is they sold some equipment.  He replied quickly (he always does):

"We are re-tooling and updating the entire shop and processes. You are correct that our product line just now is making the premium grade only, we will return to the other models when the retool is complete and our expansion of current facilities is finished."

Hang in there.
Hmmmm......  that does not make much sense as Capt. Fitzgerald's FFL indicated he has what sound like Premiums on order that he "has little hope" of receiving.   If USFA was actually delivering guns now I wonder why people are having to wait so long for orders.  It doesn't sound like Gary directly responded to the rumor that his company sold off machinery.  And the saga continues.....................
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline August

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 09:31:48 AM »
Come on, guys.  No gunz in two years.  They are Tango Uniform.

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 10:47:01 AM »
That "re-tooling and updating" explanation is the same one that USFA was giving out seven months ago.  If you go to the "Ask the President" section of their web site you will see that this is what they said on 12/03/11 in response to the question regarding the Omni-Potent.
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Offline Marshal Deadwood

• SHOOTER FOR HIRE
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 10:31:38 PM »
Hate to see them gone, but gone they appear to be. The one's I have are still the cream of the crop...glad I got'em when I did,,esp the 7 1/2" , old frame, .45 Colt.

Just tossing this out,,but if anyone is interested in a GOOD DEAL on a Shiloh Sharps #3 Sporter, classic buffalo rifle configuration in 45-90,,,,,,,contact me at  marshal_deadwood@yahoo.com.

Offline hanover67

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 09:56:56 PM »
If USFA is going out of business it is too bad. But, the economy is still in a down mode, and I understand from other posts that even CASS enthusiasm is waning.  I bought a USFA Single Action a year ago, after a year and a half wait. I felt that they jerked me around for a long time, but the gun I finally got is even better than I had expected.  I don't know where to point the finger: the economy, USFA price increases, or some other influence.  But, until the situation is clarified, I won't order another another gun. I'm now in the final 10 day process (in California) of picking up a Cimarron Bisley .44 Special to go with my USFA Single Action, 4 3/4", all-blue .44 Spl marked "Russian and S & W Special 44 and my Colt New Frontier 7 1/2" .44 Special.  I don't see how, from a price point, USFA can compete at $1,300+ against $600 Italian imports, or even a Colt original.

Offline Fairshake

• Shooter of the HOLY BLACK
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 09:03:05 AM »
The problem with USFA and I 'm a proud owner who had purchased two sets from Jim Finch before he gave up on ever getting any more guns.
The owner as many of you own the guns know is subject to huge swings in his business idea's. My favorite is when he shut down all production so that they could make the revolvers that came in several different desert colors for a finish. I don't know if they even sold one gun.
Jim Finch tried very hard to make him understand that he could sell the guns if they would just make them and have dealers that actually had the various models for a customer to pick up and feel. This never came about in my area that is for sure. I waited for over 6 months on each of my sets that I purchased from Jim.
USFA did in my mind cause Colt to tighten up their production and start making quality guns again as there was a new and good player in town.
My heart aches that a good gun person was not the owner of the plant and instead a person who does things on a whim as he is a multi-milloniare from birth and does not have to work much less run a company.
It would be wonderful if our economy was better and a person could buy the rights to the gun and make them a real choice and not a thing of the past which is what they are. With Sadness Fairshake
Deadwood Marshal  Border Vigilante SASS 81802                                                                         WARTHOG                                                                   NRA                                                                            BOLD So that His place shall never be with those cold and Timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat

Offline mtone

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 09:40:03 AM »
In my opinion, I think a possible demise of USFA would be due to a flawed business model.. I did the tour about 4 years ago and was awed when I saw the various CNC machines and operators and those that turned the parts into guns.  Probably 20-25 employees engaged in various areas of the manufacturing process.  Some of the parts were almost ready to go but others (especially the frame, back strap and triggerguard) required extensive hand work.  When considering the labor costs (benefits), machinery cost, facility cost (mortgage?), raw materials, taxes, etc., how many guns have to be sold to pay the monthly overhead?  Making everything yourself is quite commendable, but much more expensive in the long run.  The machines used at USFA are not unique to the business.  Most machine shops can make any of the components with a corresponding increase in profits.  I believe that if the profits were there, USFA would still be shipping guns in a timely manner. 

Offline Doc Sunrise

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2012, 05:40:49 AM »
Folks have danced around with the different possibilities of why USFA is a listing ship.  I would say some have touched upon the real issue, and the shame of it is USFA got the American train rolling again only to jump off.  USFA put together a solid team of people who were becoming world class in their skills, only to let them slip away.  USFA got Colt to sharpen their pencils and get back to high quality SAA building, and Colt opened a door for USFA that USFA walked away from.  As history repeats itself once again, upper management wasn't able to keep its thumb on the pulse for whatever ideas they had of their own and let opportunities slip away at the suffering and possible demise of another high quality brand!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com