Author Topic: .45-70 enlarging flash hole in brass  (Read 6224 times)

Offline Capt. Augustus

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
.45-70 enlarging flash hole in brass
« on: September 14, 2005, 10:34:39 AM »
In the May/June 2005 of Shoot! magazine there was an article about the .45-70.  In the Trapdoor section of the article, the author said he had  enlarged the flash hole to 3/32 to get better ignition.  Has anyone out there tried this and what were the results?

44caliberkid

Re: .45-70 enlarging flash hole in brass
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 11:31:40 AM »
I used the Spence Wolf book, Loading for the Original Trapdoor Springfield, when starting to load for my original 1873.  He recommends enlarging the flash hole and using only Federal Large Magnum rifle primers.  I took his word for it and never tried it any other way, so I can't tell you if not doing it makes a difference.  Some BPRC shooters enlarge primer flash holes and some don't. Try doing 20 cases, then loading 40 rounds identical except for flash holes, and see if it works for you.

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 114
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 11:51:02 AM »
I was told to enlarge them for BP, also. I don't know if it works better or not. I also mark the case head to indicate is was done, so I don't load Nitro in it.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:23:40 PM »

Offline Lou Graham

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005, 05:28:08 PM »
I did it like the Wolf book, too.
I only shoot BP in mine, so they are all like that.
Soot Lady
You can never be too thin, too rich or have too much ammo

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2005, 07:49:36 PM »
I haven't enlarged mine really, but use a  flash hole deburrin' tool and put a good funnel effect on them.

Myself I think either one would have about the same affect.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Hell-Er High Water

• Top Active Citizen
    • Hell-Er High Water
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2005, 10:53:06 AM »
I have not enlarged the flash holes in any of the blackpowder cases that I shoot, 40-70SS, 45-70 & 50-70.  I do deburr the flash hole inside the case and use a primer pocket uniformer to clean up the primer pockts.

In my 45-70 I use Winchester cases, Federal 215 large magnum rifle primers, 66.0 grains of GOEX FFg, 1 Walters 0.060" wad, 1 newspaper wad directly under the bullet and the Lyman 457125 bullet cast of 20:1 alloy, sized 0.459" and lubed with SPG lube.  This bullet weighs in at 520 +/- grains and the overall cartridge length is 2.930".  This gives about 0.050" powder compression.  This load will shoot 5 shot groups of less than 1" at 100 yards with iron sights and has won matches at ranges out to 600 yards.  My rifle is an original Remington Rolling Block action with a 28" Douglas barrel installed.

I have never had an ignition problem with the standard flash holes and the consisentency seems to be there for accurate shooting.  Give a load similar to this a try with an overall length to suit your rifle.  This is an over length load that I developed to suit my chamber with the bullet just touching the rifling.

Good luck and good shooting.

Rich Heller

Offline Grizzle Bear

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2005, 02:08:20 PM »
When I started shooting the .45-70, I read about enlarging the flash holes.  Went ahead and did so.  Can't say that it makes any difference, except for one thing:  The punched-through holes in the brass as they come from the factory are NOT all the same size!  So, in my opinion, worth what you're paying for it, drilling and deburring the holes is worth the effort, just to make them uniform.

Grizzle Bear

Rob Brannon
General troublemaker and instigator
NCOWS Senator
NCOWS #357
http://www.ncows.org/KVC.htm
"I hereby swear and attest that I am willing to fight four wild Comanches at arm's length with the ammunition I am shooting in today's match."

Offline El Paso Pete

• Big Lube Boolit Shooter, shootin BP since 1958
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Life, NRA Patron, RATS #1, Warthog
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2005, 03:05:14 PM »
If you read "Single Shot Exchange" you'll see there are some that think the flash holes should be smaller, i.e. .060".  There is a company making dies to swage the holes reducing them to .060". 
El Paso Pete   SASS #55577L  RATS #1
Mules,  Whiskey,  Diamonds,  Nails,  Gold Mines,  Fly Swatters,  Barbed Wire,  Oil Wells,  Runnin Irons.
Governments Run, Revolutions Started, Uprising Quelled, Bridges Destroyed, Saloons Emptied, Whiskey Bonded, Taxes Collected, Gold Mines Salted

EL PASO PETE’S MONEY BACK GUARANTEE
Simply return the unused portion of the product and
El Paso Pete will refund the unused portion of your money.

Offline john boy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2005, 05:42:57 PM »
Capt:  I just finished loading 30 rounds of 45-70's with the hole drilled out to 3/32".  This is my 1st go round with the enlarged holes, so I have no comparison ... other than hoping the groups are itty bitty little ones  ;D

Trying out a new recipe for the Quigley:
Winchester Brass
CCI LRBM Primer
70gr FFg Goex
Compressed: .385
Fiber Wad: .060
Lyman 457132 - 1:30 - Actual wt (531.0 - 531.6)- My Witch's Brew lube
Seated to the bottom of the driving band
No crimp
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 114
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2005, 08:31:51 AM »
John Boy,
Is that 70grs by weight or volume?

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline john boy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2005, 01:09:35 PM »
Slim ... 70 gr Volume. 
Forgot to add, I vibrate my powder in the case instead of using a drop tube
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...

Devote Convert to BPCR

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2005, 01:52:54 PM »
Howdy, pards!

This is sort of directed to Silver Creek Slim, but I thought it worthwhile to post here.  I don't claim to be an expert;  matter of fact, I'm probably still wet behind the ears regarding BP loading.

I've heard about enlarging the holes for more consistant ignition.  Slim said he marks his cases to make sure they don't get used for smokey-less loads.  I'm not sure how important that is.  I scrounged some 45 ACP cases from the range and when I de-primed them, I saw that the flash holes were greatly enlarged.  These were once fired cases from Winchester.  Not wanting to mess up by using cases with a too-big flash hole, I called Winchester and talked to one of their ammo technicians/engineers.  He explained that Winchester had introduced a new line of ammo called WinClean and that they were specially formulated for use in indoor ranges.  He went on to say that the primers used in this ammo wasn't as hot of a primer flame so they enlarged the holes for good ignition.  When I told him I was a reloader and asked if they would be safe for use with other brands of powder, he said YES they would be fine to reload and shoot.

Well, there you have it.  Use the information as you see fit.  Your mileage may vary.  Post no bills.  Don't step on a crack or you'll break yer Mother's back.  Whoops!  Got a litle carried away there - sorry! ;)

PS - I haven't needed to reload these cases, so I can't say what kind of performance comes from their use.  This post was FYI only; not to convince you to load something which could (possibly) adversely affect your shooting.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2005, 04:18:51 PM »
70 gr. volume. Forgot to add, I vibrate my powder in the case instead of using a drop tube
OK, for those of us still in the virginal stages of BPCR, how-in-heck do you vibrate your powder and how much is this gonna cost me and am I gonna wish I hadn't asked?
Oh, my!
'Ol Gabe

Offline john boy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2005, 08:23:27 PM »
Gabe:  Here ya go Pard ...
Vibrating or dropping powder down a tube serves the purpose to 'uniformly' settle the BP in the case before you compress it.
Why vibrate or drop tube power?  Beats me but all the guhrus do it.

OK, vibrating:  Somewhere in my travels, I bought this battery powered Accu-ssager when I was having aches and pains.  Actually, it does work great to massage your hands, feet and neck.  How much $$$ ...don't remember but it was cheap.

I drop my BP into the big cases using the Lee Perfect Powder Measure or the Thompson's adjustable powder measure.  If the 'unsettled' powder that is dropped will spill out of the case, I hold the vibrator against the case while the powder is being dropped.  It settles down and then I compress it.  Otherwise, I drop the powder - vibrate it and then compress

Truthfully, any type of vibrator will work and if you dare to ... go to one of those XXX stores or an XXX website and order the cheapest vibrator for sale. The motors in any of them are the same

Some reloaders have made elaborate vibrating setups so they can vibrate a whole tray of cases but as they say ... to each his own
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...

Devote Convert to BPCR

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2005, 09:14:44 PM »
I jest hate that.  Jest when I find a hot hole that fits, someone wants to go enlarge it.  I think the original hole is jest rite as shipped.  However, I don't much care for burrs and slivers. . .

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com