Author Topic: First,Second & Third Generation Colts  (Read 8625 times)

Offline six fingers

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
First,Second & Third Generation Colts
« on: May 27, 2004, 12:57:43 PM »
What is the difference between these generations of colts.
Is is simply an additional screw or weight changes that make
the distinctions?

Offline w.b. masterson

• William Barclay Masterson
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: First,Second & Third Generation Colts
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2004, 10:43:36 PM »
Well, I wouldn't consider myself a Colt "expert," but I'll give a shot at answering your question.  First generation Colt SAA's were made from 1873 until approximately 1941 when Colt stopped production for WWII (approx. 357,000 ser. no.).  Colt didn't think there was enough demand after the war to retool (original tooling was either worn out or used for another purpose).  Great Western and Ruger among others proved them wrong as western movies during the 40's and 50's were extremely popular.  Colt started back in production with second generation pistols approximately 1955 (I'm working from memory here and may be off a year or so).  Second generation were essentiall the same as first generation with the exception being bore diameter for .45 changing from .454 to .451.  Colt produced these until the tooling wore out again about 1975.  Third generation went into production in 1977.  Several changes: cylinder bushing changed to a pressed in bushing, hammer slightly changed, rachets on cylinder changed and hand modified to simplify production and eliminate hand fitting.  Also, barrel threads were changed to a different pitch so that new barrels couldn't be put into old frames without crushing the threads.  Anyone else want to add anything to this?
"There are those who argue that everything breaks even in this old dump of a world of ours. I suppose these ginks who argue that way hold that because the rich man gets ice in the summer and the poor man gets it in the winter things are breaking even for both. Maybe so, but I'll swear I can't see it

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2004, 10:14:07 AM »
Well WB without getting out the books it seems as if you have at least the essentials.

Many feel that the 2nd generation are the finest examples of the Colt Single Action.  The tooling was new. The steel was better and many of the old craftsman who had worked on the 1st generation were still with Colt.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:05:30 AM »

Offline Capt. Jack McQuesten

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2004, 11:23:40 AM »
I think there was a difference in the way the cylinder pin was secured to the frame. The 1st Gens had a screw in the front of the frame, while the 2nd & 3rd Gens had a spring loaded crossbolt. I do believe the 1st Gens had a different style ejector rod button (larger?), although I an not sure on this. Somewhere aout this time, Colt switched from one piece wood grips to two piece hard rubber grips as well.
SASS #56937  BOLD #527  RATS #120  WARTHOG
"There's payment to be made to them thats done this...."

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2004, 07:05:28 PM »
Welll Kid you are part right.  The earliest 1st generations had the screw in the front of the frame and the bullseye ejector button but the later 1st generations had the cross bolt and the half moon button. They were still first generations.  As W.B. mentioned the end of the first generation is considerd when production was halted at the beginning of WW2.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com