Author Topic: 7.5 smokewagon  (Read 6205 times)

Offline Gen Lew Wallace

• Major General, VIII Corps, Commander Middle Dept.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Savior of Washington D.C.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
7.5 smokewagon
« on: May 23, 2012, 08:30:43 PM »
Does anyone know why the Smokewagon model never came in 7.5? 
Retired USAF, 20 years defending my beloved nation
NRA Life, SUVCW, GAF#164, AF&AM, AASR

"This is my native state.  I will not leave it to serve the South.  Down the street yonder is the old cemetery, and my father lies there going to dust.  If I fight, I tell you, it shall be for his bones." -Lew Wallace, after the 1860 election

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: 7.5 smokewagon
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 05:42:37 AM »
Does anyone know why the Smokewagon model never came in 7.5? 

Because.   ::)

Actually, I bet it has to do with the fact that it was being marketed to CAS who were going for competition guns.  I also bet that you could get the 5.5 inch and have a 7.5 inch barrel put on if you really want one.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 274
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 07:37:22 AM »
Actually, I bet it has to do with the fact that it was being marketed to CAS who were going for competition guns.  I also bet that you could get the 5.5 inch and have a 7.5 inch barrel put on if you really want one.
I believe Don hit the nail on the head here.

I have a pair of Deluxe Smokewagons in .38 Special with 5-1/2" barrels. They are excellent and the only pistols I've ever shot stock right out of the box.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:33:27 AM »

Offline Gen Lew Wallace

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 07:53:26 AM »
The proverbial nail might have been hit on the head.  You know I think some folks might like to use a 7.5 to still compete and have fun.  

"This is my native state.  I will not leave it to serve the South.  Down the street yonder is the old cemetery, and my father lies there going to dust.  If I fight, I tell you, it shall be for his bones." -Lew Wallace, after the 1860 election

Offline Thomas (Tom) Horn aka James Hicks

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS#86684 Wartrace Regulators
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 11:46:53 PM »
Deadeye Don has the correct answer. There maybe some "FAST" shooters that use 7.5" pistols but most of the fast competitors in SASS go with the 4 and 3/4" or 5.5" barrels and that is how the "Smokewagon" was marketed. All Uberti did was fancy up the "Cattleman Model" with square cut rear sight and a wee bit wider front sight, along with some thinner grips with diamond cuts for a better grip.  If you disassemble a smokewagon you will see that the bolt is a wire bolt, and the trigger and sear/bolt spring is a wire spring. The hand is coil spring & plunger type and Uberti left out the small screw that holds the coil spring and plunger in place.  Ifn you have Uberti Cattleman 7.5" or the Custer Model you can make them as "SLICK" as the Smokewagons.  Remove the screw for the coil spring & plunger, not needed as the backstrap holds these parts in when assembled, that small screw just adds more pressure to the hand and it is not needed. Order and install a LEE GUNSLINGER KIT, which has the WIRE spring for the Trigger and Bolt and a reduced Main Spring. Your Cattleman 7.5" or your Custer 7.5" will be as slick as the Smokewagon. The Squarecut rear sight is not needed, not for SASS shooting. With more work on the Lee MainSpring you can make it even slicker... maybe too slick. I have a pair of Smokewagons in Artillery model and they were comp ready ROB. But I also have two 7.5" Cattleman/Custer Models along with 2 Cattleman in 4 and 3/4".  After doing the modifications stated, my Cattleman models are even more race ready than the Smokewagons. They just do not have the "thinner" grips or the square cut rear sight. Doing what I have stated is "CHEAPER" than buying two barrels of 7.5" and installing. But that is me...
"If I killed that kid, it was the best shot I ever made, and the dirtiest trick I ever did."

Offline Gen Lew Wallace

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 05:59:38 AM »
Thank you Tom.  I ordered a pair of cattlemen in 7 1/2 from Cody Conagher last week. 

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 11:46:16 PM »
Gen Lew- I will assume that Cody has completed action work on the Cattleman 7.5" you bought, or are they as they come from the factory? If Cody did not remove that tiny screw that holds the Hand Coil Spring and plunger in, I suggest, that you remove that small screw.  Once that screw is removed and the revolver is reassembled, you will be AMAZED at how much easier the Cattleman works when shooting either Duelist or Two Handed.  That small screw really puts a LOT OF PRESSURE on the Coil Spring which in turn puts more pressure on the Hand, which in return takes more pressure to cock the pistol.  When I stated maybe I made mine "To Slick", I was referring to the Main Spring. I took the Lee Gunslinger Spring Kit and on the Main Spring, I sanded out all the ridges and cuts that were made when they made the spring (other words... I made the Main Spring look like a mirror), Yee hah...ifn you do that...make sure you test the revolver with only primer loaded cartridges... you can make the main spring to weak. Do not ask me how I know that! ALSO check this: Some of the Cattleman's CYLINDER PINS have the SAFETY TYPE Cylinder pins. If pushed in all the way (either Old Model Frame or Pre-War Frame) the pistol will not shoot. I see a lot of shooter's step up to a stage and their pistol does not shoot. Much to their embarassment, they did not check the Cylinder Pin!!! Best solution to this problem is take a dremal tool and PERMANENTLY SHORTEN the Cylinder Pin so this will not happen.  Another thing that SOME of the Cattleman Revolvers have is a SAFETY BAR on the hammer. It also is not needed and I for one do not know WHY Uberti puts these SILLY contraptions on some of their pistols. Something tells me a LAWYER got into the picture on this one. My 7.5" Cattleman had this (I removed it). My Custer Model did not have. I hope you have fun shooting the Cattleman.
"If I killed that kid, it was the best shot I ever made, and the dirtiest trick I ever did."

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1264
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 01:02:40 AM »
I would not remove the tiny setscrew for the coil hand spring.  It is there for a reason, so you don't lose the spring and plunger when you remove the backstrap.  You can cut the coil spring in half to accomplish the same thing.  Also, be aware that going too light with the hand spring (either coil type or leaf type) can possibly contribute to over-rotation issues with the cylinder.

Gen. Wallace, as to your original question:  Cimarron did make their Evil Roy (of which the Smokewagon is basically a copy) in 7.5" but is going to discontinue that length for the same reasons as mentioned above.  I'm sure you will enjoy your Cattlemen.

Offline Gen Lew Wallace

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 06:07:54 AM »
Thank you; I plan to.  I have heard nothing but praise for Cody's action jobs.  I don't figure I will win any big time events, but I still want to be competitive when I shoot.  I have always preferred the 7 1/2 pistols myself.  Guess that's the Marshal Dillon in me.  8)

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 10:17:23 PM »
Abilene- You may be correct about not removing that tiny screw... HOWEVER... the Smokewagons are sold with no hand coil /plunger screw in. That is where and why I got the idea to remove it from my other Cattlemen Uberti revolvers. If one removes it and does not re-install it he or she would know that when you remove the backstrap to hold the pistol handle end up so that you won't loose the spring and the plunger.  So, since my Smokewagon's did not have the screw in as they came ROB, I figured that small screw is not so important. Your statement ...It is there for a reason. Well that could be stated for those silly safety bars on the hammer and the ASM cylinder Pin ... BUT it is not needed, it serves no purpose other than holding the spring in, which the backstrap does anyway, and it puts too much pressure on the hand. Removing the screw is easier than cutting the spring... what you cut, you cannot put back on.  But that is my opinion. Just as I am sure there are a lot of folks who shoot the Cattleman would disagree with me on removing those silly safeties on the hammer or cutting the cylinder pin. Tis ok, everybody has his or her own druthers. What works good for me, may not be your cup of tea. Everybody has his own likes or dislikes... I was only telling Gen Lew the way I did it. I will bet that when Gen Lew receives his Cattlemen from Cody, the screws have been removed, but I am guessing.  Not trying to start a rowl, just gave Lew my opinion on the way I do it.. for what it is worth, and that aint much.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com