Author Topic: Be kind, don't laugh too hard. It's my first effort  (Read 6702 times)

Offline Bugscuffle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Be kind, don't laugh too hard. It's my first effort
« on: May 04, 2012, 07:02:56 PM »
I posted on another thread that I wasn't going to post photos of my SASS rig here, but I feel that I need the constructive critisism enough that I can take a little ribbing about my leather crafting abilities or lack thereof. Here is a link to a photobucket album with four photos of my first effort at a gun rig. My only other real experience in leathercracfing was a purse that I made for my wife. I would appreciate any CONSTRUCTIVE critisism. Here was my thinking on the design. I shoot only SASS and in SASS you only reload from the belt for the shotgun, so I don't have a need for rifle or pistol ammo loops. I see a lot of guys using separate shotgun ammo belts, and the pistol belt is all loaded upwith pistol rounds that are not needed. The rule says that you must wear the shotgun ammo belt at or below the navel (that's a belly button for the rest of you). If that's where they are wearing them then about half of the men on the firing line must look like thay have three nipples when they take off their shirts. In order to avoid this in myelf, I incorporated the shotgun ammo belt into the pistol belt. Now full disclosure, I did not make the holsters, but rather modified the way that they mounted to the belt. Originally they had very simple and flimsy loops to hold the holsters on the belt. Quite frankly I didn't save any labor at all doing it that way. Of course i now have grandiose plans for another rig, but I'll have to wait untilmy wife quits hollering at me for what I spent on this one. I tried to explain that most of it was one time expenses for tools and such and the next one will be MUCH less expensive. Her response is unprintable here. Please take a look and let me know whaere I can make improvements.

http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p155/JiminTexas/Gun%20Rig/

I will no longer respond to the rants of the small minded that want to sling mud rather than discuss in an adult manner.

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Be kind, don't laugh too hard. It's my first effort
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 07:50:59 PM »

That's a dandy  Buggscuffle, for your first rig you did well, and thanks for sharing with us, keep up the good work pard, you have your start, it will only get better as you go along.

tEN wOLVES  ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 08:03:47 PM »
That's a cool rig, BS. I like the Mexican Revolution style belt. It's quite practical for SASS. Good job, there.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:00:42 AM »

Offline TwoWalks Baldridge

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 08:04:12 PM »
That rig shows great imagination and execution.  The tooling looks fantastic, so be proud!
When guns are banned, fear the man with a hammer

Offline Springfield Slim

• Top Active Citizen
    • Whyte Leatherworks
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 08:33:38 PM »
I've never seen a keeper riveted to the front of a belt before, I like it, and may steal that idea from you.
Full time Mr. Mom and part time leatherworker and bullet caster

Offline bedbugbilly

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 09:02:30 PM »
That's a great looking rig - any feller would be proud to wear that!  Thanks for sharing with us!   :)

Offline Bugscuffle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 09:28:10 PM »
Man alive I did learn A LOT building this rig. I learned that the order of assembly is critical and takes some thought before you start glueing and sewing stuff together. I learned that you do ALL of your dyeing before you start assembly. I learned that if you leave an open bottle of dye anywhere on the workbench that you WILL eventually spill it. And then there are the things that I would do differently next time. I'd round off the ends of the keepers and not leave them square. I'll spend a lot more time rounding and smoothing edges. I'll do a little tooloing on the keepers and the other small add-on parts just so that they wont look like they are add ons. I'll use just one kind of leather so that everything comes out the same color even if it wasn't the color that I though that it would come out. I learned that I reallky like EVOO instead of Neats Foot Oil.
I will no longer respond to the rants of the small minded that want to sling mud rather than discuss in an adult manner.

Offline KidTerico

• kidterico
  • Top Active Citizen
  • I,m to small to turn the other cheek.
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 09:31:26 PM »
Bugscuffle Dont complain. You did a nice job. Dont stop now. KT
Cheer up things could be worse, sure enough I cheered up and they got worse.

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 09:53:34 PM »
He's right, pard. It's a good-looking rig. If there are things you would change, make another one with the changes. Then you'll learn MORE things you'll do differently next time. It's part of leatherworking. We all still think, "Next time I'll..."

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2012, 11:55:41 PM »
Man Bugscuffle i agree,you used the old noodle and imagination,tried a design of your own
Tooling is great,i mean i sure as heck can't do it,i will try at some point,but mine will end up boiled between a couple slices of bread. :-X

Looks like it does what it is supposed to do,hold guns and ammo :) :) :) I say GOOD ON YA! :) :) :)
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 12:05:15 AM »
"but I'll have to wait untilmy wife quits hollering at me for what I spent"

My wife starts that crap i tell her yea let me see that make-up and dresses and shoes bill you got in your wallet..

and by the way you old blister you sure are using alot of make-up these days! :D :D :D :D I told here the other day that
the make up she wore was comin from rendered leather and fat squeezed from a dead cow.. :D She spent a good hour readin the labels after that.. ::)

Carry on Bugster,Carry on! ;D
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 279
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2012, 06:38:57 AM »
Howdy Bugscuffle,

I would not laugh but commend you for jumping in and making a Rig with your own ideas. You did a great job and put a lot of thought into this Rig. You will learn and greatly increase your skills with each project you do. Many thanks for sharing this with us. We look forward to seeing your future projects.

By the way, while traveling to Florida last month, I noticed a town south of Nashville, Tennessee called "Buscsuffle".
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2012, 07:23:31 AM »
Good work and an inventive mind.  Right now you need to be working on those ideas you have that creates practical use leather.  This inventive bend reminds me of our friend Lone Rider, a very creative individual.   Use it for a while, make note of the changes that will make it more practical, then start making those changes.  Several great ideas there and I just might need to borrow a few of them, I have been known to borrow on occasion.   ::)

Offline Bugscuffle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2012, 03:29:46 PM »
I can't take credit for the general design. I saw a posting on this forum a while back. I don't remember who put it up, but it was a very old Mexican style rig that was built in more or less the same way, just no shotgun ammo loops on the center piece. I remember complaining that someone had stolen my idea about 150 years ago ;D. I am trying to curb my ambition to get started on another. I'm pretty sure that a little time and thought and practical use of this rig will go a long way in improving my next one, and besides now that I have two rigs I have to think up a realy good reason as to why I need a third one. I may need help with that one.

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2012, 04:35:19 PM »
Buy another gun ;D
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2012, 06:28:49 PM »
Got that right Rick.  I want one of them new miniature Browning 1911-22s real bad and now I think I know why.  It is more about making a miniature WB rig for it than anything else!  I'm thinking two layers of 4-5oz leather and beer can metal for the skeleton.  Now, how to get that empty beer can?   :P

Offline Bugscuffle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2012, 07:18:16 PM »
Thanks everyone for your kind comments and encouragement. I'm starting today on an OWB holster for my Bersa U.C. .45, in alligator. It'snot CAS, but at least I don't have to give the wife unit any excuses.

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2012, 12:28:12 AM »
... now that I have two rigs I have to think up a realy good reason as to why I need a third one. I may need help with that one.
That's easy. Because you don't have a third one yet. Everyone knows you have to have odd numbers of these kind of things. ;D

Offline Bugscuffle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2012, 12:01:43 PM »
That's it!!! I'll use the old "pair and a spare" defense.

Offline Biscuit Joe

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2012, 02:34:36 PM »
I find it best to have a different rig to go with each different hat.   ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com