Author Topic: A tall order,  (Read 2293 times)

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
A tall order,
« on: April 25, 2012, 07:27:31 AM »
After reading Roostermans post I was left with a question and it might be a really tall order, can it be filled?  To improve on the standard sights provided with my Uberti '76 BUT stay with something that would have been a longer range hunters grade improvement AND available in the mid to late '70s.  If it is true that Winchester actually offered all of the custom amenities for their rifles straight from the factory, what would they have used?  Wouldn't that have been a common request from hunters using the '73 in 44-40 that would have followed the '76 in 45-75?  Which sight models do I look at, where are they and what are the various opinions on them.  Remember, hunters would not have wanted or needed the fragile sights for extreme range target shooting with these rifles but a meat shot on a small deer at 300yds might make the difference in what one eats for the next few days!

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
Re: A tall order,
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 09:49:29 AM »
See if you can get a look at a copy of Madis' book on Winchesters.  He shows the different sights used on various rifles, including the '76.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Roosterman

• Top Active Citizen
    • Muzzleloading guns
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 96
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 05:32:09 PM »
Was looking at Buffalo arms site today and found Smith enterprises has an excellent rear sight replacement for the '76. They seem to be out of them now and they are expensive but look like a great alternative.
www.fowlingguns.com
Known to run with scissors from time to time
Citadel of Sin Social Club

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:11:14 PM »

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 04:56:03 PM »
I called BA today about a sight and some bullets, no bullets in sight at the present time.  The Smith rear barl sight has gone from $125, IN MY OLD CATALOG, to $200 current price.  Didnt ask what they were getting for the one they call an old Winchester '76 reproduction BUT will have to wait fer my govt check afore doing anything that pricey anyhows!  Now I got to figure where else to look fer some 350 gr bp bullets for my 45-75.   ???   

Offline Waddie Bill

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 12:14:34 PM »

Bob,

Try Montana Bullet Works, they show a 350 gr bullet GC from a Saeco mold. You might also try the 330gr HP from a Lyman mold.

That bullet has worked well for me in 45-60 and 45-75.

Good shooting,

Waddie Bill

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com