Author Topic: Marlin 1894C in .357  (Read 9545 times)

Offline warbucks16

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Marlin 1894C in .357
« on: April 08, 2012, 09:01:34 AM »
I am contemplating buying a Marlin 1894C in 357.

Does anyone have experience with this rifle, my primary question is, how does it function with the .38 Special Round?

Thank for any info.

Warbucks16
SASS Member
Storm Member #201
Scorrs Member
Retired Navy Senior Chief Hospital Corpsman
Marine Recon and Jump Qualified
Vietnam Viet 70-71 and proud of it!
Member NRA
45 Cowboy Special User.

Offline Longshot Lil

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Marlin 1894C in .357
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 06:23:15 PM »
My husband and I both have 1894 Marlins (his is a C, mine is a CS).  We've only put .38 Spl in it and it is great.  Had our guns slicked by a CAS shooter gunsmith and they are SLICK!  Very happy with them.  I don't see that we would ever put .357's through them, unless someone gave us some to "get rid of".

Offline yeti76620

• Reverend Sassquatch Dawg
  • Top Active Citizen
  • It's a good day to die....
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 06:59:24 PM »
Bought mine used some six plus years ago from a Pard who only shot the 38 spl to this day.  I shoot the 357 round because I had and still have beau coup 357 mag brass.

To SASS up this rifle for the 357 mag round the spring in the tube has to be shortened a bit to get 10 in the tube.

The 1894C Marlin is MY fastest rifle as I give the 1873'rs a good chase sometimes faster with it.  I LOVE THIS SHOOTER!

Only "draw back" is called the "Marlin Jam".....  after awhile the lever cuts a notch in the bottom of the lifter and it develops a "catchity" in the stroke and then latter it locks like a sear as the lever will not close to breach the round (loads two)... SUCKS!

There are some of "fixes" out there and I have found that it is just easier to replace the lifter every four or five years.....  The 1873 has it's own issues too that will rise to tic-U-off.

FYI
The 45's - 44's - 357's all have "shorter versions" that folks shoot and it is all good until a bunch of these shorter rounds have been fired then a "longer" or full length round is tried...Round STOPS SHORT!.....  Problem is that carbons have filled up that part of the chamber / cylinder where the longer round would have been......  LOTS of scrib'n to clear out that chamber!

Good Luck and HAVE FUN!
Yeti
NRA LIFE Member     SASS #76620     SCAA #1    RATS #480    OUTLAW

“Lord, make me accurate, my aim true, and my hand faster than those who would do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be "If only I had my gun"; finally Lord, if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.” ...... Amen

http://www.nationalgunrights.org/
CONTACT YOUR POLITICIANS: http://www.ruger.com/micros/advocacy/takeAction.html

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:49:59 AM »

Offline Longshot Lil

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 08:44:49 AM »
<clip>  Only "draw back" is called the "Marlin Jam".....  after awhile the lever cuts a notch in the bottom of the lifter and it develops a "catchity" in the stroke and then latter it locks like a sear as the lever will not close to breach the round... SUCKS!

There are some of "fixes" out there and I have found that it is just easier to replace the lifter every four or five years.....  The 1873 has it's own issues too that will rise to tic-U-off.

<clip>

For what it is worth, our guns were worked over by a gunsmith who does CAS, and he has modified the lever so that this doesn't happen.  Basically he carefully grinds off the sharp point so it doesn't cut.  This was all part of his "slicking up" package that we had done to each of our Marlin's.  He took the time to explain what he would do, and why and what would happen if we didn't have it done.  Having this done results in a much more reliable gun, and you don't get stuck in the middle of a match with a gun that doesn't work right.  People send guns to him from all over the country to be worked on.  He does fantastic work and my husband and I couldn't be happier.  He was recommended to us by another CAS shooter, who said "I wouldn't send you to anyone else".

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 10:37:08 AM »
Lil

Think you could post a pic of the offending part on the lever? Or is it obvious? My wife has a Marlin .357 she shoots very well and she'd like to keep it working well.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline HogDoc Olliday

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 04:30:50 PM »
I am contemplating buying a Marlin 1894C in 357.

Does anyone have experience with this rifle, my primary question is, how does it function with the .38 Special Round?

Thank for any info.

Warbucks16

I have one. Both my wife and I use it in CAS. I've had no troubles with it. Some pards on the range told me it would be a lot smoother and nicer with a slick job done on it and I will get Joe (my gunsmith) on it soon. But mine shoots very true...dead on.
HogDoc Olliday
SASS #89965
"Born 100 Years too late"

Offline Snakebite

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 08:04:08 AM »
Most all the Marlins are different. Mine would not run a .38 to save my life. I only shot .357 in it and never once had a jam. The guns are sometimes very picky about the length of the bullet.
If you do get one that does not run the .38 bullet, there are several gunsmiths in cowboy shooting that can take the specific bullet you will be shooting and tune the gun to run that round.

If you have one in mind that you are thinking of buying, I would try to run 100 rounds of .38 through it at the range if this is an option.
If it feeds them ok, you should be fine.
If not, you will know real soon.
Mine was brand new and locked up tight on the second round and did it often until I started loading .357.

Offline warbucks16

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 08:25:17 AM »
Longshot Lil:

Can you give me the name and how to contact the Smith that slicked up your Marlin 1894 either by Post or E-Mail? This Marlin is going to be for my wife, so the easier to cycle the better.

Regards,

Warbucks16
SASS Member
Storm Member #201
Scorrs Member
Retired Navy Senior Chief Hospital Corpsman
Marine Recon and Jump Qualified
Vietnam Viet 70-71 and proud of it!
Member NRA
45 Cowboy Special User.

Offline yeti76620

• Reverend Sassquatch Dawg
  • Top Active Citizen
  • It's a good day to die....
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 11:28:54 AM »
To All Concerned,

This "Marlin Jam" thing takes some years to develop depending on your shooting {lever'n} ability.  I shoot it hard and fast; therefore, faster wear'n........  Just be aware of the "catchity" on the close of the lever and know: "Ye MUST" do something in the next few months depending if ye shoot every weekend or not....

The Marlin 1894 lever gun is EASY to take apart...  LOL... It's put'n it back together..... not toooo difficult if you pay'd attention and learn'd how the pieces work on dis-assembly.  The Lever - Slide/Bolt - Ejector Spring {if I'm NOT using the correct "terms" please forgive me as a "Smitty" I'm not} are obvious and a no-brain er....  I remove-clean-lube {I used Tetra Teflon grease at slide 'n lever area} for every cleaning.

At this time you can see the sharp edge that Longshot Lil' pointed out on the lever, but the "slot" that is created after awhile is on the "Lifter / Carrier" part still inside and this is where it gets a bit more difficult as the hammer-trigger/sear-springs are involved with the lifter as I remembers it.

According to some of the "Fixes" out there rounding off that sharpness on the lever takes away (as small as it is - sometimes this is a huge amount) some "lift" of the "carrier" and the rounds fall short of the barrel breach and now the jam is at the bullet nose and the bottom edge of the barrel..... :P  :P  :P

The "Fix" continues by what is removed from the lever is now added to the lifter/carrier with a "harder" metal shim that is JB Weld'd or some other adhesive in place as I believe that solder-braze [heat] would ruin the "cast" part.  This is considered a "permanent" fix 'till the metal shim goes away for some reason and now you have a jam with NO warning....... :-\.....  

I respect the talent of Gunsmiths to over-come and adapt; however, all this has to come apart to be fixed anyway....  the part IS available and why ruin the lever too.  ( If I where a talented Ol' Cuss I'd put a roller bear'n at the sharp lever point in the correct spot for lifter operation and timing)....  In my "box of stuff" I have a spare NEW lifter-carrier to cut down order / backorder time.

CHECK This OUT>>>>Marauder's Marlin Jam Fix>>>>>> :o<<<<<With Pictures<<<<<:

http://marauder.homestead.com/files/Marlin94Fix.html

NRA LIFE Member     SASS #76620     SCAA #1    RATS #480    OUTLAW

“Lord, make me accurate, my aim true, and my hand faster than those who would do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be "If only I had my gun"; finally Lord, if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.” ...... Amen

http://www.nationalgunrights.org/
CONTACT YOUR POLITICIANS: http://www.ruger.com/micros/advocacy/takeAction.html

Offline Red Cent

• Top Active Citizen
    • Red Cent Custom Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 08:04:40 PM »
The 73s will run forever. If you have Cody Conagher to do the "job". Mine has never jammed unless you include operator error. They are pricey but if you shoot a Cody-Matic, you may be hooked. The proverbial stuff on a doorknob.

Here is very informative site for Marlin owners.

http://marauder.homestead.com/index.html

If I couldn't get  '73 or a '66, the Marlin would be next.
Life is too short to argue with stupid people and drink cheap booze
McLeansville, NC by way of WV
SASS29170L

Offline Daniel Nighteyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 12:10:15 PM »
Most all the Marlins are different. Mine would not run a .38 to save my life. I only shot .357 in it and never once had a jam. The guns are sometimes very picky about the length of the bullet.

Sorry I'm so late to the party.

I agree with Snakebite.  I have owned two, completely stock, Marlin '94Cs  The first was a newer one, and the second is an older one with Micro-groove rifling that I still have.  While both would/will (grudgingly) chamber .38 spl rounds, neither really liked/likes them.  I have seen a lot of other folks feeding .38 spl rounds to their '94C's with nary a problem.

So, in my estimation, Marlin 1894C's "are like a box of choc'lates..."

-- Nighteyes

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 02:58:41 PM »
For what it's worth, the only Marlins I've seen gibble on the line were 'tuned' guns. The .357 Marlin 94s I've owned (including the current one my wife shoots) were box stock and fed .38s without a hitch.
SWCs are a little "catchity" (love that word ....) and my wife hates 'em. I had no problem when I was shooting that gun. They wear in beautifully with use.

We just returned a new Marlin carbine in .44 mag as unacceptable - mismatched wood, poor wood to metal fit, improperly installed rear sight, etc., etc. If this was deliberate sabotage by disgruntled Marlin employees, they just shot themselves in the foot.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Daniel Nighteyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2012, 06:36:58 PM »
For what it's worth, the only Marlins I've seen gibble on the line were 'tuned' guns.

And, for what it may also be worth, neither of mine was a 'tuned' gun -- both were "straight-from-the-box" rifles.  Once again, Marlin '94C's seem to be "like a box of choc'lates -- ya never know what you're gonna get."

With all due respect, of course.

-- Nighteyes

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com