Author Topic: 7/8 oz. shot loads  (Read 3834 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
7/8 oz. shot loads
« on: April 05, 2012, 12:22:08 PM »
Years ago in a 'Sporting Clays' magazine, I read an article on the effectiveness of 7/8 oz. 12 ga loads for general useage in trap and sporting clays. The author had shot with the Brits using 3/4 oz loads and was amazed at how well he was hitting with it.

The Brit attitude is that it does NOT require 1-1/8 oz of shot to break a clay bird - period. They've been shooting light loads in their 2-1/2" chambered SxSs for decades, and I figured that Holland & Holland, Boss, Purdey, etc., might just know what they were talking about. I bought some wads for 7/8 oz. loads and find them quite adequate for 16 yd trap and CAS. My wife loves them for the low recoil.

I ran out of 7/8 oz wads, but had boxes of 1 oz. Rather than change shot bushings, I started to seat a poly 'shot spreader' inside the 1 oz wad - Bingo! I got an even better crimp than before with the 7/8 oz wads. Plus I save 1/4 oz. of shot per load compared to 1-1/8" loads.
Of course you have to work out the right combination of wads and cases to make any shot load work. I'm using once fired Federal scrounged from the trap range.

The poly sprd'r wads have a stem that is supposed to be seated into the shot column before crimping. I cut them off before seating them into the 1 oz wad as a filler. Haven't tried tried using them as intended, but it might make a tightly choked gun better on clay birds.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
Re: 7/8 oz. shot loads
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 03:04:05 PM »
You Gotter Otter! 8)

7/8 and 1 oz loads do what needs to be done!
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Big T

• Big "T"
  • Top Active Citizen
  • www.tbarkcustomknives.com
    • T bar K Custom Knives
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 09:14:59 AM »
I use 1 1/8 oz cups for my 16 ga but I split a 1/2 in fibre wad an place it over the shot with 7/8 oz of lead then crimp I find if i put the fibre over the shot instead of under it the shot with my 14 grains of greendot will knock down even the stiffest plates even if the thing hits the edge of the plates ,I use a light smokless load for the 16 an my shoulder loves me for it , t
Tank & Kathy ,T bar k Custom knives

God Bless All to their Own Standards Accordingly thru Jesus Christ !

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:34:55 AM »

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 10:46:58 AM »
I use 1 1/8 oz cups for my 16 ga but I split a 1/2 in fibre wad an place it over the shot with 7/8 oz of lead then crimp I find if i put the fibre over the shot instead of under it the shot with my 14 grains of greendot will knock down even the stiffest plates even if the thing hits the edge of the plates ,I use a light smokless load for the 16 an my shoulder loves me for it , t

Interesting tip, Big T;  I'll have to check it out.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com