Author Topic: New to reloading and have a question  (Read 7952 times)

Offline One-eyed Jack

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New to reloading and have a question
« on: March 15, 2012, 03:03:07 PM »
I'm sure this has been asked plenty of times but I have a simple question which I'm sure has a hundred answers.

I have just setup my Dillon XL 650 and am about ready to reload my very first (ever) round of ammo.  I've got brass and have bullets on their way.  But what is your recommendation for a smokeless powder and primers?

Remember, I'm brand new to this so keep it as simple as possible.  I shoot .44 special in a Ruger Vaquero and .45 LC in a Colt SAA 3rd generation.

Also re bullets, I have ordered 200gr RNFP lead bullets, I assume this is appropriate for SASS

thanks,
One-eyed Jack

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: New to reloading and have a question
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 05:04:16 PM »
Get a couple of good reloading manuals and read them from cover to cover first.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 06:49:40 PM »
There are many powder choices, depending on what you are trying to accomplish.

Unique would possibly be a powder to look into the loading tables for.

It's been around a long time, and is very flexible (hence the name). 

It is the original 45 colt powder, and works well in 44 special as well.

Once you figure out what you want to do with your loads, there are other choices, but Unique would be a good powder to play with to start things off.

A reliable source of loading data is mandatory. The Alliant web site is a good and free place to start. http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/default.aspx

Like Delmonico said, get a couple of good manuals and read them cover to cover. You can't have enough information. Always check multiple sources as a sanity check. If two sources disagree by a little, well, that can happen. If they disagree by a lot, one of them is probably wrong. Typos still happen. Always check at last two sources.

Rick

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:00:29 AM »

Offline Sagebrush Burns

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 08:38:20 PM »
Unique is an excellent powder for 45 Colt and 44 Special.  However...  It does not always meter consistently.  I find that I often get a range of +/- .5 grain with an 8.5 grain throw.  Percentagewise that is a lot.  W-231 works similar to Unique and meters much smoother and more consistently which is desirable (especially with a Dillon press where you don't weigh and check every powder charge).

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 11:47:33 PM »
About 30 years ago I bought a Dillon 450 Press, I talked to Mike Dillon who suggested Winchester Primers. I've used them ever since with no problem that I can't trace back to my mistakes. I happen to like Red Dot Powder because it's clean. I shoot a 200 gr lead bullet because it shoots to point of aim with my revolvers. I want at least 900 fps velocity. While my suggestions may not work out to be the best for you and your guns, it's as good a place to start as any.

Also, I've used this same load to take WT Deer and usually it's what I carry for self defense.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline HolliferADollar

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 07:27:02 AM »
I reload both 45 Colt & 44 Special & have had very good results with Titegroup in both cartridges.  I use a Dillon 550, Titegroup meters very consistently (I check the charge weight every 25th round or so) from the Dillon powder measure, using the small charging bar.  231 also runs through the Dillon very well (I use that for 380 & 45 ACP).  I also use Trail Boss for C45S loads, it doesn't meter as consistently with the small bar, so if you use that powder, use the large charge bar.

Primers depend more on your guns than the press.  If you have lightened mainsprings, use Federals.  The only problem I have had with them over the years is, if the case isn't lined up with the priming punch, the edge can catch & roll over.  Personally I like Winchester primers because they have a little tougher shell.
Panhandle Cattle Company
Big Bend Bushwhackers
Panhandle Cowboys
SASS #91847
1860 Henry roster #151

Offline One-eyed Jack

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 09:24:01 AM »
Thanks everyone for the replies.  I do have a Lyman Reloading manual which I am in the process of reading but I wanted some comments from fellow CAS shooters.  Loads will be used mostly for SASS, NCOWS and related practice and just for great fun.

As an aside, I carry a .40 cal Glock for my carry weapon.  I'll probably load some practice rounds but I have read information that you should always carry factory loads - not because of accuracy/reliability but if the worst ever happens and you use your weapon, prosecutors and plaintif attorneys can make hay out the use of hand loaded ammo. 

thanks again,
OEJ

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 05:39:33 PM »
Sagerbush Burns,

What kinda powder measure are you trying to measure Unique with?

I'm using both a Lyman and a Dillon measure and have nor problems staying +- 0.1

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 05:43:02 PM »
I use a Redding BR3 and I can't detect any differance with my old Hornaday mechanical scale. 

As for the powders I could make a list of at least a couple dozen that would do the job fine.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 05:57:47 PM »
http://www.hodgdon.com/burn-rate.html

Pretty much any of the powders in this chart up to and including AA#5 would work fine for CAS type reloading, provided data has been worked up by a reliable ballistics lab for the caliber.

As I've said before I don't put much stock in "clean burning" when using smokeless powders because short of some gas operated semi-autos you won't have problems if you clean the gun once in a while.   ;)  In fact lighter bullets and lack of a good heavy bullet pull (A funtion of bullet size, case neck size as well as crimping) often result in loads that burn dirtier.   

I use Winchester primers because they are the most common around here so I don't have to deal with not having the primer the load was worked up with. 
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 07:52:24 PM »
I've used Unique a lot over the years. It left my '73 really dirty, dirty enough to affect function. I switched to Red Dot, a fairly heavy load of Red Dot just because I want a load that I can use for everything from CAS to hunting. The Red Dot is cleaner in my guns. I have no control over anyone else's guns, loads or results. In my guns Red Dot shoots fine and leaves my guns cleaner.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2012, 08:02:24 AM »
So with your "dirty" Unique loads what kind of bullet pull do you have?
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Sagebrush Burns

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2012, 10:04:05 PM »
Sagerbush Burns,

What kinda powder measure are you trying to measure Unique with?

I'm using both a Lyman and a Dillon measure and have nor problems staying +- 0.1

My powder measure is an ancient Redding - purchased in the mid 70s.

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2012, 10:38:07 PM »
I use the exact same crimp for all my loads.

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 01:09:15 PM »
I have used a lot of Accurate Arms AA2 and Nitro 100 for 44s 45s ACP and Colt.  Accurate says use 10% less New Nitro 100 if using old Nitro 100 data.  Their latest manual does have some NF (New Formula) Data for nitro 100.  The new stuff is very similar to ball powder vs the old flake.  The AA2 is a little sooty in light loads
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2012, 04:42:10 PM »
I use the exact same crimp for all my loads.

The question is not crimp but bullet pull, they are not the same.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2012, 07:08:08 PM »
Most of my smokeless CAS loads have been titegroup over the years, but since my local gunshop closed up, ny choices are somewhat limited, I use Bullseye for .38, because Bass Pro didn't have titegroup. If I need to load some smokeless for .45 colt or Schofielf, I'll probably either use that or Green Dot(because I happen to have some on hand). Basically, since there's no reloading supply locally, I use what's available.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com