Author Topic: Rifle classification question  (Read 2139 times)

Offline Galloway

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Rifle classification question
« on: March 07, 2012, 11:09:52 AM »
Sorry if this has been covered but whats the difference between a MI, PA, and KY rifle? I though they were all considered long rifles but Ive seen them classified seprately on collector sites. Thanks

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
Re: Rifle classification question
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 12:58:07 PM »
I am no expert.  I always thought KY and PA rifles were the sames.  Built in PA and carried by the pioneers and long hunters to KY.  I am not familiar with a MI rifle.  Most of the differences are changes in stock shape, and decoration on the rifles when you change geografic areas. 
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline James Hunt

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 03:35:27 PM »
All are correctly termed American Long Rifles. The nomenclature Pennsylvania rifle is used to describe the style of those early riffles, about 1750 thru 1830 that had the characteristics of their German builders largely gathered in counties about eastern PA. These guns show common styling but within that group there are a myriad of characteristics that have spawned many books. Additionally those rifles evolved over their period to change  in appearance. There were German (and probably English) makers in Virginia also, and those guns seem to have some English characteristics such as their locks and stock shape.

The term Kentucky rifle is generally attributed to a popular song "The Hunters of Kentucky" that came out after the war of 1812. Many of the frontier participants haled from  that wilderness area with their long rifles and hence the term "Kentucky Rifle." I have not heard of any  particular "Kentucky" style that would be unique to the area that are not seen in Pennsylvania makers.

Later the term southern rifle also became popular as those German rifle makers made their way south and into the Carolina country. Originally it was a less embellished rifle serving the needs of a poor population.

Original guns prior to the Rev. War were often of fairly large caliber, .60 not being uncommon. As time went on the caliber became smaller. By the time of the Western fur trade, there were many rifles coming out of the east by makers supplying the brigade needs that had characteristics of Pennsylvania rifles - Lancasters, Lemans, and others - although they were also less embellished than many early guns, and they were of larger bore sizes, up to .52. At the close of the rendezvous period, the half stocked plains rifle of large caliber was finding its way to the American west and it developed its own set of characteristics and followers - those seem not to be considered long rifles and the term Hawken has taken on a generic  meaning of style, at least since the movie Jerimiah Johnson.

So, an American Long rifle is a Pennsylvania rifle is a Kentucky rifle.

Clear as mud? Below are some Kentucky rifles.

A Pennsylvania rifle with strong Germanic influence attributed by collectors with "Bucks County" styling and similar to a rifle made by Andrew Vernier about 1785 - 1795. It has a 42 inch tapered and flared barrel of .50 caliber.

What many would refer to as a Virginia Rifle, or James River Rifle, but could have easily been made in Pennsylvania. Note the larger English style lock. Similar to pre-rev. war rifles. It has a 42 inch tapered and flared barrel of .60 caliber.

This genre of rifles have a huge and knowledgeable following and there are others who know the history better than I. Plenty of reference sources out there. By the way, these are repro not the real deal and have provided me with many hours of enjoyment.

NCOWS, CMSA, NRA
"The duty is ours, the results are God's." (John Quincy Adams)

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:37:37 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com