Author Topic: Wondering about noise or sounds  (Read 3495 times)

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Wondering about noise or sounds
« on: February 15, 2012, 10:41:23 AM »
I live in a subdivision on a caldesac street and man it gets noisy as heck at times,everybody on the street younger than i has a rumble truck,wakes me up everyday as i sleep closer to the street.I collect native american stuff and was thinking how much more quite an indian camp would be. How would they be structured as to how close each lodge would be and what would be some of the noises or sounds you would here during a normal day.Was one neighbor far away from the other or more of a subdivison scenerio?? In search of peace and quite~~ :( :)
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline ChuckBurrows

• Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild Rose Trading Company
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Wondering about noise or sounds
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 12:41:04 PM »
The lodges were quite close together in fact and no Indian camps were seldom silent based on period accounts. Dogs barking constantly was one of the big noises.

scroll thorugh some of the actual period photos here and you can see several camps and how close things were together:
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1T4GGNI_enUS455US456&q=plains+indian+camps&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=-Ps7T6j-BKWOiALej8WSDA&biw=1280&bih=567&sei=_vs7T9DLMIzKiQLd9OySDA
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Offline TwoWalks Baldridge

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 08:58:42 AM »
Also in a lodge often was the extended family, Picture living in a small, very small room with your wife, her sisters, your mother and a couple young ones.  Now picture those, well lets just say, night time noises. Couple that with the snoring and well, it probably was not quiet.
When guns are banned, fear the man with a hammer

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:00:25 AM »

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 12:06:18 AM »
Wish i could find a tipi for a decent price. :-\
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1171
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 01:32:59 AM »
Greetings -

until the availability of the Canvas tent fabric, Lodges  were constructed of much heavier hides. Before horses,  A typical Hide lodge might be a ten-foot lodge having a base of about 10 ft in diameter, and using ~ 15-16 foot poles. These were hauled on travois by dogs. After Horses became available the hide lodges grew to 12-15 feet (heght & diameter) and used poles ~ 6 feet longer.

here's an older photo, looks like perhaps 8-10 foot ?
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ1Ocbv5cmN0G3M_zP80oDSCmpxXY2VqjBfyMXuZDDzOrjBJM0a

When Canvas became available, lodges as tall and wide as 18 feet could readily be hauled, the top limit now became the length of pole. In the winter or on extended camp, one would string an Ozan , or liner, which made the inside even smaller.

If you were lucky and rich and young you might have 3 beds in a lodge. here a modern rich man's lodge
http://www.tipi.com/homepage/homephotosig.jpg

here's a traditional lodge - not a lot of room:
http://sunnysidestories.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/tipisetup.jpg

If not think more.
So think of 6-8 folks in a 10-12 foot diameter tent with a fire almost in the middle (toward the back).

and I am here to tell ya, just head down to Rondy and that's about as quiet as a village would get. Canvas doesn't stop any sound, and only persuades heavy rain....
I never got any sleep without foam earplugs .

Lodges were pretty close to each other (remember we are talking "back in the day" when raids and such were common)
 often in a ring with an opening to the east . Traditionally Lakota and Crow lodges faced east as well.

Gotta tell ya I really love 6 inch insulated walls with stucco & stone for warmth and quiet.

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 01:51:42 PM »
Rick,

I live right across the street from the exit to one of the major hospitals in town ... so in addition to three shifts of rumble trucks and base levels that sometimes shake the house, I get ambulances going Code 3 all night and day ... both to the hospital accross the street and to the hospital just down the street ... I can understand loosing sleep to road noise!

TTFN,
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 06:51:27 PM »
Wad you a better man than i,no way could i do that..My mountain man buddy has a big tipi he made,i would love to have one in my back yard just for now and then.My friend wife fell asleep in the tipi a few months ago and the lining wall cuaght fire,she got it out though and my buddy had to make another one. ::)

scroll down to see Chuck,he live about two miles west of me.

http://lasersol.com/history/Green_River/grr_pageant.html
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 10:02:23 PM »
Rick,

I am not so special; in fact, I have been know to sleep with foam earplugs in my ears ... but it is where I could afford to buy a nice house and will probably be carried out of it when I die .... *S*

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Drayton Calhoun

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 07:58:19 PM »
I used to sleep about 8 feet below #4 arresting gear wire on the USS Forrestal, funny how you can get used to unbelieveable noise, now I can't sleep if it's too quiet! LOL
The first step of becoming a good shooter is knowing which end the bullet comes out of and being on the other end.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com