Author Topic: My Cowboy Fast Draw Journey  (Read 20078 times)

Offline TwoWalks Baldridge

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
My Cowboy Fast Draw Journey
« on: February 02, 2012, 10:13:41 AM »
I have grown extremely interested in the Cowboy Fast Draw and realized that over time I will have a lot of questions so I decided to have one thread where I can accumulate the knowledge.

1st question:  There are three recommended sources for wax bullets.  Bandit shooting supplies, Spitfire and C&R wax.  There are colors associated with each company, blue - red - yellow.  Can anyone tell me if there is a difference of purpose of the colors or are they just colors chosen by the manufactures for product identification?
When guns are banned, fear the man with a hammer

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: My Cowboy Fast Draw Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 10:34:21 AM »
Though I haven't messed with fast draw for 40 years now I do use wax bullets from time to time. Here is the source I settled on and purchased 50 brass from him also that are already fitted for the right primers. Pretty easy to setup and no loading equipment necessary. Also pretty accurate for about 10 to 20 yards.

http://www.waxbullet.com/
Joe
NCOWS 3384

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 11:46:35 AM »
Though I haven't messed with fast draw for 40 years now I do use wax bullets from time to time. Here is the source I settled on and purchased 50 brass from him also that are already fitted for the right primers. Pretty easy to setup and no loading equipment necessary. Also pretty accurate for about 10 to 20 yards.

http://www.waxbullet.com/

Thanks for the reply ... that is spitfire - do you feel there is an advantage to the "Red" or is it a color to identify his product?

Advertising

Re: My Cowboy Fast Draw Journey
« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:42:49 PM »

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 01:42:24 PM »
Thanks for the reply ... that is spitfire - do you feel there is an advantage to the "Red" or is it a color to identify his product?

To be honest with you I've never given much thought to the color. I just figured that was the color of the material used. I've used some in the old days where white and seen it in other colors also. So basically I'm saying I have no idea why or what the color signifies if anything.

Oh and a correction above in my statement about accuracy that should read 10 to 20 feet not yards.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • know matter where you go, there you are
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 06:40:44 PM »
From what I've seen the color is more about the mfg, I think they all shoot good. I use the Dead Eye now cause the load easier. Even though you can almost load them with your thumb I still use the Silver Press to insure consistant depth. One thing to make sure to get are .45cases made for CFD, and Rio primers. Good Luck :)
Dead Eye
Silver Press

Jefro :D Relax-Enjoy
sass # 69420....JEDI GF #104.....NC Soot Lord....CFDA#1362
44-40 takes a back seat to no other caliber

Offline Marshal Deadwood

• SHOOTER FOR HIRE
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 07:23:03 PM »
So far, I've paid and shot a pards  was rounds. He buys the 'blue' wax bullets. I have no idea if one manufacture is better than another. I HAVE heard them talk about 'the better deal',,but I don't remember who has that. John loads his special .45 CFD cases with Winchester shotgun primers.

I'm interested in the information here,,as I'm about to order enough supplies to make my own wax rounds.

Deadwood

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 09:37:10 AM »
So far, I've paid and shot a pards  was rounds. He buys the 'blue' wax bullets. I have no idea if one manufacture is better than another. I HAVE heard them talk about 'the better deal',,but I don't remember who has that. John loads his special .45 CFD cases with Winchester shotgun primers.

I'm interested in the information here,,as I'm about to order enough supplies to make my own wax rounds.

Deadwood

Spitfire also sells brass that has been drilled for 209 shotshell primers.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 11:31:03 AM »
From what I've seen the color is more about the mfg, I think they all shoot good. I use the Dead Eye now cause the load easier. Even though you can almost load them with your thumb I still use the Silver Press to insure consistant depth. One thing to make sure to get are .45cases made for CFD, and Rio primers. Good Luck :)
Dead Eye
Silver Press

Jefro, thanks for the great information.  I am going to start checking the few places around me and see if I can find Rio primers.  The other items I will be getting from CFDA.

Marshal and Joec, sure wish we all lived closer, we would have a good start for a group.  :)

Now for my own strange observation:
CFDA is working hard to find ways to increase the membership and local clubs are also putting out a lot of effort.  This includes but is not limited to such activities as parades, founder day celebrations, demonstrations and even free classes and more.  Yet there would appear to be a glaring hole on the part of clubs ... web sites.  Having checked high and low, I have only found 13 clubs with any form of website and that seems strange in this day and age.

When a person does find CFDA and their extremely nice website, they click on clubs.  They will find information such as we shoot the 3rd Saturday of each month.  No website, no location and no directions on getting there.

I would tend to believe a lot of interested folks fall in the ravine never to be seen again.  Am I wrong in thinking a website could help increase membership in the clubs?

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 11:33:42 AM »
  I am going to start checking the few places around me and see if I can find Rio primers. 

I would tend to believe a lot of interested folks fall in the ravine never to be seen again.  Am I wrong in thinking a website could help increase membership in the clubs?
Howdy Two Walks, you won't find any Rio primers locally anymore than you can find real BP locally. Like most of our reloading supplies the best way is through UPS, I usually order 3,000 at a time. I always wait till it's time to order BP, pistol/rifle primers, smokeless powder..etc..etc..from one the vendors like Graff and Sons. Check with some of the locals and I'm sure they will sell you a few hundred to get you by untill someone does a group buy. I always go in with another feller on 50lbs of BP at a time, free hazmat and shipping on bulk orders.

Yes we need to update our web pages to reflect CFDA, thanks for the reminder. Good Luck :)

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 08:51:58 AM »
Howdy Two Walks, you won't find any Rio primers locally anymore than you can find real BP locally. Like most of our reloading supplies the best way is through UPS, I usually order 3,000 at a time. I always wait till it's time to order BP, pistol/rifle primers, smokeless powder..etc..etc..from one the vendors like Graff and Sons. Check with some of the locals and I'm sure they will sell you a few hundred to get you by untill someone does a group buy. I always go in with another feller on 50lbs of BP at a time, free hazmat and shipping on bulk orders.

Yes we need to update our web pages to reflect CFDA, thanks for the reminder. Good Luck :)

Jefro, thanks for the warning about finding Rio local.  I am fortunate that I can get Goex local but I will look and see if one of the locals can hook me up and perhaps go in with a few to order.

Jefro, you mention updating web pages, does the Buccaneer Spurs Cowboy Fast Draw have a web page?

I will be attending my first CFDA match this coming Saturday, mean while a question that will be answered there.  From watching the video's that are online, it appears shooters load one shell at a time, is this correct?

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 04:13:56 PM »
Jefro, thanks for the warning about finding Rio local.  I am fortunate that I can get Goex local but I will look and see if one of the locals can hook me up and perhaps go in with a few to order.

Jefro, you mention updating web pages, does the Buccaneer Spurs Cowboy Fast Draw have a web page?

I will be attending my first CFDA match this coming Saturday, mean while a question that will be answered there.  From watching the video's that are online, it appears shooters load one shell at a time, is this correct?
Howdy Two Walks, yea I can get Goex locally, but at $24 a lb....no thanks, not when I can have 50lb of Schuetzen shipped to my door for $15lb.....this includes free shipping and hazmat. ;D

We have a web site for our SASS club the Baccaneer Range Regulators, I'm gonna add the Buccaneer Spurs CFDA to the existing site.
Buccaneer Range Regulators

Some load one or two at a time, must of us go ahead and load five. We shoot two matches at once (four shooters), if someone wins thier match in three shots we still go ahead and shoot out the five rounds, makes fer good practice. Don't know if you have Quik Cal's "Hit 'Em Fast CD", it has some really good tips. Good Luck on your first match, just remember if you hit your targets (no matter how slow) more than the other guy.....you win!! :)

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 04:42:54 PM »
Ok, here's the practice tip I was gonna share with Tall Dark Slim, if you have Quick Cal's CD, the part on the draw will help.

First use the TV as your start light. The TV is constantly changing camera shots every few seconds, use one of the changes for a start light. Next put a sitcky note on the wall about 45"-46" high, this is gonna be the center of your target.
Now stand about 2' away from the wall, this will prevent you from making long aiming extentions with your arm during the draw. You will have to adjust this distance to suit you and your draw.
Yer gonna draw, aim, fire!! from the hip while pushing your hand towards the wall. Don't ferget to make sure gun is unloaded, and install snap caps.

Now, go through to call signals out loud just like yer at a match.
"Line is Ready"
"Shooters on the line"
"Shooters Set"
Now when the TV changes, draw and fire!! Repeat.......repeat.......repeat.....................................Good Luck :)

ps; remember, this is a secret tip :-X, don't tell anyone else :o Everytime I've shared this tip with another shooter they came back the next month and beat me :'(

Offline Red Cent

• Top Active Citizen
    • Red Cent Custom Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 08:12:35 PM »
Jefro, where are you shooting CFDA?
Life is too short to argue with stupid people and drink cheap booze
McLeansville, NC by way of WV
SASS29170L

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 08:49:27 PM »
Howdy Red Cent, we shoot at the Buccaneer Range outside of Wilmington NC on the last Sat. of the month. Set up at 8:15 and safety meeting at 9:00. Come on down and join the fun. Good Luck :)
http://brr.carolinacowboys.us/

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 07:56:21 AM »
Don't know if you have Quik Cal's "Hit 'Em Fast CD", it has some really good tips. Good Luck on your first match, just remember if you hit your targets (no matter how slow) more than the other guy.....you win!! :)

Ordering Quik Cal's "Hit 'Em Fast CD" today ... Thanks for the practice tip ... will keep it secret that be a fact.  ;)

Submitted Membership about a week or so ago ... what is the normal length of time before receiving the membership card and alias information from the CFDA?

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2012, 11:00:25 AM »
Tonight (Wednesday - February 8th) is the beginning of the new season for Outdoor Channel's excellent show Shooting USA. The first show of the season features the Cowboy Fast Draw World Championship (The Fastest Gun Alive Tournament) held in Fallon, NV last October.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2012, 03:02:02 PM »
Tonight (Wednesday - February 8th) is the beginning of the new season for Outdoor Channel's excellent show Shooting USA. The first show of the season features the Cowboy Fast Draw World Championship (The Fastest Gun Alive Tournament) held in Fallon, NV last October.

Thanks for the heads up!

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2012, 04:05:19 PM »
Being as I live one the edge, one foot on a banana peel and the other in the poor house, I ordered a Uberti Cattleman Hombre in 45.  I also ordered Lee competition springs.  The Uberti will be out of the FFL holding pen next Tuesday and then I will start on making the belt and holster ... Look out March, I am heading to CFDA.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2012, 01:38:49 PM »
It's a lot like Christmas. A package arrived this morning via the express rider.  It contained 100 45 colt cases and 1000 blue wax bullets.  Now the wait for Tuesday when I pickup the "Hombre" from the holding cell.  At least tomorrow will help temper the wait to some degree, as I go to my second CFDA club shoot as a student and observer. 

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2012, 05:40:58 PM »
Survived the gunfight.  Used a loaner holster and gun.  The gun is the same as I have coming, Uberti Cattleman Hombre.  Not so good but not so bad.  High time was 0.986 and fastest time was 0.856 with about 65% hits. 

Great folks, a lot of them the same as the last club I attended, then they are only 13 miles apart.  They all went out of their way to show us and to explain the in's and out's of the game.  Dang, can't wait to get all my gear ready and get heavy into this.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com