Author Topic: Cimarron SAA  (Read 4970 times)

Offline Russell40

• Ten Killer
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Cimarron SAA
« on: January 26, 2012, 11:14:52 PM »
Well I shot my new Cimarron SAA (44-40) today with GOEX BP loads. It grouped ok, however the internals felt like mush after about 30 rounds. The cylinder face was dragging on the face of the barrel causing blue wear and dragging as the face of the cyclinder built of powder residue.
So upon a complete breakdown of the revolver, I discovered alot of metal shavings and poorly fitted parts. I've owned Cimarrons in the past and never had this problem. The pistol isnt trash, but I thought that it was a "cut above" the average import. Maybe it was a Moday gun? ::)
Anyway, have any of you had these problems with new pistols? I'm not going the Ruger route (I like Rugers, but they are not of the original design) and I've had problems with Colts before.
Should I expect this every time I purchase a reprodution?
Thanks!
Retired Texas LEO
NRA Life
U.S.Army Veteran
OEF/OIF Veteran

Offline Marshal Deadwood

• SHOOTER FOR HIRE
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
Re: Cimarron SAA
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 11:39:55 PM »
No , you don't have to expected it every time. Buy a USFA.

Offline Russell40

• Ten Killer
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 12:36:59 AM »
No , you don't have to expected it every time. Buy a USFA.
I would love too purchase a USFA, however my funds wont allow it right now. I'm saving my money in an attempt too attend the NCOWS convention this year. I'm getting back into CAS now after a long departure due to many reasons. I'm retired now thanks to the loving Iraqis (another story). So I have to really watch my money.
NOW if someone would like too trade a new USFA (in Texas) for a custom built Polish AK-74 in 5.45, I would be very interested.

Retired Texas LEO
NRA Life
U.S.Army Veteran
OEF/OIF Veteran

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:38:12 AM »

Offline Virginia Gentleman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Here's a McRib for Allah
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 02:48:00 PM »
It seems USFA is getting out of the business of making SAAs so, their availability and value are changing.  My big concern is what will we do for spare parts once they stop.  My experience with Cimarrons has been good same with Taylor's.

Offline Abominable Bill

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 08:27:43 PM »
Well I shot my new Cimarron SAA (44-40) today with GOEX BP loads. It grouped ok, however the internals felt like mush after about 30 rounds. The cylinder face was dragging on the face of the barrel causing blue wear and dragging as the face of the cyclinder built of powder residue.
So upon a complete breakdown of the revolver, I discovered alot of metal shavings and poorly fitted parts. I've owned Cimarrons in the past and never had this problem. The pistol isnt trash, but I thought that it was a "cut above" the average import. Maybe it was a Moday gun? ::)
Anyway, have any of you had these problems with new pistols? I'm not going the Ruger route (I like Rugers, but they are not of the original design) and I've had problems with Colts before.
Should I expect this every time I purchase a reprodution?
Thanks!

Cimarron is the importer not the manufacturer. Presently they are selling both Uberti and Pietta made SAAs. If you look closely at your, you should find the stamping indicating the original maker.
Please let us know your findings.
Personally I have had poor luck with Uberti made Colt clones, and good luck with Pietta made clones.
I do have a pair of Uberti Russian model revolvers and those are extremely well made as is my 1873
saddle rifle and the 1860 iron frame henry that I once owned as well.

Offline Virginia Gentleman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Here's a McRib for Allah
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 05:32:56 PM »
So far I have had good luck with Ubertis and compared to what Colt used to make they were better if procured from Cimarron or Taylors & Co.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com