Author Topic: Cowboy money in your pocket?  (Read 6604 times)

Offline Marthor

• Active citizen
  • "The coming thing"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Cowboy money in your pocket?
« on: January 16, 2012, 07:29:55 PM »
I decided to pick up a 1893 Indian Head penny to carry in my pocket at CAS events. Bring a piece of the actual time period!

I was doing some research on the Indian Head penny and found some neat info. They first came out in 1859 just before the Civil War. They were 12% nickel then and thus referred to as nickels. After the Civil War, the Indian Head coin alloy was changed to bronze. 5 cent pieces were then issued in 1866 which were 25% nickel and that's when 5 cent coins became known as nickels instead of the Indian Head. The different 5 cent pieces issued before 1866 were referred to as half-dimes. In any case, during the entire production run of Indian Head pennies from 1859 to 1909 covered the whole time period of the old west. Common items in every cowboy's pocket! :)
Marthor's Gun Page ... on Facebook "click"

. Ruger Vaqueros [x2] 357 Magnum
. Stoeger Coach Shotgun 12 gauge
. Rossi 92 357 Magnum

NRA Life Member
SASS #93491
RATS #643

Offline Pay Dirt Norvelle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
Re: Cowboy money in your pocket?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 10:58:08 PM »
That is a great idea!  I have collected a few coins, but nothing from this era and you have just given me a an idea to look for one, thanks.  8)
PAY DIRT NORVELLE
SASS #90056
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
COYOTE VALLEY COWBOYS #37
RATS #650

Offline Drayton Calhoun

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 12:43:01 AM »
I've thought about getting a couple of reproduction double-eagles just for chuckles.
The first step of becoming a good shooter is knowing which end the bullet comes out of and being on the other end.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:04:15 PM »

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 01:40:22 AM »
I carry a repro 1847 (my bday is 1947) of a trade dollar.

I collect Indian head pennies....I have all the dates but 6. Just for fun sometime, take a look at what the 1877 IH will cost you in ANY condition....

also collect Morgan dollars...some of them are costly too...

here is my date set of Morgans...

curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Offline Wolfgang

• Top Active Citizen
    • The Desperate Hot Springs News
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 09:44:45 AM »
I've got a few old and  very worn Morgan Silver dollars for "jingle money" some replica "Trade Dollars" also.   Out in the southwest silver dollars were about the only small change and were cut into 8 peices for real small change.   A 1/8 peice was a "bit".  I have a "bit" and a "quarter" also to "jingle".    :)
Beware the man with one gun, he probably knows how to use it.

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 11:57:43 AM »
And the indian head penny is a likeness of the disigners daughter not an indian at all.. ;)

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Whose_picture_is_on_the_Indian_head_penny
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 427
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 12:33:28 PM »
I have one sitting right in front of me 1899 ..it was in framed set
someone was tossing out  :o

There is Walking Liberty 1/2 Dollar 1944 .Standing Liberty Quarter 1929 ,Mercury dime 1945,
Buffalo nickel 1936 , a 1944 steel penny and the above 99 Indian head penny,
heck even the little frame was nice...

Mom left me about 20 -25 Morgan dollars most date 1870's -90's seem the there is one 1808 ?
 , two Stone Mountain 1/2 halfs,  a number of old 1/2 cents ( about the size of a 1/2 dollar )

no idea their value ... but I read somewhere the scrap silver weight alone on Morgan Dollar's was abot $23 each .
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 02:38:51 PM »
Major

you are close, silver today is at $30.08, a morgan weighs about 26.6gms and is about 90% silver. But always check the date for value too....there are key dates and CC is always worth a bunch more.

Wolfie

I have an old 1806 1/2 Reales...which the Reales were the "original"  pieces of eight. I will try to dig it out and scan it...I joke and say I have a "piece of half"..
yehaaa

curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Offline Marthor

• Active citizen
  • "The coming thing"
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 06:27:43 PM »
Just think, Wyatt Earp, Doc Holliday, Wild Bill Hickok and outlaws too like Jesse James, Billy the Kid,and even later Butch Cassidy, all of them would have had these Indian Head pennies. It's fun to think about. It ties everything together.

Love seeing all the cowboy money. I want to get some more too.  ;)
Marthor's Gun Page ... on Facebook "click"

. Ruger Vaqueros [x2] 357 Magnum
. Stoeger Coach Shotgun 12 gauge
. Rossi 92 357 Magnum

NRA Life Member
SASS #93491
RATS #643

Offline Nokose Fixico

• Active citizen
  • SASS #: 32152
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 06:48:33 AM »
I normally pay my match fees in Sacagawea dollars. They are not "cowboy money" persay but there is something kind of different in paying your fees in pseudo gold coins. The line from the good the bad and the ugly always goes through my mind about paper dollar vs gold dollars.
Bob "Nokose" Fixico

Offline Short Knife Johnson

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 09:17:45 AM »
I have no burning inerest in coin collecting by any means, but I've happened across a few.  My most interesting finds are an 1888 Indian Head penny in readable shape that I found at a gun show for 25 cents.  A Farthing (half-penny) from 1893 that I got in my change one day many years ago when buying a soda in place of a penny.  Then there is the near mint U.S. silver dollar dated 1878 that came my way not that long ago.  I bought an American Arms spur trigger revolver off of another forum I frequent (for cheap).  The seller totally misrepresented the firearm.  In my disgust(with having been lied to - not wasting $75) , I went to toss out the box and heard a clunking.  Out skips a coin and rolls away like it was its job.  Upon it's capture, I took it to a coin dealer at the next gun show to be informed this thing is worth around $300.  And yes, it was a Carson City.

One of my quirks is to go through my change.  Amazing what you will find over the long term. 

Offline Danny Bear Claw

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 09:32:12 AM »
I have lots of Indian head pennies and lots of Morgan silver dollars from the 1880's.  I have lots of pre '64 silver dimes, quarters and half dollars too.  Always looking for Morgans in good shape.   8)
SASS #5273 Life.   NRA Life member.  RATS # 136.   "We gladly feast on those who would subdue us".

Offline Wolfgang

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 10:07:29 AM »
I normally pay my match fees in Sacagawea dollars. They are not "cowboy money" persay but there is soemthing kind of different in paying your fees in pseudo gold coins.

I like using those also at events and in Old West towns like Virginia City and Julian Ca.   Leave them as tips along with replica Civil War Currency.   I also use them for cheap flashy cuff links for "dress up" . . just super glue a couple of them on to cheapy cufflinks that I got in a thrift for 25 cents.  Don't have to worry about whether I've lost one or not as they are so cheap.

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 12:02:13 PM »
Wy you old cheap skate Wolffie :D
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Nokose Fixico

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 03:45:44 PM »
I like using those also at events and in Old West towns like Virginia City and Julian Ca.   Leave them as tips along with replica Civil War Currency.   I also use them for cheap flashy cuff links for "dress up" . . just super glue a couple of them on to cheapy cufflinks that I got in a thrift for 25 cents.  Don't have to worry about whether I've lost one or not as they are so cheap.

Never thought of giving them as tips at events. The Replica Civil War Currency is a thought too. I am not a cuff link kinda guy but I like that.
Bob "Nokose" Fixico

Offline Pay Dirt Norvelle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2012, 03:50:11 PM »
I just bought three indian head pennies on e-bay and they should be here soon.  I will be looking for some other coins soon and then try and find some reproduction paper money. 
PAY DIRT NORVELLE
SASS #90056
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
COYOTE VALLEY COWBOYS #37
RATS #650

Offline Wolfgang

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2012, 09:42:48 PM »
Never thought of giving them as tips at events. The Replica Civil War Currency is a thought too. I am not a cuff link kinda guy but I like that.

Sometimes I'm "dressed up" in a frock coat for movie scenes and the cheapy cuff links are handy.    Big and shiny for the camera and no worry about loosing one like with real gold ones.

Offline Nokose Fixico

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 06:22:51 AM »
Wolfgang, I hate to say this but I doubt I would ever make it onto film anywhere. Except my wife and children taking a picture of me dressed up and posting it somewhere.
Bob "Nokose" Fixico

Offline Two-Step

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2012, 02:29:33 PM »
I have a couple of old coins but for the most part, they stay put up in my "treasure" box. One of my favorite "treasures" is actually a mid to late 19th century marble that my son and wife bought me at a gun show. They wanted to get me the 19th century card set but it was way outside their budget...
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote. -Benjamin Franklin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com