Author Topic: Reline on my 1869 Springfield Trapdoor  (Read 1843 times)

Offline Marshal Deadwood

• SHOOTER FOR HIRE
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Reline on my 1869 Springfield Trapdoor
« on: January 02, 2012, 09:56:57 PM »
I think I am going to have Bobby Hoyt reline the barrel on my 1869 Springfield 50-70 trapdoor. While it's an antique gun, it's a shoot-able antique, and I'm wanting a new bore that will shoot the more standard .512 bullets of today.

If one were aiming to shoot in the neighborhood of 475 grain bullets,,,what would be the preferred twist for this weight bullet ?

Thanks folks

Deadwood

Offline StrawHat

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
Re: Reline on my 1869 Springfield Trapdoor
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 07:55:21 AM »
Originals had 1/42 twist and fired a 450 grain bullet.  Hoyt should be able to advise you on something for the heavier bullet.  The 1869 was a cadet rifle and may or may not have had a relined barrel.  The Arsenal used a seperate reciever and had started making new barrels during this Models era.  If the bore is in okay shape it should be a good shooter.

I have an 1866 and use bullets cast from Lee and Lyman molds with no problems.  Mine has the original barrel and that is all.  Everything else is not original and some may say unlikely but it is a good shooter.

There is a group buy for a hollow based bullet going on here,

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=116326

Options include multiple cavities and while more money than a Lee mold, a lot less than barrel work.
Knowledge is to be shared not hoarded.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com