Author Topic: Sacramento CA Brow People  (Read 7665 times)

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Sacramento CA Brow People
« on: January 01, 2012, 04:00:47 AM »
Hi,

I would like to open m home for a meeting of BROW people of the Greater Sacramento/Stockton/Lodi etc area.

I am so new to Buffalo rifles and shooting that I squeak ... I would love to have someone with loads of experience come by and give me pointers, as well as be a resource to all the local BROW people that have even less knowledge of me ....

For instance, I just checked my shell diameters verses the diameter of the exiting side (for lack of a better term).

I was told that a new Pedersoli Barrel is .460,and a .459 booliit would work just fine...

So I had Lyman 457125 bullets made up into cartridges ... the boolit diameters ran from .452 to .457.

The end of the barrell was  about .420 (As close as i could measure at 0100 New Years Day)

Would a .457 boolit tent to get stuck or lead badly shooing up a barrel that is .420 diameter at its exit end?

Help!!!

Like I said, I would really like some one to look at this, and I am sure there are enough people in my predicament to make for a lively meeting .....

Thank you for listening ...

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Sacramento CA Brow People
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 10:30:51 PM »
Rereading the original post, I think I made it sound too Draconian

What I foresaw was more of a gentleman's club where ideas about buffalo guns would be shared ... the kind of things one thinks about AFTER one leaves the range ....

Come on guys, talk to me!  I want this to happen .... it should be fun!

If you don't wish to write me in public, at least PM or email me at skip.baker@att.net

TTFN
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Offline Wagon Box Willy

• Top Active Citizen
    • My BPCR/CAS Site
  • SASS #: 89519
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 10:48:28 PM »
WWE,

Hmm, there's no way the bore at your muzzle end is .420 unless you have the wrong barrel on it as the bore is not tapered (not .460 on one end and .420 on the other).   Also, I think you misspoke regarding the barrel size.  You said "I was told that a new Pedersoli Barrel is .460,and a .459 booliit would work just fine..." when I believe you meant just the opposite. You want your bullet a bit larger than your groove diameter.

If you were to shoot .452-.457 bullets through your .459 barrel you would likely get a case of leading.

If you want to know what size your barrel really is you should slug it.  To do that you need lead slightly larger in diameter than your bore.  Many people use lead fishing sinkers.  I just recently used a .452 round ball that I smacked with a hammer to squash it a bit.  I then banged it onto the barrel from the muzzle end about 6" (use hammer and dowel) and then banged it out from the breach end with a long dowel.   Once you have the slug out you can measure across the high points with a mic or caliper which represent your grooves and get the groove diameter of your barrel.  From there it's recommended to add .001 or two to that measurement to come up with your bullet size.

My High Wall came out to .459.

I welcome smarter people then I to correct anything I've said but I think I've been accurate.

Unfortunately New Hampshire is almost as far away from Sacramento as you can get or I'd take you up on the offer and learn some stuff..

Willy

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:55:42 AM »

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 11:10:27 PM »
Willy,

I think that I am way off but am just learning to use the micrometer .... so I just put the pointy end into the end of the barrel and spread it as far as I could ... and it came to .430.

I think I am doing something very wrong but, as this thread so aptly shows, there are no BROW in Sacramento ... at least that want to meet or talk about it.

I used to be stationed in Portsmouth NH ... my first son was born at Portsmouth Naval Station in Kittery Maine ...

So if I ever get back there, the first Frappe is on me!

P.S. Used to go to Newicks about once a week ... in the old days before they 'Modernized and Improved' the restaurant .....

http://www.newicks.com/sitebuilder/images/dover1-600x450.png

NCOWS #3403

Offline john boy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 03:11:17 PM »
Tack a sign up at the surrounding clubs:

SWAP MEET - MY HOUSE ON X DATE
YOU SWAP YOUR BPCR KNOWLEDGE
I SUPPLY FREE BEER - LOBSTER AND STEAK
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR

Offline Wagon Box Willy

• Top Active Citizen
    • My BPCR/CAS Site
  • SASS #: 89519
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 07:26:47 PM »
Small world.  I'm actually not a lobster fan though my wife is.  been to the Newicks that used to be in Merrimack a few times but it's long been closed.

You will not get an accurate measurement buy trying to use the caliper on the bore itself.  What may also be an issue even if you slug it is whether or not it has an even or odd number of grooves.  If it's even then measurement is straight forward, just measure opposite high points on the slug which are formed by the groove.  If it's odd then there a bit more work which I won't explain unless you need it.

There are plenty of videos in Youtube demonstrating the process.

Willy

Offline john boy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 08:11:06 PM »
I think that I am way off but am just learning to use the micrometer .... so I just put the pointy end into the end of the barrel and spread it as far as I could ... and it came to .430.
Small correction -

Micrometers ...

Vernier Caliper ...
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 08:22:23 PM »
John Boy,

You are right again ... I am so new to it that I did not even use the right name!

NCOWS #3403

Offline Lumpy Grits

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 06:58:54 PM »
"Slug" the bbl. That will tell ya what size to use. Bet it's close to .458" dia. ;)
Also the "P" bbls I have pushed a slug threw had a bit of a choke(.001-.0015)starting a couple of inches from the muzzle.
Start with a .458 dia and let the target tell you what to do next.
LG
'Hav'n you along-Is like loose'n 2 good men'

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2012, 09:28:49 PM »
Hello the room,

I sent a PM to a friend but I think I had better explain here ....

A friend loaded up 50 rounds of .45-70 to use in the rifle ... loaded with 62 grains of Swiss (Don't remember whether it is F or 1.5 F).

Again using the Vernier Caliper just above the cartridge, I got readings from .420 to .458 .... dunno ... supposed to be all Lyman # 457125 bullets  .... don't know enough to know if I was measuring a lube 'valley, but I don't think so.

Anyway, the wind must have been 30 gusting to 40, knocking off hats and blowing lightweight wads  cleaning supplies all downwind ...

It was agreed that were I to get the gun sighted in, (which was highly improbable)., it would only be accurate under the same unruly, unnatural conditions .... and I was kindly offered the same kindnesses at the next meeting one month from then ... which I accepted ... 'cause it would get me time to find/make some shooting sticks, beg/borrow or purloin a shooting scope, etc.

NCOWS #3403

Offline Lumpy Grits

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 09:09:59 AM »
You do measure near the bullets base, correct??
Have someone else check'em that has used calipers before. Try a different set of calipers.
LG
'Hav'n you along-Is like loose'n 2 good men'

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2012, 01:30:23 PM »
Hi,

I seem to have led this subject WAY off topic ...

What I had in mind was offering my house for a once or twice a month BS session about BROW topics ... Kind of an off-the-range get together about Buffalo Guns ...

I live in East Sacramento, which might be a central place to meet in the greater Sacramento area ...

What do you think? (If you would rather respond quietly, you can PM me or my email address is on my profile ...

TTFN,

NCOWS #3403

Offline Modoc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Editor, Shasta Regulators State of Jefferson
    • Shasta Regulators
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 31
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2012, 11:31:11 AM »
WWW,

My door is open, but unfortunately, my pea brain doesn't get South to Sacadamentia very often.  You might try and contact Sutter Lawman (MD of Arroyo Cantua) or Old Curley.  They are both very into the BPCR and very knowledgable.  Personally, I know just enough to be dangerous  ;D
Modoc

"He Who Laughs Last, Thinks Fastest"
SUDDS, SCORRS, Retired Warthog, Sometime Gunfighter, and Soot Deliante

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2012, 12:31:11 AM »
Modoc,

Thank you for the thought ... I was surprised that anyone responded to this thread ...

But you are always welcome at my campfire (or spare bedroom). Just give me time to get the place up to inspection ... LOL

TTFN,

NCOWS #3403

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2012, 08:41:45 PM »
If the bore is .458, then a .459 should be right. Or a soft .458 so it'll bump up on firing. I'm using .459's in my Buff Classic ::)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Jack Wagon

• Top Active Citizen
  • the High Sierra
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2012, 11:00:02 AM »
Wadd,  I shoot a .459 bullet in my Pedersoli with good effect. I would be happy to donate some of my hand cast 405 gr., .459 diameter bullets to the cause of enlightenment. If you care to experiment with some, I'm sure I can get some to you. We just moved 20 miles east of Sac. If you can bring yourself to shoot smokeless, I have some AA5744 26gr. loads you could try as well. I use this load in vintage and modern 45-70's.  JW
Jack Wagon
Member NRA
Member #358 SSS

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2012, 11:40:55 AM »
Jack,

I am flattered by your offer ... sure I would love to try out some of your bullets ....

I have not even shot my buffalo gun yet ... have to learn to reload ... and am slowly buying up all the stuff to shoot ... I have a used press, .45-70 and .45 Scofield dies and an electronic scale and a drop tube ... bought a Thumbler's  Tumbler for cleaning up the brass ... so I think I have everything to reload ... going to pick up a primer loader soon ...

Still need to get some rest sticks, a pad and a spotter scope ... I figure to pick up a pair of sticks from October Country (http://www.octobercountry.com/products/OC-Shooting-Sticks-.html) and will scrounge an old canvas tarp for a pad  and borrow shooting scopes from other shooters until a used one becomes available .... then when I have found out more of what I want, I have some Lyptus sitting around that should make some good sticks ...

But I would enjoy getting toghether at a Starbucks ... there are several SASS members near here, and I think it would be both fun and enlightening to get together ... so I will send you all my stats in a PM ....

NCOWS #3403

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2012, 10:28:12 PM »
Hi Sacramento Area SASS.

So what do you say? How about meeting for cofee?

TTFN,

NCOWS #3403

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com