Author Topic: New Hand made personal items  (Read 6378 times)

Offline Tsalagidave

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 65
New Hand made personal items
« on: December 28, 2011, 05:57:50 PM »
Now that winter is here, I know that a lot of people go into craftsman mode and start making stuff. I attached a few things that I have done lately and I hope there are others here that will put some stuff up. I have done up a new flint wallet with tool pouch. I also have been making the 1857 Milward needle packages along with the 1860 Colt Navy ammunition packages.

The bullets are always fun to make.  Even though I have been at this for 20 years, I have still taken a lot of advice from the old timers as well as archived a lot of articles written by the other guys on the subject. From there, I looked over original examples and try to improve it every time I make these. The bullets are molded from an original Colt Conical mold and encased in a combustable paper envelope made from lightweight onionskin paper soaked in potassium nitrate.

Like I said, I am interested in seeing projects from the other guys here so don't be shy.

-Dave
Guns don't kill people; fathers with pretty daughters do.

Offline Wahkahchim

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: New Hand made personal items
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 01:29:01 AM »
Those are some world-class revolver cartridges. Isn't there a lag time between hammer fall and ignition, or does the percussion cap just blast right through the paper?

Offline Chaparosa

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 07:19:06 AM »
Superb work on the Colt's revolver cartridges and packaging. Thanks for showing.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:38:50 AM »

Offline Tsalagidave

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 10:58:33 AM »
Thanks for the kind words guys. The cap blasts through the paper and ignition is as instantaneous as with a metallic cartridge. The tapered base really makes the difference in seating them. I have discharged and reloaded in rapid succession without a hitch using these. I also never put a glob of grease in my tubes. Only a drop of oil as with the originals and I have never had a chain fire after firing thousands of rounds.

-Dave

Offline Oregon Bill

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 156
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 05:30:54 PM »
First class stuff again, Dave. Those cartridges really are nice, and the needle packages look they they just came from the dry goods store. What are you using to attach the paper to the bullet base?

Offline Tsalagidave

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 06:23:00 PM »
Thanks Bill, I use sodium silicate. I learned from shooters that it is the authentic way and that the cooked residue of modern glues will actually gum up your bore over time.

-Dave

Offline Wahkahchim

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 07:02:48 PM »
Dave, I'm serious about this: Would you ever consider creating a class for how to make combustible cartridges? With enough notice, I'd attend. Thanks.

Offline TwoWalks Baldridge

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 09:24:09 AM »
A couple tech questions Dave:

Where do you get your potassium nitrate?

Are you mixing your own sodium silicate and if so, what ratio of sodium hydroxide and Silica beads? or are you purchasing it already made?

twoWalks Baldridge
When guns are banned, fear the man with a hammer

Offline Tsalagidave

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 01:14:20 PM »
You are way ahead of me for making your own chemicals.  I just order them online from the science company or some other chemical retailer.  I treat the paper with the saltpeter first, let it dry and then glue it with the sodium silicate.

As far as classes go, I'd love to do something like that but I know there are lots of guys who have been doing it a lot longer than I have but there really isn't much to it. I can post a thread with pictures showing my method of making them. If we were to do a class, I live out in California. It would be a hoot to do something like rent out Hanks Hotel at Calico Ghost Town for a general workshop on guns and gear but I would not want to do that one alone.

Just a thought.

Dave

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 02:06:28 PM »
I wish you have the time to come to the NCOWS Convention in March and present a seminar.  But the distance from California to Sheppardstown Kentucky (Louisville) is a long way to come to put on a free seminar.  The convention is a good time for all who attend.

T-Joe
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Wahkahchim

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 12:24:14 AM »
Hmmmm...Dave...

We could do it here. If you do it with public access then it's part of the living history program. You could teach just about anything and we'd be grateful.

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=563

or I could drive down to here, if they'd give us permission:

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=585

Plus if a California group us got together we could plan a rendezvous here:

http://www.nps.gov/moja/index.htm

Thoughts?

Pete

Offline TwoWalks Baldridge

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2011, 08:16:13 AM »
You are way ahead of me for making your own chemicals.  I just order them online from the science company or some other chemical retailer.  I treat the paper with the saltpeter first, let it dry and then glue it with the sodium silicate.

Dave

Thanks Dave
When guns are banned, fear the man with a hammer

Offline Tsalagidave

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 02:06:04 PM »
This is a good idea.  I am swamped with life plans right now but doing a living history seminar that is sanctioned by the park services really appeals to me.  Sounds like you've looked into this before.  How would we make a small event like this happen?

-Dave
Hmmmm...Dave...

We could do it here. If you do it with public access then it's part of the living history program. You could teach just about anything and we'd be grateful.

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=563

or I could drive down to here, if they'd give us permission:

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=585

Plus if a California group us got together we could plan a rendezvous here:

http://www.nps.gov/moja/index.htm

Thoughts?

Pete

Offline kurt250

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 04:52:08 AM »
tsalagidave, your cartridges look good, i have never used onionskin paper. i use medium grade slikspan. it a material that is used to cover model aircraft. it take the saltpeter very well and folds easy for making cartridges. i use medium for pistols and heavy grade for sharps paper cartridges. it also drys fast. kurt250

Offline Tsalagidave

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2012, 11:53:52 PM »
Thanks for the idea Kurt. My archives are full of posted discussions, my own trial/error notes and tips from friends like you.  I think everyone should read all the posts here on the CAS forums and other sites about making your own combustible cartridges and then experiment until they find the right combination.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com