Author Topic: barrel liner  (Read 3020 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
barrel liner
« on: December 23, 2011, 04:24:36 PM »
The only .510 barrel liner I was able to find has a groove diameter of .532. I want to reline the barrel of my .54 ERMA Gallagher carbine so I can shoot 350 gr .512s that I use in my 50-70s.
They socket into the Gallagher brass cases just fine as do unsized .515s from the mould. I can hand lube these.

Question: Will bullets cast from 100% lead obturate sufficiently in a barrel of those dimensions?
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
Re: barrel liner
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 01:09:01 AM »
That's a pretty big jump from .515" to .532".  You might try a hollow-based bullet and see if that works decently. Otherwise, I'd try to find a mould that would cast a larger bullet, provided the round would chamber. Alternatively, you might need to use a heel bullet.

Merry Christmas, Pard!
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline 5judge

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2011, 01:20:20 PM »
Robert Hoyt of Fairfield, Pennsylvania, routinely relines Gallagers and is a shop of choice for North-South Skirmishers. He's done several jobs for me and presently has a .56-56 Spencer of mine in for this work. You can Goolgle him.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:04:33 PM »

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2011, 07:06:18 PM »
That's a pretty big jump from .515" to .532".  You might try a hollow-based bullet and see if that works decently. Otherwise, I'd try to find a mould that would cast a larger bullet, provided the round would chamber. Alternatively, you might need to use a heel bullet.

Merry Christmas, Pard!

PJ;  Lyman used to have a minie bullet mould for the .54" muzzleloader, that comes close to .53x".  I have one that I never use so PM me if the desired liner proves a myth.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: .510 barrel liner
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 03:32:22 PM »
My .510 barrel liner arrived - Wow! Very impressive.

I tapped a sized/lubed .512 bullet (same as for my .50 Shilohs) into it for a few inches and miked it. It is truly .510 and the rifling engraved nicely. No way is the groove diameter .532 as it says on the spec sheet. It appears to be identical to the shallow rifling in my .50 Shiloh barrels. Didn't think to check the twist, but that is easily done.

Never did find a .54 bullet (I tried several) that fit the cases other than the Sharps Xmas Tree design which shot well, but was HUGE for the gun, and RB isn't the same.

Looks like my goal of a .50 Gallagher carbine is  nearing fruition .... ;>)
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com