Author Topic: . . . Nipple removal . . . .  (Read 15105 times)

Offline Wolfgang

• Top Active Citizen
    • The Desperate Hot Springs News
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
. . . Nipple removal . . . .
« on: December 22, 2011, 04:27:05 AM »
Trying to get the nipples out so as to replace them with Tresto nipples.   These cylinders all bought used and I can't budge any of the nipples.  Have soaked for days with WD-40 . . then with Liquid Wrench.  Made a new nipple wrench out of a socket. 

Anyone got any "tricks" to nipple removal to pass along ? ? ? . . . . . .

I wonder if I will have to drill them out and then re tap the holes ? . . .

Maybe drill them and try to put a tiny "easy-out" into them ? . . .
Beware the man with one gun, he probably knows how to use it.

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
Re: . . . Nipple removal . . . .
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 07:43:56 AM »
Wolfgang try setting the cylinder on a flat hard surface and tap the nipple using a flat punch and a small hammer. This should break them loose.  If yer careful ya can also tap them from the other end ya just got ta be careful. WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • "Centaures will make you become addicted"
    • Belgian Colt, aka Centaure, aka Centennial Army, aka "1960 NEW MODEL ARMY"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 08:40:15 AM »
Wolfgang: check out www.1960nma.org and click on the GUNSMITHING page.
Scroll down to the chapter on the removal of non-cooperative nipples. That's how the Centaure Doc Rifle does it when everything else fails. Works for me.
Long Johns Wolf
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:22:54 AM »

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 08:53:54 AM »
BP blaster works better than WD-40 or Liquid wrench.

ATF and acetone (50/50) works even better than BP Blaster but you need to do it in a sealed glass or metal container or the acetone will evaporate on you in short order.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 10:30:01 AM »
The method shown in Long Johns Wolf is good.  But, whatever method you use the biggest problem is the nipple wrench.  I have never seen a T Handle nipple wrench that is made out of good material.  All I have seen are soft metal and junk.  Before you try to get out the nipples, make sure you get a GOOD nipple wrench.  I have made them out of grade 8 bolts and modified Craftsman sockets to make good wrenches.  As far as I know, the only decent commercial wrench is the Ted Cash.  It's the top one on this list.

http://www.possibleshop.com/s-s-nipple-wrench.html

Modified 3/16 socket.

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 01:48:42 AM »
Plus what Pettifogger says however I removed a couple of very uncooperative nipples by my "poor cowboy" modified Rifle method using cheap and worn out Italian wrenches.
Long Johns Wolf
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Offline Wolfgang

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 04:03:12 AM »
Thanks to all of you for the replies.

I already modified a socket to make a better nipple wrench.   I had not thought of tapping with a punch / drift.   Too much going on right now to get on with it.   Will continue with gun smith projects sometime next week. 

Merry Christmas to all  :)

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 10:51:24 AM »
Awhile back there was a thread on this topic, but I don't see it popping up for me.  The answer for the toughest of cases might be KROIL;

I found this on TOR;

http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index.php?topic=5439.0;highlight=kroil

Whoops;  The thunder-ridge website link is a bust!

NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2011, 04:58:14 PM »
Wolfgang,

(From a history of working on old, finicky cars) ...

I would do everything noted ... Kroil, punch with tap, Kroil, wait 24 hours, Kroil, punch with tap Kroil,ad nauseum until it comes out ... it might be that the previous tapping (sp?) created a channel for the Kroil to get further in the threads ...

It would take but perhaps 15 minutes every attempt, and it would probably start breaking loose after the 3rd or 4th attempt ...
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2011, 10:12:07 PM »
Wolfgang - what did you use to modify the socket.  I think I need to make one.  Would be so easy if I had a Bridgeport.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline roots911

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2011, 01:59:07 PM »
A  trick I have used is to take the tee handle off of the tool and chuck it tightly in a drill press. Place the cylinder on a piece of wood on the press deck and lower the tool onto the nipple. Place a good amount of pressure on the drill press lowering arm and lock the arbor in the down position. I then wraped the cyinder with a heavy piece of leather and held it with a set of channel locks. Turned the drill press chuck by hand and in some cases used an another set of chanel locks to turn the tool. Removed six nipples that had never been off of an 1851 that was made in 1978. It was a last ditch effort to save the cylinder nof a recently acquired neglected Pietta.

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2011, 05:15:28 PM »
Look into the link Long Johns Wolf posted.  His gunsmith uses a hardwood base with two hardwood pegs fitted.  Place the offending cylinder over the two pegs to keep it from rotating while using the press or C-Clamp to hold down the nipple wrench.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2011, 04:23:56 AM »
cpt dan blodgett & WaddWatsonEllis, sorry, where you addressing me? Name is Wolf, not Wolfgang.
As Sir Charles explains go to the website.
Long Johns Wolf

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2011, 09:10:09 AM »
No, was actually addressing Wolfgang, who started the topic.  He talked of modifying a socket to use as a nipple wrench, better steel etc.

Your post however, is also very instructive as to the mechanics of removing the nipples.
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2011, 10:52:40 AM »
Yo Tambien ... What Capt Dan said ...

Merry Christmas Everyone!
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2011, 10:52:50 AM »
Good ideas everyone, have used some of them in the past, but am glad to report I've never had a 'really' stuck nipple. Just lucky I quess. I always put a dab of high temp silicone grease or anti-sieze material on the threads when I reinstall the nipples. Maybe I'm fortunate because I always remove and clean the nipples everytime I clean the gun. It's a pain, but quess clean nipples equals easy removal. It's easier to clean the residue from the area of the cylinder the nipples reside also without having them in the way.

Pettifogger-Your nipple wrench made from the socket is a good one. From your picture it looks like its made from a 3/8" drive socket, but due to the size of the nipples I would assume a 1/4" drive socket would be the one to use. Or did you turn the sides of a 3/8" socket?

Long Johns Wolf-As long as your posting on this thread, gonna take the opportunity to tell ya how I enjoy and appreciate your FROCS website. Have gotten alot of information off of it. I don't own any Belgium Colts, but quess ya don't have to own one to appreciate em'. Courious too, how hard or what steps do you have to take in Germany to buy and own cap and ball revolvers and buy and posess black powder and percussion caps. Just wondering, so far here in the USA no problem except with the limitations on how much black powder you can legally store in your home. Even that isn't something that is checked on, except if your a FFL dealer selling it. Just as a side note, my Grandfather came over to the US at age 13 in 1897 from Stettin, Germany and my Grandmother came in 1909 at age 21 from Kassel, Germany (both my Dad's parents). If your familiar with these towns, I'll send ya a PM, maybe you may know some of my German relatives-who knows, maybe were related.

Merry Christmas to all!!!
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2011, 01:38:16 PM »
Crow Choker & the campfire: Yes, I know both Stettin (which is Poland now) have been there as a tourist once a couple of years back, and Kassel which is some 120 miles North of my place.
Regarding owning a gun in Germany you have to have a license to possess it. Even for a C&B pistol which legally is a gun by German law. Likewise to purchase and own any reloading powder you have to have ... you guessed it ... a license in Germany but caps, primers or bullets are "free".
Thanks for your kind words regarding the FROCS website.
Long Johns Wolf

Offline Wolfgang

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2011, 12:01:47 AM »
Much Thanks for all replies.  Too busy with Christmas to do any pistol smithing right now.  Will get some time later in the week and let you know how I progress. 

Happy New Year. . . .  :)

Offline Wolfgang

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2011, 07:04:33 PM »
Success is happening . . . gradually . . . . don't have croil oil . . . but tapping and continuing to soak with liquid wrench is producing results.  5 of the nipples out of one of the cylinders and one or two out of each of the others presently.  Several times a day I go over to the shop to tap, soak, if one of them moves when tapped I tap some more and then use the modified socket wrench to remove it.

Good shootin' . . . . ( cap & ball black powder of course ) ....  :)

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2011, 11:43:09 PM »
Glad you are having some degree of success.
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com