Author Topic: Which style tumbler is best?  (Read 2722 times)

Offline Tangle Eye

• Top Active Citizen
    • Tangle Eye
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Which style tumbler is best?
« on: August 21, 2005, 10:23:55 PM »
I'm going to need to replace my tumbler before the year is out I think.  I'm looking at a Thumler rotary tumbler or just replacing my big Lyman vibrating tumbler with another like it.  I'f anybody's used one - what's your experience with the Thumler and which type do you think is best for both pistol and large (.45-70) rifle cases?
Warthog, SBSS #506, Sons of Confederate Veterans Camp #219, NRA Life

The Arapaho Kid

Re: Which style tumbler is best?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 02:18:45 AM »
Tumblers?  I prefer the ones that hold the most beer.  Oh!  Sorry about that!  You were talking bullet tumblers.

Offline Wes Virginian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 07:53:46 PM »
I use the Dillon vibrating brass cleaner myself. I've had it for about 15 years and still works great! I clean anything from .380's to .45-70's in it. Just turn it on and let it go for 2 or 3 hours, brass comes out looking almost like new...except for the brass I shoot BP in and don't drop in water for a long time beforehand.

Wes
Texican Rangers, Co. A, Kanawha Valley Regulators, NRA Life-Endowment, SASS Life 40471, NCOWS 2037, GAF, USN '60/'63.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:28:20 PM »

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 114
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2005, 12:25:37 PM »
What's wrong with your Lyman?
I have a RCBS vibrating one that I got used. The motor died on it. I called RCBS and they told me to ship it to them. They put a new motor on it for free and shipped it back for free. All I paid was the shipping to CA. Also they replaced the cover 'cuz there was a crack in it.  ;D

Slim (whats very happy with RCBS service)
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Tangle Eye

• Top Active Citizen
    • Tangle Eye
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2005, 02:05:03 PM »
Just gettin louder and louder.  Sounds like its gonna fly apart eventually.  :o

I'm gonna take a look at it and maybe send it to Lyman if I think there's actually something wrong with it. I didin't know they would do that - never even thought about it.

I'm gonna get one of those drum tumbler's to for when I feel the need to really clean something up with ceramic media.  Seems like that might be a good idea for really cleaning the inside of longer rifle brass, etc.
Warthog, SBSS #506, Sons of Confederate Veterans Camp #219, NRA Life

Offline Book Miser

• Very Active Citizen
  • Hotheaded Polack
    • Jefferson Outlaws website
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2005, 03:27:00 PM »
The drum types may be a mite quieter. Then, there's the drawback that you have that moving part out in the open. I'm sure one of my dogs would get its ear caught in the thing, being curious.

I got a first-hand look at some Thumler stuff in a rock shop down in MS. It looks very well-made.

Also, it seems to me that you have to use water (or some other liquid) with a tumbler. Check Thumler's website; it's pretty comprehensive.
Bugler & webmaster for the Jefferson Outlaws
SASS customer # 54876, ROII
PWDFR #119
POOP
...tell it to the chaplain

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com