Author Topic: Kelly Sights  (Read 4371 times)

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Kelly Sights
« on: November 16, 2011, 05:11:40 PM »
Good bad or indifferent?

Other than looks how do they compare to MVA and Baldwin?
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline sharps4065

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Kelly Sights
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 02:22:02 PM »
Good bad or indifferent?

Other than looks how do they compare to MVA and Baldwin?

Certainly as good, Dave Gullo uses them......... Need I say more?

You should also consider Lee Shaver's sights, have them on all of my Sharps and they have served me well in 2 Long Range World Championships,

Hold centre
Clive

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 06:04:19 PM »
Thanks, kinda sounds like I can spend anywhere from $485 for Lee Shaver Front and Rear up to $850 for MVA front rear and magunum hadley $20 less for the standard hadley eye piece.

Mostly like sticking a porsche engine in a VW bug given the Armi Sport rifle I need them for.

One day a C sharps or Schilo
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:58:48 PM »

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 06:05:12 PM »
Lee Shaver make a line of "budget priced" Soule sights, too.  Around half the price of his top drawer ones, but still MUCH better than the Pedersoli versions.  I believe he takes the P-soli sights and changes internal parts to make them sturdier and more "repeatable." 

The one I have, a mid-range Soule with his Hadley-style cup (cost extra), has served me well for 7 or 8 yrs.  VERY nice and they match well to MY Taylor's Armi Sport Sharps replica, in 45-70.

Are they top shelf?  Probably not, but they have been used quite successfully in championship matches.  And they don't break most wallets, either.  My rifle (- for all my issues finding a BP load for ME,) still shoots waaaay better than me.

;)

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Wagon Box Willy

• Top Active Citizen
    • My BPCR/CAS Site
  • SASS #: 89519
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 08:44:19 AM »
I just installed the super grade sight from Lee and I'm happy with it...but what do I know, I'm new at this. :D

The budget sight with Hadley eye cup will run you $300 and the Super Grade which includes the Hadley eye cup is $385 which was not enough of a price difference to make me think about the budget sight.  I also got his bigger, $100 PH front sight which I'm happy with.

Willy

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 01:13:33 PM »
I guess I got mine at the right time. (10 yrs. ago or so)

The mid-range Soule was less than $250 and the Hadley cup was less than $65.  At the time, Lee only sold one quality level.  I do like the sight; it's a quality, precision instrument and I appreciate well-made & well-designed tools.

Those Kelly sights sure look good!  I'm not sure how many old sights from "back in the day" had the brass/bronze accents, but it has a great look.  It would go well with one of those brass & steel Malcolm type scopes.  Not that BOTH are needed at the same time, mind you!

:D   ::) ::)
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 10:38:28 AM »
Ya, my only real question is the rifle up to the cost of the high end sights.  I really do want something built in my home state (m,ontana) eventually so...

The high dollar Lee Shaver sounds like it works as well for 50 - 60% of cost of Kelley or MVA.  Just how much style points are worth is an open question.

From another thread I now know the theory behind the factory ladder sight thanks to Ranch 13
Sight laid down 100 yards
Ladder up, slide all the way up, u and V at bottome 200 yards
Slide all the way down 300
other ranges as indicated.

Zero left and right with a hammer (light taps and brass drift)
If too low at 100 file sight down.  If too high get taller blade.
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com