Author Topic: Henry Big Boy Rifles  (Read 24649 times)

Offline Sam Cobra

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Henry Big Boy Rifles
« on: October 25, 2011, 08:44:27 AM »
I was at a small local gun shop last week and was looking at the Henry rifles.  As I am new to CAS I thought I would get opinions on these rifles.  I was looking at the Henry Big Boy in .357.  I used to deer hunt with a Marlin 30-30 lever action but that was the only lever action I have owned.  Thanks!

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: Henry Big Boy Rifles
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 08:54:41 AM »
Two friends and I have a Henry Big Boy in .357 and one in .45 and really like them.  They are slick right out of the box and the .357 will shoot both .38 and .357 interchangeably.  All three of us use them for CAS.  Now, having said that, you will find several people on here who will bad mouth the Henry Big Boy simply because it isn't a replica of any old west rifle, and that to call it a Henry is a misnomer.  I like it, as it has good heft and feel and is acurate as all get out.
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • know matter where you go, there you are
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 10:41:46 AM »
Just say no to HBB. It's not because they are not a replica of anything, it's because they are not well suited for this game. I have seen and tried to shoot several through the years, rarely does one make it through an entire stage before they jamb. No bad mouth just the facts. The best rifles for this game are the Ubert 1873/1866, then the Mariln 1984, and then the Win (Rossi) 1892. Any rifle other than those three are just not very well suited for CAS, some maybe for hunting, but not for CAS. The best advice for any new shooter is to start going to as many local matches as you can find. Introduce yourself, call the MD, most of us are more than willing to let you try out our gear. Before you spend one dime on this game STOP!! and go try before you buy. Good Luck :)

Jefro ;D Relax-Enjoy

ps; here at CAS City they have one of the best "search" features around. Do a little searching through the forums for alota great info.
sass # 69420....JEDI GF #104.....NC Soot Lord....CFDA#1362
44-40 takes a back seat to no other caliber

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:37:49 PM »

Offline August

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 11:40:41 AM »
The Henry's are seriously limited for the game of CAS.

Every person we've ever seen who brought one to a match, didn't make it through without stoppages.  There are no CAS 'smiths working on them either.

When people show up with a Big Boy, everyone dutifully admires the pretty brass and smiles at the new shooter.  We welcome those guys like everybody else.

If they come to another match, they always have a Marlin or Uberti on their cart.  We see the shooters more than once, but we NEVER see the Henrys more than once.

Speaking pragmatically (i.e. from several episodes of experience), the gun don't work for CAS.

Offline Dirty Danny

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 03:50:14 PM »
I have only shot three matches of CAS  I did it with a Henry because I didn't know I could not.  My third match was a clean one.
The first one five of the six stages clean.   I could not finish the sixth the gun did fine.  The second match missed two times out of five stages.  That Henry does pretty good out of the box.

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 07:44:19 PM »
I've shot SASS since 1997. I've shot all kinds of lever actions including some vintage guns.
Every HBB shooter I've know either got rid of it or tried to.
Go to a few matches and you'll run into people wanting to sell either a Marlin or '73 clone.
If you gave me a HBB I'd get rid of it.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 08:00:46 PM »
For every one person who likes the HBB for CAS, there are at least ten that don't.  The mechanism simply isn't suited to fast, reliable shooting.  Partially depends on what you are going to do in CAS.  If you are just going to be an occasional shooter, it might serve your purposes.  If you intend to become competitive skip the HBB and the Winchester 94.

Offline Sam Cobra

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 08:59:50 PM »
Thanks for the replies folks!  I think I will keep looking...I do like the looks of the Marlins though  ;)

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 09:37:58 PM »
I was at a small local gun shop last week and was looking at the Henry rifles.  As I am new to CAS I thought I would get opinions on these rifles.  I was looking at the Henry Big Boy in .357.  I used to deer hunt with a Marlin 30-30 lever action but that was the only lever action I have owned.  Thanks!

I told you they would they would bad mouth the Henry Big Boy.  Right on Schedule. :D
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 10:46:00 PM »
I told you they would they would bad mouth the Henry Big Boy.  Right on Schedule. :D

That's about like someone on a NASCAR site saying the Yugo was the finest car they ever owned.  But, just wait someone will criticize it.  ;)

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 427
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, 06:16:53 AM »

lets put this in perspective .... :)

It's NOT a bad gun, American made ?  check , nicely made, ok ! also check, Company stands behinds it products, I believe this to be also true so check.
Great little 22's 'So what's the problem ?

Well, as mentioned the Big Boy has a action that does not lend it to speed cycling in to action.
NASCAR ?...you would not compete in your wife's Impala VS say Jimmy Johnson Hendrick version.  ;D

Where the rub comes for many ( myself included ) is Henry Repeating Arms Co. continued & errant claim to Tyler B. Henry
Legecy and the famed Henry Rifle & improved Henry.

They have the name only ( and only because the name had passed into the public domain )
Add that to the fact ( I'm going to get an arguement here  ::) )
They HRA Co. was advertizing * they were SASS legal , well before the TG's ever voted .... meaning IMHO HRA Co. knew the outcome before the TG's ever voted..  Hmmmmmm ! payola  ! (* including the Cowboy Cronical)
The gun is not a copy of or continuation of ANYTHING remotely 19th Century....

The Henry Big Boy is no Yugo  ;)  it's not a race gun either ... just a nice little shooter for the average Joe

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Pit Mule

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, 10:00:07 AM »
Yup, what Jefro said!
fortdesmoinesrangers.com

Fort Des Moines Rangers
Cedar Valley Vigilantes
Zen Shootists
Nebraska Territorial Rangers
Member: The Naughty Posse
SASS #29220 ( Classic Cowboy )
NRA Life
SASS ROII
NRA RSO
Don't underestimate me. I know more than I say, think more than I speak, & notice more than you realize.

Offline Evelyn Canarvon

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2011, 04:10:58 PM »
Got one but do not use it for CAS.  Nothing wrong but as most said, the hot setup is run the 73 clone if your looking to be really competative.

That being said, I like the side ejection of the HBB or Marlin.  However, be careful on the 1894 Marlins, the latest ones since Remington took over have been horrible in fit and finish and rough as nails.

If price is an object a used 73 or a 92 with looking later to slick it up is good.

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 06:05:49 AM »
lets put this in perspective .... :)

It's NOT a bad gun, American made ?  check , nicely made, ok ! also check, Company stands behinds it products, I believe this to be also true so check.
Great little 22's 'So what's the problem ?

Well, as mentioned the Big Boy has a action that does not lend it to speed cycling in to action.
NASCAR ?...you would not compete in your wife's Impala VS say Jimmy Johnson Hendrick version.  ;D

Where the rub comes for many ( myself included ) is Henry Repeating Arms Co. continued & errant claim to Tyler B. Henry
Legecy and the famed Henry Rifle & improved Henry.

They have the name only ( and only because the name had passed into the public domain )
Add that to the fact ( I'm going to get an arguement here  ::) )
They HRA Co. was advertizing * they were SASS legal , well before the TG's ever voted .... meaning IMHO HRA Co. knew the outcome before the TG's ever voted..  Hmmmmmm ! payola  ! (* including the Cowboy Cronical)
The gun is not a copy of or continuation of ANYTHING remotely 19th Century....

The Henry Big Boy is no Yugo  ;)  it's not a race gun either ... just a nice little shooter for the average Joe

I dont want to nit pic here, but you are referring to the Golden Boy when you talk about 22s.  The Big Boy which is the rifle in question is not the 22 version.  Everything else you stated I most certainly agree with.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2011, 02:37:19 PM »
Don

guess I was not clear ...
"Great little 22's 'So what's the problem"

THEY make great little 22 is what the problem"....  with the Big Boy !

I omited Big Boy thinking it was understood, thats what we were talking about  :-\
and we were talking main match long guns...sorry for any confusion

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2011, 05:39:33 AM »
Don

guess I was not clear ...
"Great little 22's 'So what's the problem"

THEY make great little 22 is what the problem"....  with the Big Boy !

I omited Big Boy thinking it was understood, thats what we were talking about  :-\
and we were talking main match long guns...sorry for any confusion

Gotcha!   ;D  I have actually heard much better reports on the Golden Boy than the Big Boy and if I was in the market for a plinker I would certainly put that at the top of my list.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2011, 06:05:19 AM »
One thing I find interesting....

The Henry Repeating Arms Co. advertizes on Television  :o
I've cought their 30 min. infomerchal on Discovery, and Spike  in early hours a few times ,
and a 1 min. spot as well in prime time.

Course they push the Tyler B. Henry non-connection a bit  ::) , and they do push the USA made....
Aside from seeing a Uberti spot once, I can't recall any other Arms companies ... cracking the
Liberial arena on the boob tube.  :-\

Offline Takoda Ray

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2011, 02:14:05 AM »
Gotcha!   ;D  I have actually heard much better reports on the Golden Boy than the Big Boy and if I was in the market for a plinker I would certainly put that at the top of my list.

I have a friend that bought a Golden Boy just recently.That bullet launcher sure is smooth and accurate.My wife wants one now after shooting his.If I didn't already have an old Marlin 39A,I would buy a Golden Boy myself.

Offline Mossy Pops

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2011, 12:48:49 PM »
I have an Uberti 66 and a 73 as well as the Henry Big Boy in 45 Colt.  The HBB was what I started with in CAS because the price was about 300 less than the Uberti's.  The problem with the HBB in competition comes from the interlock of the firing pin.  The lever has to be fully closed or the hammer will drop and the firing pin won't hit the primer.  When cycling pretty fast on a stage, its easy to not get the lever fully closed.  As far as accuarcy and build quality, the HBB is as good as the Uberti's.

The other draw back to the HBB is that you can't short stroke them like you can the toggle link actions of the Uberti's.  I kind of equate short stroke kits with gamers though.

The argument about the HBB not being authentic is kind of weak in my mind also.  The Ruger's are pretty popular handguns, but they sure aren't authentic old west guns.

My advice would be to buy the Uberti's for CAS if you can afford it, but if you get the HBB, just tell any shooting snobs to piss off if they don't like your gun and can't keep from telling you so.

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2011, 04:57:31 PM »
I bought my wife a Henry Golden Boy for our 40th wedding anniversary last year. She likes it, a lot. WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com