Author Topic: New guy here. A few questions???  (Read 5806 times)

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New guy here. A few questions???
« on: October 17, 2011, 12:47:08 PM »
Hi, I just became interested in the SASS recently. I rediscovered the lever action rifle a few months back and started aquiring them. And I've always had a slew of SAA in 45LC so I figured I'd find somewhere to "exercise" them......

So, a few questions...........

#1 Is the CAS a different organization from the SASS?
#2 Is the NCOWS similar to the SASS but a lot more pretentious on dress and firearms?
#3 Does anyone use 20g in the shotgun area?
#4 Would a Savage 311 in 20ga be "legal"?
#5 I joined the SASS online a week or so ago and I've not heard anything. I still can't post over there on the forum until someone approves it.
#6 I've tried to contact a few gun clubs up here in New England but many of the email address that are listed on the SASS web site are old or not in service. Is there a more updated list somewhere.
#7 Are there any "Must Read" book on the subject?  I've read everything I could find on this site and the SASS site. Nice work BTW!

Thanks in advance..........
Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Offline Old Top

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: New guy here. A few questions???
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 02:01:09 PM »
Rbertalotto,

Good to have you on board as a new shooter, I will try to answer your questions, but I am sure that there are more knowledgeable people out there.
1.  CAS is the Cowboy Action Shooting which is the Overview of the different areas such as SASS, NCOWS, GAF, Mounted Shooting, ect.
2.  NCOWS has more stringent rules on dress and less on weapons and is more geared to the historical side of this game then SASS.
3.  I am sure that people use a 20g but I have not seen them, I have seen 16g.  Most use 12g
4.  A Savage looks to be of the same double barrel as I see with the shooters who use doubles.  I beleive it would work but you cannot have the big recoil pad or you will have to cover it. 
5.  SASS takes a while to get back to you but if you have not heard from them I would give them a call.
6.  Cannot answer anything on that as I am on the other side from there.
7.  Go to Captain Baylors web site and he has a good walk through on the weapons, rules and getting started in this sport.

I hope this helps you or at least answers some of your questions.

Old Top
I only shoot to support my reloading habit.

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 02:05:04 PM »
First of all WELCOME to the Wagon Train ;D If ya need leather visit the leather forum and see all the handmade leather guys,maybe some in your area too.

1-Basicly the same but better
2-NCOWS is the bomb!Much better more fun
3-don't know
4-don't know enough
5-Don't bother stay here,over there like the government,over here like AMERICA!
6-I rest my case
7-your at the right place,well run website all the help ya need is here,just do what your doin.

Belly up to the stove and grab them checkers..BYOST (bring your own spit tune) ;D

Bunch a ole scudders!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:21:50 AM »

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 02:09:49 PM »
What he said. Yes 20 ga is fine, also works fine, my wife and I both have 20 ga coach guns. I tried posting on that forum a couple of times and gave up. The SASS website does have a list of the rules. If you browse thru them ya can get a pretty good idea of the rules. I will try to pm you and attach a list of shoots in the NE. WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 02:18:06 PM »
Sent ya an email "NE Shoots". WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 03:07:07 PM »
Thanks!
Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 03:46:32 PM »
No prob. WM

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 05:21:58 PM »
Go to a local shoot and they can answer most of your questions.
BTW, very many local shoots aren't as 'tight' on the SASS rules as bigger shoots BUT
they will advise you on what's legal.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 06:52:18 PM »
Going to my first shoot this Saturday on Cape Cod.
Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 08:10:03 PM »
Welcome to our campfire, Pard!

"CAS" stands for "Cowboy Action Shooting[tm]" which is a registered trademark of the Single Action Shooting Society, although it gets used generically without the trademark attribution I put in the brackets, above.  As long as you aren't trying to make money on it, you don't have to worry too much about using the term or the abbreviation. (In my book, "Trailrider's Guide to Cowboy Action Shooting[tm]", I had to use the trademark, with permission.  (I'm not trying to sell the book to you. A LOT of changes have been made since I wrote it.  There are still some good points about equipment, costumes, etc., but the rules have changed, as have the classifications. Wouldn't want to confuse you too much.

Savage 311 in any gauge larger than .410 is fine so long as the shotgun doesn't have automatic ejectors (extractors are okay...the difference being ejectors throw the shells clear of the gun, whereas extractors just move the shells back far enough for your fingernails to get ahold of the rims).

SASS Headquarters will get back to you eventually.  They had a real shock recently, when Coyote Calhoun died suddenly in the office, and I imagine they are picking up the pieces.

Have fun at the shoot!
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 427
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 10:26:36 AM »
I'm going to chime in on this one and shed some light ...
 your question was..

"#2 Is the NCOWS similar to the SASS but a lot more pretentious on dress and firearms? "
And one answer was ...

2. " NCOWS has more stringent rules on dress and less on weapons and is more geared to the historical side of this game then SASS. "

NCOWS
Is geared more toward the historical, however Stringent rules is a bit of an overstatement.
We have levels... Basic level one thru Original   (Level 1 2 3 & original)
We don't offer Silver Screen Hero aka B Western or 1916 Wild Bunch.
We don't allow Buscadaro Rigs, shotgun shell slides or Tennie Lamas.
Many in SASS wardrobe would be quite at home in NCOWS levels one and two....
beside you have up 1 year to work toward NCOWs Level 1 and you are not pressured to go beyond that level if you so close.
Originals Class is for those wishing to attain a very high level in Autheinticity.

"...Less ( stringent) on Weapons ? "

Well ,I'm not sure what Old Top is refuring to...

If anything, I'd say we have Rules pertaing to Approved & dis approved Firearms.
The lists are on the NCOWS website...Guns on the NCOWS disapproved list are legal in SASS.
We also do not allow short strokes, or Alum. carriers.
We do allow some pre 1898 Double Actions. But Brass Frame Colt Navies in Cal. 44 or Brass frame Remingtons NMA
are not allowed.
Ruger's OLD Army & Bisley are not approved.
Birdhead grip Mod P's are not approved..
I have to say , since these are OK with SASS, then NCOWS is more stringent in approving firearms.

I'll also mention NCOWS offers, 2 Gun ,3 Gun and 4 Gun classes ... not just 4 Guns as SASS does.
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 10:43:15 AM »
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Old Top

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2011, 12:51:49 PM »
Major 2,

Good to hear from you, my post was generalazation on NCOWS and you have cleared that up better then I could.  My comment was that NCOWS allows a much broader choice of fire arms ie double action then is normal in SASS I also forgot to include the part on no short strokes.  I like the approch that NCOWS takes and wish there was a club closer to where I live.

Old Top
I only shoot to support my reloading habit.

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2011, 01:21:45 PM »
GCR, put some CAWFEE (or somethin) in that cup for the man. WM

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 427
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2011, 03:11:57 PM »
OT , you too Sir...

Unfortunately for rbertalotto, the closest NCOWS posse'  to him is in Kentucky ( I believe )
So he'll have SASS events in NE.

We had that issue here in Florida ... took some work to build a  posse' but the end result was worth the trip...

when planets align...do the deal !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com