Author Topic: i am admittedly ignorant, so i ask this question regarding the 30-30 WCF  (Read 2962 times)

Offline Ghostface Charlie

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hello,
Being relatively new at this, and not having a huge knowledge of various rifle and pistol calibers, can anyone tell me why the 30-30 WCF cartridge is not a main match acceptable round? My uncle left me a beautiful 1942 Winchester 1894 in 30-30 caliber when I was nine years old. I'm now 54. I've used it for hunting and target shooting for years, and have kept it well. Aside from sentimental value, it's my all time favorite gun. In fact I'm looking at it now, and plan to use it for distance CAS target shooting. Again, i admit my ignorance of actual Old West calibers, but it seems that the 30-30 WCF is an historically correct size for a "Cowboy" rifle. I'm missing something here, could someone please tell me the facts?

Much thanks,

Charlie

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: i am admittedly ignorant, so i ask this question regarding the 30-30 WCF
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 08:09:49 PM »
Main matches are restricted to pistol caliber rifles. You're shooting at a steel target at, usually, under 20 yards sometimes less. That close, a rifle caliber is just to much. Now many local clubs have 'High Power/Long Range Rifle' sidfe matches and may well allow you to use the .30-30 there. I
\f your club doesn't have High Power/Long Range Rifle side matches then just start set one up yourself. If your club allows it you could even have a .30-30 Match. A lot of big matches, like Wild Bunch, started out as a side match at some local club.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Ghostface Charlie

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 02:20:10 PM »
THANK YOU SIR,

I'm now no longer ignorant of this issue. Pistol caliber it is...making mucho sense!

Advertising

Offline Pancho Peacemaker

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 04:10:26 PM »
The historic answers:

The "golden age" of the old west is the 1870's and 1880's era of the Great Cattle Drives.  The "old" toggle rifles dominated (namely '66's and '73's).   These were all pistol caliber rifles ment to accompany similarly chambered side arms.  The old toggles were not designed to withstand the higher pressures of the big rifle rounds of the time (i.e. 45-70 Gov't). 

Long action repeaters started with the '76 (45-60) and became much more common with the '86 and then the '94.  Long Action repeaters were mainly hunting weapons.  They didn't carry as much ammo and they had alot more punch than you needed to drop a man.

The practical answers:

Most modern mild steel CAS range cowboy targets aren't heavy enough to withstand repeated heavy/high velocity rifle shots.  Slow pistol caliber rounds provide less wear to the mild steel, thus prolonging the life of the target.  Many CAS ranges have regulations posted saying "pistol caliber ammo only" for this reason.

Most CAS Stages require 10 rounds in your rifle to complete a stage.  If you are toting a '94 in .30 WCF, you likely will need to reload it as it will only hold 5 rounds in the magazine.  Most of your '73's, Henry's, and '66's will hold 10+, depending on barrel length.

Pancho

NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 05:41:28 PM »
There is an article in the current Shooting Times, I think, about the early long action Marlins.  About 1881 or a bit earlier for .45-70 in a levergun.  Winchester had to buy J.M. Browning to match it with the 1886.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com