Author Topic: Colt SAA 1993  (Read 2873 times)

Offline Forastero

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Colt SAA 1993
« on: September 30, 2011, 05:23:13 PM »
Hello, I just joined this forum although I’ve been visiting it for a few months. Lots of fun and useful information!

I have the opportunity to buy over here, in Belgium, a Colt SAA in 45 LC, wooden grips, serial number SA990XX. My understanding is that this gun was made around 1993 as in that year Colt attained number SA99999 and replaced the SA prefix by the new format SXXXXXA.      

The revolver is in perfect condition and in its original box. After having seen it, I believe it has never been shot. They ask for EUR 1100 (around USD 1500), which is a reasonable price for a Colt SAA in Europe – you see few of them over here. Believe it or not, Ubertis are not found much cheaper than that. Rugers are not common and I’ve never seen a USFA.

My question doesn’t concern the price but the average quality during that date of manufacture. I’ve read horror stories about Colt SAA’s poor quality during the late 70’s and early 80’s and also good appraisals of current production units but I don’t know how things were back in 1993. Forgive my ignorance but I’m not a SAA expert at all and after having inspected the revolver on sale the only thing I can say is that it looks great externally, nothing else. Maybe you can make a wild guess judging from the picture:
http://www.bliki.net/colt-3

I’m not a collector so I’d certainly shoot the gun, but not a lot –  between 100 and 200 rounds, either standard pressure or soft loads, per year.

I must admit I do like the idea of buying a Colt but I don’t like guns that fall apart or constantly need to be fixed.

Thank you for your guidance.

Offline River Jordan

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Colt SAA 1993
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 10:04:10 AM »
My experience has been good with very early 3rd gen guns. I have a 1977 and a 1978 and they are well made.

I believe that 1993 - 1998 or so are the suspect years as I have seen some poor quality externally on these models.

I owned a 1997 that had an uneven buffing of the triggerguard and the triggerguard did not meet flush with the sides of the frame. There was also a bit of extra cylinder play in this gun as well.

I have seen instances of nickel finishes flaking off in this same date range as well.

My experience may be the opposite from others as I may have the exceptions to waht you have heard about early thirds.

Offline Doc Sunrise

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 03:23:33 PM »
I specifically collect Nickel plated 1993's for the year my son was born.  They have all been very good to excellent.  There are earlier 3rd gens from late 78 to early 80's that had some real royal problems with quality control.  Those 3rd gens I completely gave up on.  I think you would be happy with your find. 

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:15:07 PM »

Offline Forastero

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 01:58:22 PM »
Thank you for your replies, I'll check my bank account again to see if I can afford it!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com