Author Topic: barrel ring in trapdoor  (Read 2260 times)

Offline Warren T Upp

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
barrel ring in trapdoor
« on: August 25, 2011, 03:32:34 PM »
howdy!! just purchased a beeyoutiful 84 trapdoor ramrod, all wood great w/ cartouches correct & proofmark, all metal with great bluing remaining, all barrell and inspectors marks original. arsenal markingks show original barrell, a truly wonderful looking 84..............except.............it has a ring in the otherwise beutifully rifled barrel, about 6 inches from the muzzle, goues all the way around rifling, but there is no swelling of barrel, i have posted on a couple of other sites asking this question, trying to accumulate as much info has possible, is it safe to shoot? is it possible it will be accurate? does the ring affect the "collector, not shooter" value. any answers/opinions or info much appreciated, will try to post pics in next day or so.........WTU
proud to be an American-American

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: barrel ring in trapdoor
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 07:52:52 PM »
I would think it would be safe, unless the ring was from shooting a smokeless powder load after a stuck bullet.  That may have caused some action damage.  You may want to take it to a gunsmith and have him check the action and the head space.  As to how well it shoots?  Well you will just have to try it.   I once had a 38-40 Bisley Colt that had a bulged barrel and it shot very well.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com